U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 AM

13,639 posts, read 26,059,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I grew up in Pullman (near Spokane) and never met a person from Iowa or saw an Iowan plate until I moved to CO. The Midwest does not even register on Spokane folks-I wouldn't worry
Yeah, when I moved to Spokane from Colorado I might as well have told people I moved from Mars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As a self-described left-of-center person, you'll love the Spokane media, which never met a Democrat it didn't like or a Republican who shouldn't be put into a re-education camp.
I agree with this (see: Spokesman-Review), but I draw the line at KXLY-TV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 AM

649 posts, read 1,574,474 times
Quote:
As long as you are prepared to stay inside pretty much from late October until mid-June, and don't have a hang-up about going weeks without seeing the sun, Spokane will rock for you.

99% of the people in Spokane wouldn't have any idea what an Iowa license plate looks like, where Iowa is, or why anyone from Iowa would either a) be concerned about what others think of them, or b) want to move to Spokane, anyway.

As a self-described left-of-center person, you'll love the Spokane media, which never met a Democrat it didn't like or a Republican who shouldn't be put into a re-education camp. There are plenty of basically knee-jerk progressives about. Have no fear. You'll be able to isolate yourself among the other lefties and insulate yourself from those who differ from you, unwashed and ignorant fools that they are. You'll hate the local election results, though.

A prediction? You'll be ready for Seattle in a couple of years -- three, tops. Just plan on being wealthy enough to make the move....
i don't think this poster has ever been in spokane because first of all to say you'd have to stay indoors for over 8 months is insane! some winters we don't get snow, and the 2-3 months that do get snow in the winter doesn't mean it stays on the ground that entire time. like now for instance, in the past few days it's snowed but melted right away, so no big deal. plus all throughout the winter even with lots of snow the sun comes out and we have blue sky, it'll be cold but it's nice to see the blue sky and not have the oppressive gray clouds all winter long like on the coast. and to say that spokane is liberal is totally off the mark. this city polls right wing without fail. so take if from someone who acturally lives here, this post is way off the mark, especially in reference to spokane media, the local newspaper couldn't be anymore republican!! we do have a liberal mayor but for state and national elections spokane goes republican without fail. and why would anyone want to live 364 days a year under the damp cold gray sky over seattle?.............just so they can have better restuants???? well that does fit into the yuppy attitude prevalent in seattle

Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 PM

20,100 posts, read 22,010,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
i don't think this poster has ever been in spokane because first of all to say you'd have to stay indoors for over 8 months is insane! some winters we don't get snow, and the 2-3 months that do get snow in the winter doesn't mean it stays on the ground that entire time. like now for instance, in the past few days it's snowed but melted right away, so no big deal. plus all throughout the winter even with lots of snow the sun comes out and we have blue sky, it'll be cold but it's nice to see the blue sky and not have the oppressive gray clouds all winter long like on the coast. and to say that spokane is liberal is totally off the mark. this city polls right wing without fail. so take if from someone who acturally lives here, this post is way off the mark, especially in reference to spokane media, the local newspaper couldn't be anymore republican!! we do have a liberal mayor but for state and national elections spokane goes republican without fail. and why would anyone want to live 364 days a year under the damp cold gray sky over seattle?.............just so they can have better restuants???? well that does fit into the yuppy attitude prevalent in seattle
1. I lived in Spokane longer than this poster has probably been alive.

2. It snowed last night in Spokane, and there have been MAJOR storms since early November. As usual.

3. Concerning cloudiness, here is the Spokane chart from City-Data:

And here's Seattle's:

I don't see much difference, do you? Of course, one has to be willing to accept objective reality and actually do a quick Google. Both of those skills are apparently above the intellectual pay grade of most Spokanites. As is capitalization, apparently.

4. The Pacific Northwest Inlander, as well as the Spokeswoman-Review, lean so far left that they're practically Pravda with frostbite. When the S/R grows up, it wants to be the Oregonian. When the Inlander grows up, it wants to be The Stranger. Give them time. They're working on it.

5. There are plenty of yuppies in Spokane. It's just that as soon as they've figure how to do it, they join the flock of left-wing lemmings in Seattle and yuck it up over the hicks on the east side.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 PM

968 posts, read 1,886,094 times
Quote:

4. The Pacific Northwest Inlander, as well as the Spokeswoman-Review, lean so far left that they're practically Pravda with frostbite. When the S/R grows up, it wants to be the Oregonian. When the Inlander grows up, it wants to be The Stranger. Give them time. They're working on it.
Hmmmm. Spokesman endorsed McCain over Obama in 2008, Bush over Kerry in 2004, and Bush over Gore in 2000. The frostbite must have affected only the left side of the Spokesman since they seem to lean right.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM

649 posts, read 1,574,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Hmmmm. Spokesman endorsed McCain over Obama in 2008, Bush over Kerry in 2004, and Bush over Gore in 2000. The frostbite must have affected only the left side of the Spokesman since they seem to lean right.
right on!!! and i've lived in both seattle and spokane and there's a huge difference between the two as far as sunhine is concered i don't care how many charts he post!!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM

389 posts, read 980,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanNatureWoman View Post
Relocating from Iowa to Spokane. I erroneously made a post asking for rants and raves about Spokane via Spokane.craigslist, and was made to believe that the locals are not very welcoming... Especially of Iowans. I will not even post what was said, the responses were so crass and hateful, but I am now under the impression that I will need to change my plates the minute I arrive, then never even think of mentioning that I am from Iowa once we're settled in if we want to be accepted. Lol.

Can any Spokane, WA residents- current, past, or life-long, give me advice on what areas to stay away from as far as living is concerned, what the locals are like in a nutshell, as well as pros and cons? Is Spokane more liberal, conservative, or centrist? Where are the best schools? I would greatly appreciate any info you are able/willing to give. We have a toddler, so safety is supreme.

Thank-you for your time!
You went to CRAIGSLIST for information? LOL

Well, I'd describe Spokane as a somewhat conservative-centrist politically semi-desert foothills-of-the-Rockies kind of place.

Pros:
Lower than average cost of living (compared to the rest of the U.S.).
MUCH lower cost of living than much of the West Coast.
BEAUTIFUL summers.
No humidity.
Lots of winter sports activities to do.
Beautiful parks.
NO state income tax
NO food tax
Very little in the way of natural disasters (though fires are fairly common due to the dry summers).

Cons:
Property taxes (they're through the roof).
Long, harsh winters.
If you're not into winter sports, winters can be quite boring... and long.
No North-South Interstate, so if you want to go to Boise for a trip or anywhere else somewhat directly South, it's a bit of a rough (though beautiful) journey.
Somewhat depressed job market (although where isn't there a depressed economy these days?)

As far as accepting "outsiders", I don't think that's much of an issue.. for example, I work for TSA at the airport. Of the people that I work with, I'd say at least half aren't from the area originally. The same has been true of other jobs (although perhaps not quite half of the work force) I've held.

I wouldn't describe people as friendly here per se (I'm from the South though, so friendly to me is a bit different than what friendly here means), but most people aren't outright rude.

Overall it's a nice enough place to live if you can stomach the winters. Summer doesn't hit until July though, and usually ends in August... although September is very nice during the day.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Endorsements are the paper`s owner speaking, as you well know. Check out the day-by-day drone of lefty opinions on the editorial page. Start with Gary Crooks` "Smartbombs" (a misnomer if there ever was one....)

And I note you didn`t even mention the Inlander. Gee I wonder why.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM

968 posts, read 1,886,094 times
Quote:
Endorsements are the paper`s owner speaking, as you well know. Check out the day-by-day drone of lefty opinions on the editorial page. Start with Gary Crooks` "Smartbombs" (a misnomer if there ever was one....)

And I note you didn`t even mention the Inlander. Gee I wonder why.

I am not arguing, but only making a point. Regardless, newspapers are heading the way of dinosaurs anyway.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I am not arguing, but only making a point. Regardless, newspapers are heading the way of dinosaurs anyway.
<Shrug>. The online editions of the Spokane papers are no better.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
right on!!! and i've lived in both seattle and spokane and there's a huge difference between the two as far as sunhine is concered i don't care how many charts he post!!!!
Attagirl. Don't let those facts cloud your mind.

You just enjoy life there in the Ingrown Empire. I hear it was zero fahrenheit over the weekend.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area