U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

Few Craigs list forums are serious places to get credible info. It's not the place to capture info or data for decision-making. I'd just ignore everything you learned there and start over with an open mind.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 96,130 times
Agree. I just thought I'd give CL viewers the benefit of the doubt. No worries, this forum has provided what I was looking for.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,168,269 times
Spokane is absolutley beautiful. We get all four seasons. Spring thru summer I would recommend Manito Park, Riverfront Park, and the many trails we have around. Bowl and pitcher trail is a great photo op. Fall once again I would venture up to Manito Park and the surrounding neighborhoods, take in the beauty of the colors of fall. Winter, head to the mountains or simply take a ride to Coeur D'alene.

I used to want to leave Spokane. But, when you get out and experience what it has to offer, it makes all the difference.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

43 posts, read 101,820 times
I just ran onto this post...sorry I'm late. I moved to Cd'A, ID in 1999 after 52 years in Iowa...born, raised, educated there. I am familiar with Greenfield. I am quite surprised you heard/felt the area here unwelcoming. We have been most accepted here and Spokane as well. N ID and E WA are somewhat conservative, particularly comparing the areas to Seattle. We have good schools in Cd'A (this can be verified online). It's an outdoors paradise, lots of beautiful and clean lakes and rivers and NO humidity like Iowa We have turkey and deer on our property daily and elk maybe weekly and moose on occasion as well and we are 2 mi. south of Cd'A. We DO get snow, so do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Our hospital here is excellent and the ones in Spokane enjoy good reputations as well. Spokane in particular has wonderful restaurants. We have a lively arts community, very professional community theater, many events and festivals, particularly summertime. If I were picking an elementary school, I would pick the Dalton or Winton or Skyway districts, but actually all schools are good. Feel free to email me privately with specific questions.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM

231 posts, read 512,131 times
I moved to Spokane last January from Southern California. I have never lived in snow before and it was a real eye opener. Last Winter was mild but this Winter we had record snow for November (2010). Lots of people make comments about those damn Californians moving up here. Many of the people I have talked to moved here from California and they love it here. My wife was talking to a local the other day and he said that you can never predict the weather here. You could have several mild Winters and then several harsh Winters. It is a total crap shoot on which you will get. My experience confirms that with both already. I usually tell people I am from South of here unless prompted further. I think as long as you are not one of those people that is always talking about how great the place you came from was, you will be fine. People just don't want to hear how great other places are from people living in their place. You left that place for a reason.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 AM

32 posts, read 130,090 times
Default RealtorMan1

I will match up Spokane's weather to almost any city among the top one half of the nation. No attrosities of weather; tornados, huge hail storms, hurricanes, long lasting snow, raining all the time, humidity, etc.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,394 times
I grew up in Spokane, and have relocated to Seattle (for much better job prospects and more culture). You definately won't find any nightlife there, but it's a growing city. There are two major shopping malls (Northtown and the Valley Mall). As far as entertainment, that's pretty much all you're going to get. However, there are some beautiful parks (Riverside State Park, Riverfront Park, Manito Park), if you're outdoorsy.
As far as people in Spokane accepting outsiders, I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Fairchild Airforce Base has been a major part of Spokane for many years, and contributes a lot to the community. The base brings a fair amount of 'outsiders' to the city. There are several colleges that bring some variety too (Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga U, Whitworth).
As far as neighborhoods go, the South Hill is very nice, as well as Shadle. I personally grew up outside of Airway Heights (which you'll probably want to steer clear of) and went to Medical Lake High School (I found Medical Lake schools to be pretty good). It's a cute little town not too far from the city.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 27,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Attagirl. Don't let those facts cloud your mind.

You just enjoy life there in the Ingrown Empire. I hear it was zero fahrenheit over the weekend.....
I live over on the "west" side in "sunny" Sequim. I regularly check the weather and talk with my counterparts in Spokane as I work for Dept of Homeland Security. It is much sunnier and warmer in Spokane starting in April. Sequim and Spokane get approx. the same amount of rain. Sequim however, which is supposed to get "300" days of sunshine, is cloudy way more that Spokane.

While the charts you posted do not look very different to you, they do to someone like me who now gets depressed when it is so cloudy all the time....We are seriously looking to move over to the eastern side of the state because while the winters can be more severe with more snow, there is no doubt what-so-ever that the Spokane area gets more sunshine and is much drier in humidity. The west side is a marine climate due to the proximity to the Puget Sound. As far as leaning left, it is all in the prospective. Here on the west side of the state, the majority left is way more left than those that lean that way on the east side of the state as I read the news as well as talk with people from both areas. I live in a very liberal area of transplanted Californians (myself being one of them) and feel stuck here in the middle.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM

20,098 posts, read 21,996,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet5 View Post
I live over on the "west" side in "sunny" Sequim. I regularly check the weather and talk with my counterparts in Spokane as I work for Dept of Homeland Security. It is much sunnier and warmer in Spokane starting in April. Sequim and Spokane get approx. the same amount of rain. Sequim however, which is supposed to get "300" days of sunshine, is cloudy way more that Spokane.

While the charts you posted do not look very different to you, they do to someone like me who now gets depressed when it is so cloudy all the time....We are seriously looking to move over to the eastern side of the state because while the winters can be more severe with more snow, there is no doubt what-so-ever that the Spokane area gets more sunshine and is much drier in humidity. The west side is a marine climate due to the proximity to the Puget Sound. As far as leaning left, it is all in the prospective. Here on the west side of the state, the majority left is way more left than those that lean that way on the east side of the state as I read the news as well as talk with people from both areas. I live in a very liberal area of transplanted Californians (myself being one of them) and feel stuck here in the middle.
Poor Sequim. Most mispronounced town in America.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM

80 posts, read 189,711 times
IowanNatureWoman, as you arrive with family you'll do fine and you can tolerate the vast and many shortcomings Slumkane does not offer to the educated.

Slumkane County is characterised as the "most conservative county" in WA-state. I usually reply to such a comment as to why there is such limited opportunity in SkamKane and no real social interfaces to grow a life in Spookylou.

So, with your family and perhaps lifestyle you find a social and other niches to occupy.

As for me, a single white guy in Krapkane, well, forget about it.

I hope you do well. Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area