Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 AM

40 posts, read 79,877 times

Advertisements

Didn't find much in search. Spokane seems about the size of where I am now, and I was just wondering if Spokane is LGBT-friendly or not? It seems to have all the outdoorsy-ness of Washington State, plus the gay rights, without all the rain and without being in a huge city such as Seattle.

Is there a market for clinical massage therapy and holistic health as well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Well, since no one has responded to you, I will give you my opinion. Please note that although my Spokane experience is relatively extensive, my opinion on your particular subject is very limited.

For the most part, the entire Pacific NorthWest has more of a "live and let live" kind of attitude. Most people are fairly aloof to what other people do, as long as it doesn't directly affect them. This attitude has it's good points - people usually don't pressure others to go to church, don't usually pressure others about lifestyle choices, etc - but also has it's bad points - people often don't go out of their way to help others out around here.

I should note, however, that the national media attention of the so-called Washington State "gay rights movement" is actually a very divisive point between a few very liberal counties around the Seattle area vs. the rest of the state. Take a look at this web page, for example, about the results of the gay marriage vote:

Referendum Measure No. 74 Concerns marriage for same-sex couples

But, on the other hand, I live in a VERY conservative town in NE Washington, and we have a few gay clients at my clinic, and as far as I know, they have never been harassed/treated unfairly. And I'm sure Spokane is more accepting than my town is.

Sorry, I don't know if that helps you at all. Can't help about the alternative medicine thing, either.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM

196 posts, read 231,585 times
From my 23 years in Spokane, I really never saw any anti-gay hate or anything of the sort that I can remember. The above poster put it well saying there is a "live and let live" type of attitude. I would agree 100%.

There is a bar downtown called Dempsey's (at least there was a few years ago) that is a hangout for LGBT folks. My friends played a joke on me one time and left me in there one night before I knew what it was haha. When I walked out of the bathroom and figured out what was going on I found them outside having a good laugh. Not really my crowd, but it felt like a pretty happy place.

When I was back there this summer, there was actually a transgender individual working at the Olive Garden downtown and I didn't notice anyone really staring or whispering much. I think it is pretty much accepted in the area, though I don't see an overabundance of the folks, but as I said, I don't hang out in that crowd so they may be more prevalent than I realize.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Outside of loud-mouthed religous right wing people on TV or the internet nobody really cares about GLB(ISGD)Q that much. I find that most people, generally, have a lot going for them. Their sexuality is the least of my worries. There is so much more going on in the world than what is in your pants. Spokane is a great place to live. Again, most people do not care. Enjoy the spring, there is a good pride parade that is well attended here, enjoy the summer and brace yourself for the winter (Spokane is my home but it is one of the ugliest cities during winter time, ugh). There are a surprising amount of decent places to eat, some good culture and nice people so welcome to the city.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Straight old white guy here, long-time Spokane resident. You know, the black hat.

Seriously --- Spokane is cool. No one is going to hassle you. And there is a small but relatively hip gay community.

I second the opinions above. You need to worry about the real Spokane problems, like finding a decent job and learning to live with six months of dreary winter. The rest of it goes away when you start making friends.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM

40 posts, read 79,877 times
Well that's good to hear. I see lots of jobs on Craigslist for massage therapists, so it seems like there would be a better job market for me here as opposed to Seattle or Portland.

As long as there's plenty of outdoorsy things to do and enough of a gay population for me to get some dates and meet people, I'll be good!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornJuju View Post
Well that's good to hear. I see lots of jobs on Craigslist for massage therapists, so it seems like there would be a better job market for me here as opposed to Seattle or Portland.

As long as there's plenty of outdoorsy things to do and enough of a gay population for me to get some dates and meet people, I'll be good!
Just remember your longjohns. You're gonna need 'em.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornJuju View Post

Today, even if the Gay bars diminish in number to zero, there's online dating everywhere. I've forsaken the Gay bars entirely, meet everyone today online, Craigslist, or wherever! The risk of getting a DUI going to/coming from a bar today, why risk it!!!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 25,819 times
I was unsure of my sexuality throughout highschool (I'm 19 now) and never had any issues because of it. Of course there are some teenagers who will go "omg eww" but I've never actually been made to feel uncomfortable for my choices and I don't hear about hate crimes or anything like that.
I think it's a pretty LGBT friendly place. We don't really have gay bars or anything like that, so if you're looking for a place to be flamboyantly gay with lots of others like you then you might want to consider Seattle instead. But if you just want to settle down etc then spokane would be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area