U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

Hey! My fiance and I are making the move from Pasadena, California up to Spokane sometime in the next two months (we'll be married by then, yay!) He was born and lived in Santiago, the capitol of Chile, until he was 10, and then grew up here in the orange county/los angeles area. He will be taking up a new job there in Spokane. Obviously, he is a big city boy. I was born and raised in Tulsa Oklahoma, and have lived here in SoCal for about 8 years now. Tulsa is a big city, a bit bigger than Spokane I think, but it's nothing like LA. I lived a long time as a child on a 13 acre farm with horses, cows, a fruit orchard, the whole nine-yards, and I loved it. I also absolutely love Pasadena and southern california and never really imagined myself leaving... But here we are. Point is, I'm under the impression that the outdoorsy, tree climbing, fishing, horseback riding, little girl inside will be thoroughly pleased, even excited, with Spokane. The older girl in me, the one who belongs to the Screen Actors Guild, who likes to get dressed up and go to fancy Hollywood restaraunts, wine-bars, theater, who shops at Anthropologie, and has a horrible addiction to book-binding and paper-crafts, will be wondering whether i've grown up grown or gone backward. PLEASE tell me, that there is a neighborhood in the city, just slim drive to the outskirts, that will do for us!
We're in our mid 20's, we're not concerned with schools or anything like that at the moment. We want to be in a neighborhood with other people close to our age, close to a nice bar, some restaraunts and shopping, but still be able to take advantage of the awesome natural wonders of Washington.

Any pointers?!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM

1,002 posts, read 4,518,401 times
Anywhere on the south hill from downtown up to about 37th Street will be convenient to all the trendy wine bars, shops, restaurants, etc, that are downtown. There are also neighborhood shopping centers along the main arterials near 29th and Grand, 29th and Regal, Grand Blvd. near Manito Park. They are older neighborhoods but there are a lot of young professionals that live in these areas. What part of town will your husband be working? Even if he's working in the valley, he will be able to get onto I-90 from downtown for a quick commute to the east.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 AM

649 posts, read 1,575,111 times
I second WendyK's suggestion of area to pick to live; however Pasadena is really cool and "uptown" compared to anything, (even Seattle) in this area, so this will be a tremendous lifestyle change for you. I lived near Pasadena, in Thousand Oaks in southern ca, so am familiar of the lifestyle down there. Life is much much slower here, people are very down-to-earth, but this doesn't mean "hickish" at all though. You'll miss the "bubbly" energy of southern californian's however people here are much more "real". The area east of Grand around 10th ave up to 29th is cool, there's Huckleberry's a natural foods store and a couple nice resturants on Lincoln/Maple Street and Manito park. This area has a lot of craftsmen and victorian homes very similar to Pasadena, in fact it feels a lot like downtown Pasadena but on a smaller scale and with even more trees then what you have down there. It's also very hilly here so driving around here when it snows will be a new experience for you. But good luck on your move and prepare yourself for a much much slower life with more reserved people. ( But LOTS LESS EXPENSIVE!!! You'll be very pleased on how far your rent dollars go and what you can live in compared to down there.)

Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 AM

389 posts, read 980,734 times
Well, the one advantage that you will have is if you absolutely crave city life, Seattle is only about a 5 hour drive or so from Spokane, and is only a 45 minute flight.

Pretty much anything outdoorsy can be found within about a 20 minute drive from practically anywhere in Spokane, so if you want to hike, ski, bike, etc., there will be plenty of opportunities for that, even if you live downtown thanks to Riverfront Park.

One warning though, winters can vary from mild (it's been in the 30s for much of the winter so far this winter), to downright frigid (and below 0). One November a few years ago, we saw 24 straight days where the daytime high remained below freezing and nights were in the single digits to teens. So be prepared for long, harsh, bitterly cold winters... they DO happen fairly frequently, as does snow.

A couple years back we had two brutal winters in a row where we got up to 3 feet per dumping of snow, all in a relatively short period of time. So if you do come up here, make sure you have a front-wheel or all-wheel-drive vehicle and invest in some snow tires. You'll need them.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 AM

5,070 posts, read 7,249,983 times
Kendall Yards? Only a 10 minute walk to downtown.
My husband and I were checking it out last weekend (we have a daughter who might be interested) and it's within an easy walk to corner pubs and looks like it will be a young, fairly hip (by Spokane's standards) community.
Kendallyards.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area