Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 02:31 AM

4 posts, read 24,248 times

Advertisements

I'd really appreciate feedback from those who live in the area. We're planning a big move from Ca to either Northside Spokane or CDA/surrounding areas. We're looking at custom/semi custom homes in the 800k to 1.2m range on 5-10 acres/

Please provide quick ratings (1 low to 5 high) for the following:

CDA vs. Spokane
  • Schools
  • Traffic
  • Demeanor of folks who live there
  • Shoppings/stores
  • Medical care
  • Availability of services (electricians, plumbers, etc)
  • Weather
  • Overall quality of live
  • Social activities (stuff to do)

Other things we should consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
Perhaps someone else can offer info on Cd'A, but here's my take on what you're looking for in North Spokane. In your price range, you will be able to purchase an estate type luxury home. There are a few neighborhoods that have these types of homes on acreage (Legacy Hills, Buckeye Valley Estates, River Bluff Ranch) or you can also find individual homes on larger parcels that are not connected with a "subdivision" - just depends on your preference.

Schools on the north side of town would be mainly in the Mead district, which is one of the top rated districts in Spokane. There are also quality private schools, St. George's & Northwest Christian has their HS campus on the north side and their elementary/Middle schools are on the central, lower north side.

Traffic varies depending on the time of day and where you are coming from and/or going to. Main arterials leading north are Hwy. 2 or Hwy 395. Division St. is what these highways are called in town and it does get somewhat congested, especially during peak hours. There are other streets you can take to avoid Division. But after talking with other Californians, our traffic here - even when it's bad - is NOTHING compared to California roads.

Demeanor of residents - hmmmm...I hate to make generalizations because everyone is different, but in general I would say that people are friendly, helpful and courteous but will offer you privacy when you want it. You will find friendly folks at the grocery store who will chat while waiting in line. I think this really depends on your expectations and how you come across to others. You'll also run into those with a chip on their shoulder with a bad attitude. I really think this depends on what type of people you seek out - in meeting parents of your children's friends, churches or clubs you might join, you'll find people you get along with when you find something you have in common with them.

Shopping on the north side is wonderful - so many choices in grocery, clothing, specialty stores & restaurants. There are shopping centers along both highways 2 & 395, also the Northtown Mall is further down at the intersection of Division & Wellesley. There's also a brand new movie theater that opened near Wandermere on Hwy 395. Lowes, Home Depot, Costco, Fred Meyer - all have north side locations.

Spokane is very well known for good medical services. Lots of choices in doctors, dentists, orthodontists, chiropractors, etc...North side hospital is Holy Family which has a whole network of physicians in nearby offices.

Other services are best found by referral - when I hear of a recommendation for a good electrician, handyman, etc..I keep track of their name & number. There are a bunch of these type workers around but I've found that it's hard to get someone to come out to your house for a small job. Big projects are easier - they know they'll get paid more and take more time.

Weather can best be described as a true 4 season climate with a few weeks of extreme heat and extreme cold in the summer & winter. This past 2 week period has been very hot for Spokane - temps in the 90s and low 100's. But yesterday finally brought some much needed rain and cooler temps. The air is very dry here - low humidity. Spring & fall are very enjoyable with some rain but temperatures stay moderate. Winter can be long & depressing, unless you're really into the winter sports. Shorter days mean less daylight and temps can go down to 0, but usually hover in the 20's & 30's. You'll get some snow but nothing that will keep you housebound. Major roads are pretty well maintained, especially where school buses run.

Quality of life and social activities - well, I'm a little prejudiced because I absolutely love living here. I think Spokane offers so much to residents to enjoy, both inside and outdoor activities. There is an extensive parks & rec dept. that offers tons of activities for kids & adults to enjoy the natural resources available in Spokane. The Little Spokane River, the Spokane River, Riverside Park, Riverfront Park, Manito Park and all its sub-parks. The Centennial Trail which runs from Nine Mile Falls all the way to Idaho. Wineries, concerts, arts & crafts shows, the Spokane Symphony, Broadway series at the performance center, sports at the Spokane Veteran's Arena, baseball games, kids sports teams, etc.

I think you'll find similarities in Cd'A but on a smaller scale. Hopefully someone else will respond with answers that pertain to that area.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
Default I messed up

Just realized you wanted number ratings for each of the categories so I'm adding that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgui View Post
I'd really appreciate feedback from those who live in the area. We're planning a big move from Ca to either Northside Spokane or CDA/surrounding areas. We're looking at custom/semi custom homes in the 800k to 1.2m range on 5-10 acres/

Please provide quick ratings (1 low to 5 high) for the following:

CDA vs. Spokane
  • Schools 5
  • Traffic 4
  • Demeanor of folks who live there 5
  • Shoppings/stores 5
  • Medical care 5
  • Availability of services (electricians, plumbers, etc) 4
  • Weather 4
  • Overall quality of live 5
  • Social activities (stuff to do) 5

Other things we should consider?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: