U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM

161 posts, read 688,184 times

Advertisements

im single asain male, maybe relocating to spokane for job reasons. im a bit concerned about hate crimes i read about in local papers. will i exprience overt hostility, or people in spokane tolorant of other cultures?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM

649 posts, read 1,571,084 times
i haven't lived here that long and i'm not a minority so my input may not be very representative but i want to respond to your post. the people in this area seem to be polite and sorta middle-of-the-road as far as out-goingness. it is a mostly white population however, but because of being close to north idaho where there's a history of white-supremest activity this makes outsiders think spokane is like that as well. i don't think so though. there's enough people from somewhere else, here in spokane so that if you're a minority you won't be treated any different then anybody else. i hope this helps and i hope you move here because diversity makes any area a more interesting place to be.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 AM

389 posts, read 979,443 times
I've lived here for about 8 years, but I have yet to see any overt racism. One of my closest friends here (well, until he moved a couple months ago with his wife) was of Chinese descent and he didn't have any problems getting along with others.

If you're concerned about potential racism, Spokane is likely as good a place as any, and far better than some other areas of Northern Idaho or certain places in the South.

As far as tolerance for other cultures goes, there seems to be plenty of that here. I'm sure you could find a handful of people who were intolerant, but you could find them anywhere. There is, for example, a Japanese girls' school here (The Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute), there is a fair amount of Native American culture here, and I think that you'll find a good place to live almost anywhere in the area.

That said, there are some bad neighborhoods here (as with any town). For example, I wouldn't go to Hillyard or certain places on the North Side... but for the most part, the good & bad is intermixed and I don't think crime here is terrible.

From your profile, it looks like you're from Denver... I'm sure you're used to cold winters, but Denver's weather is very fickle and changeable... it will be 20 degrees and snowing one day and then 60 the next. That doesn't happen here, at least as far as warm temps go in the winter. We're lucky if we see 40-50 degree weather for a few weeks out of the winter.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM

13,624 posts, read 26,006,275 times
Pro: Spokane is nothing like Denver.
Pro: In Spokane, I never saw or felt evidence of racism/ethnic prejudice (as a half-Hispanic).

Con: I'm not moving back to Spokane yet.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 PM

33 posts, read 121,222 times
I've been living in Spokane for a year now, & I've never heard any overtly rascist comments.....& I work with quite a number of 'minorities' who I'm sure would say something if it was a common thing. A couple of the Afro-American guys have mentioned being 'profiled' while driving their nice cars, but other than that nothing. I've found Spokane to be a very easy-going place to live, people are friendly, but not overtly so.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,988,320 times
No prob, man. Spokane sucks in a lot of ways, but racism is not one of them. They elected an Asian-American state senator recently, and have had a Japanese women's college extension campus on the nothwest side for twenty years.

Be prepared for probably the lousiest weather in America, though. Unless you LIKE week after week of gray overcast skies, four months of snow and a six-week summer with temps in the 100s.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 AM

13,624 posts, read 26,006,275 times
Do we need to mention James Everett Chase again?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM

968 posts, read 1,884,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
im single asain male, maybe relocating to spokane for job reasons. im a bit concerned about hate crimes i read about in local papers. will i exprience overt hostility, or people in spokane tolorant of other cultures?
I doubt it. I remember going to protest the first white supremacy parade in Couer d'Alene many years ago. It was both pathetic and inspiring. Pathetic to see about 40 people in Nazi regalia marching three blocks and seeing little kids doing the Hitler salute. Inspiring to see nearly 4500 people protesting the march, to realize that the area and community as a whole rejected these malcontents. So, I dont think you will have a problem.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 AM

20,094 posts, read 21,988,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Do we need to mention James Everett Chase again?
Good man. I used to drink beer with him at the Bulldog tavern on Hamilton every Friday afternoon.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM

968 posts, read 1,884,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
You may not want to move to Spokane Valley. It's the most pale city in a generally pale state.

Census 2010 | New census figures show the changing face of the state | Seattle Times Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area