U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 PM

649 posts, read 1,570,502 times

Advertisements

just that i found pnw people to be pretty blunt...........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,337,685 times
I guess so. Seattleites have many faults, one being anti-social, and fake, or to put it in "city-data" language, "The freeze". But we will put our opinions out there, bluntly, yes. Good read on that.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 AM

20,094 posts, read 21,983,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
hey yeladaf are you currently in japan???? if so are you affected by the earthquake???? want to share what's happened???
I am indeed in Japan -- actually in Spokane`s sister city, Nishinomiya, which is a suburb of Osaka. We are okay, though the long rolling and shaking we felt yesteday was pretty unnerving. Thanks for asking. You might remember that this area had a terrible quake about 17 years ago.

The damage in some areas of the northern Pacific coast is substantial. The latest news we have received is that one of the nuclear reactors which was flooded has exploded.

The long-term effects on Japan`s economy -- the world`s third-largest -- will be substantial. But these people are very resilient.

By coincidence, I will be visiting my family in Spokane in a week or so. I sure hope it warms up there by then...

Last edited by Yeledaf; 03-12-2011 at 02:43 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM

yeledef thanks for the info and i hope you are safe........this is the worst tragedy to hit japan since aug '45. aren't you concerned with the radio active fallout??

Old 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,983,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
yeledef thanks for the info and i hope you are safe........this is the worst tragedy to hit japan since aug '45. aren't you concerned with the radio active fallout??
Actually, the 1995 Hanshin earthquake was terrible, as well.

From what I have been hearing, any potential fallout from the nuclear plant explosions will drift eastward, toward the Pacific, and thus pose little threat to humans.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

that's good....and hope no other plants become an additional threat...japan has a lot of nuclear plants all over the main island. very bad situation for lots of people. hope the shakes stop so that they can get on with rescue. good news....spokane is supose to get up in the 50's so bring your sunblock.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 PM

194 posts, read 441,040 times
What jumps out at me most is that you'll be moving from Florida to Spokane and the climate changes you'll face. The winters are very harsh in comparison to Florida's winters. Just be prepared for many days of 30 degrees and below, lots of clouds, sometimes lots of snow. Especially because you have a small child, you'll end up spending a lot of time indoors. You'll experience a major lifestyle change during the winters. Spring, Summer and Fall are gorgeous...so no worries there. Good luck and I'm with Yeledaf..you should try it out, rent first and then buy after at least a year. Go through a winter and then decide

Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM

194 posts, read 441,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optumist View Post
I don't mind rain and would love to see snow.
Oh and that statement...that statement spells trouble...spokane winters are a B!#$* Take it from a California girl....a lover of the sun and sand. You'll be in for a rude awakening when you have to deal with the bone chilling cold...and let's not forget about all the fun shoveling, freezing and slipping that goes along with it. I was pretty naive when I moved to Spokane thinking that I could deal with all those changes. Bottom line is, you sound a lot like me at one time. Hopefully you can give it a test run and have it all work out...and don't end up being stuck where you don't want to be. I'm lucky because I have the means to be where I want to be and I am back in the sunkissed golden state

Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 AM

13,623 posts, read 25,995,130 times
Devil's advocate here.

I too am from originally from sunny California (as in one of the parts where everybody lives/that gets no snow) and I do just fine with snow and winter.

In fact, I love snow, cold, and winter and I abhor sunshine. You can get used to it and may even like it if you bring an open mind.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 AM

i agree david; as an expat from california, i admit i miss the warm blue sky sometimes, but that said, i wouldn't want to live where the weather doesn't change, year round blue sky gets boring.....i'd like less snow but as i've said before anywhere that the weather is wonderful year round then the cost of living is much higher then snow country....so for me it's a trade off, higher standard of living in snow country or live in a lots less nicer place and pay more taxes and suffer more crime and traffic just to have year round blue sky......i chose snow country and more money in my pocket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area