U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,063 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live 1/2 way between Daytona Beach and Orlando, FL with our 3 year old daughter. We are looking for a change to a better place to raise our family. We have been looking at different areas in WA, but not sure which area would be best suited. We are looking for a city that has low crime rates, great schools, small town feel, but not isolated from the world, affordable housing and friendly people. I work in HR and would like to stay in the same field if possible. We would like to live somewhere that has 4 distinct seasons. I don't mind rain and would love to see snow.
***Housing - we are looking for a 3/2 - hopefully under $150k. Not sure how wages and housing compare to here, but that buys a lot of house here right now.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 PM

649 posts, read 1,570,502 times
welcome to the spokane forum and i think you'd love spokane, it fits just what you asked for. and $150,000 will buy you a beautiful home here in spokane. i'm not a native, i've recently moved here after living in lots of different areas in the usa; so spokane is my pick for settling down in my retirement. the cost of living here is very reasonable, people are nice, schools are good, utilities are low compared to lots of other states, crime is low as well and the traffic is managable. and you're not far from the coast and seattle if you want a real big city experience. spokane is geographicly very diferse. you have the idahos' mountain on the east boundary, the high plains on the west and south and more mountains to the north. there's spokane river that winds through the city which makes it interesting for views. so hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 4,507,949 times
My family moved here from Orlando/Oviedo in 1998 and we have been very happy with the move. Okay, the winters get to you after a while, but you have to get through the winter to have the beautiful spring and summer! We wanted out of Central Florida to get away from the traffic, congestion, toll roads and the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality. Here life is simpler, less competitive, way less traffic and we've actually been very fortunate with our jobs. The lakes here are amazingly clear compared to Florida lakes. There are elevation changes so you have views, and not just palmetto trees. The wildlife is spectacular and the change in seasons always offers something new to observe.
Housing here is probably higher than Central Florida right now because we didn't have the huge foreclosure wave that you guys did, but there are still some good buys. I've actually had some clients move from here to go to FL and they're buying more than what they had here, but I'd still rather be in Spokane for the quality of life.
You can check the local craigslist for job postings. Healthcare is the prevalent industry right now.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM

59 posts, read 147,341 times
It sounds like overall Spokane would be a great choice for you based on what you're looking for, but Spokane does feel like it's separated from the rest of the world. It's a long drive to any other major population centers and it seems like a very random place for the second biggest city in the state to be. That's one of the appeals for me though and since Spokane is a fairly big city it has everything you need.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,063 times
Thank you all for your information. It does sound perfect. We so desperately need a simpler, more laid back lifestyle. Are there any areas in Spokane that I should avoid?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM

39 posts, read 96,767 times
Avoid Hillyard.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,983,450 times
I find it difficult to believe that someone would leave north central Florida, with access to Disney World, the beaches, and all of that bountiful sunshine, for a frigid, economically backward area like Spokane. I strongly advise you to rent before buying, and experience one of Spokane`s interminable winters, before moving there permanently. I lived in Spokane for nearly forty years. I know of what I speak.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM

87 posts, read 181,885 times
I have too agree, I have been all over the southeast and spent 10 yrs in Fla myself. I just got OUT of Spokane And WILL NOT look back. One thing Ive learned that is just as important as jobs and the area is People. I find out first how accepting are you in the area.You will be shocked if your anything of a Christian base too the non Christian ruthless people in Spokane ! Yes there are good people but the ratio is definitly out weighed. Now for the cops ! Look up Spokane county police brutality charges against the county it goes back to 1910 and they are ruthless there too ! Good lick if your a minority.And people there for the most part are out for themselves and keep too themselves,making friends was brutal for my kids. And the work is in the toilet. I still have family in Spokane waiting too get out. If you desire the PNW Area look into Vancouver WA. Better schools, outstanding hospitals and more work. Now I know alot will blast my self for this post but the people , the CRIME and horrid schools sent us out. Look well before you leave like I did from back East too here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I find it difficult to believe that someone would leave north central Florida, with access to Disney World, the beaches, and all of that bountiful sunshine, for a frigid, economically backward area like Spokane. I strongly advise you to rent before buying, and experience one of Spokane`s interminable winters, before moving there permanently. I lived in Spokane for nearly forty years. I know of what I speak.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM

13,623 posts, read 25,995,130 times
As a non-practicing Christian minority who had kids who quickly made friends, and who also never had run-ins with the cops or crime, I consider ourselves to have been pretty lucky during our short time there I guess.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM

59 posts, read 147,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIbornNBred View Post
I have too agree, I have been all over the southeast and spent 10 yrs in Fla myself. I just got OUT of Spokane And WILL NOT look back. One thing Ive learned that is just as important as jobs and the area is People. I find out first how accepting are you in the area.You will be shocked if your anything of a Christian base too the non Christian ruthless people in Spokane ! Yes there are good people but the ratio is definitly out weighed. Now for the cops ! Look up Spokane county police brutality charges against the county it goes back to 1910 and they are ruthless there too ! Good lick if your a minority.And people there for the most part are out for themselves and keep too themselves,making friends was brutal for my kids. And the work is in the toilet. I still have family in Spokane waiting too get out. If you desire the PNW Area look into Vancouver WA. Better schools, outstanding hospitals and more work. Now I know alot will blast my self for this post but the people , the CRIME and horrid schools sent us out. Look well before you leave like I did from back East too here !
I'd imagine it's tough finding work anywhere when you're an adult that doesn't know the difference between to and too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area