Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 04:38 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times

Advertisements

Take these types of surveys how you will but this recent announcement is relevant to this topic:
The Spokesman-Review.com (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=229093 - broken link)

For the third year in a row, Spokane County has been named one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People.

America's Promise Alliance picks communities every year based on how well a place delivers on five "promises" that help children succeed: caring adults, a safe place to live, a healthy start to life, an effective education and opportunities to help others at home and in the community.

More than 300 communities across the nation applied for the award.

For the full article, click link above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 18,027 times
Thank you Kena for your information. It's hard to get a real sense of things sometimes on these threads. Some people have had a difficult time in an area and the comments become a direct reflection of their current state of mind rather than objective thinking. Thanks again for your comments.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,794 times
First of all, I don't understand the 'stay in Montana' quote, but I'm not from there. Maybe Spokane's too much of a "big city"? At any rate, I'm a transplant (from Ohio), and I love this area. I was planning to stay only 2 years before moving to Seattle, but couldn't bear to leave. Hubby & I have 2 small children and have found our subdivision just west of Highway 195 (still in city limits) is a little slice of heaven for families. And it's just 10 minutes from downtown. Very quiet, treed, and lots and lots of kids. That, and the friends we've made here are the major reasons we're staying put. When our children start school, Mullan Road Elementary is where they'll go, and the neighbors rave about that school.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM

Welcome dawpick. Just another opinion that Mullan Road is excellent. I know several people with children there and they are all very happy with the school.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM

86 posts, read 403,165 times
I have been reading these boards because we plan a move back to WA but not sure where to go. We have a home in North Tacoma/ Point Defiance which will be on lease option to buy in a short time. We currently live in Marquette, Michigan. It is very cold here, tons of snow and there is still sunshine ( today -9 but the sun is out!). I think Spokane would be a good area for us. We are leaving the military life and entering Federal careers. I am a counselor and my husband an educational administrator.
We have a gifted three year old who at the age of 30 months was reading first grade level. Today she reads at a second grade level and she is 38 months. We would like a progressive area for her.
Although I love the Puget Sound I am not sure it is what we left behind in 2003. More and more people there make the commutes to work very difficult.

I am going to miss living in my little heaven here. But there are not employment possibilities. Otherwise I would stay put.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:12 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
[quote=kena;2613350]
Trader Joe's was set to arrive a few months ago but backed out. Everyone I know is hopefull that they will come sooner rather than later. There is no doubt they are keeping an eye on the market in Spokane.
QUOTE] (OK big L on my forehead for not being able to figure out how to properly quote something...)

NO TRADER JOE'S? Oh, well, I guess I'd just have to stock up on a few things every time we came over to visit family. When we went to Spokane I was happy to see that most of my favorite stores were there. Sometimes that's as good as a security blanket.
Here's another shopping question: Are there many Asian markets? I like to cook Asian food and have been spoiled by the ready availability of ingredients. :~) D

Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM

There are several options for Asian foods: 7 • Food • Find fun flavors at Oriental markets (http://www.spokane7.com/food/stories/?ID=5576 - broken link)

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
I love going to Costplus/World Market and browsing their imported food aisles. Lots of unique items you don't normally find in the grocery stores, although most grocery stores have small sections of imported/ethic/specialty foods (Asian, Russian, Mexican, organic). World Market has a great assortment of foods & beverages from all over - oh, and all kinds of unusual candy & chocolate!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 PM

51 posts, read 147,870 times
Smile Neighborhood question for Dawpick

Quote: Hubby & I have 2 small children and have found our subdivision just west of Highway 195 (still in city limits) is a little slice of heaven for families. And it's just 10 minutes from downtown. Very quiet, treed, and lots and lots of kids. That, and the friends we've made here are the major reasons we're staying put. When our children start school, Mullan Road Elementary is where they'll go, and the neighbors rave about that school.

I have looked at this area and went there last summer. I was curious about whether it was a child friendly place as I have a little one who will be in first grade and we want that neighborly feeling. Coming from Alaska, it takes years for anyone to speak to you as we sit inside six months of the year because of the snow! Let me know if you see any houses for sale in your area under 275K.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
Quote: Hubby & I have 2 small children and have found our subdivision just west of Highway 195 (still in city limits) is a little slice of heaven for families. And it's just 10 minutes from downtown. Very quiet, treed, and lots and lots of kids. That, and the friends we've made here are the major reasons we're staying put. When our children start school, Mullan Road Elementary is where they'll go, and the neighbors rave about that school.

Okay, I've looked at the map to try and figure out where you're talking about. Is that Geiger Heights? I guess that would be before 195 forks with the Cheney-Spokane Road? Or are you talking about in between the two roads? District 81, right?
I guess you can figure I'm not so familiar with this area, but I'm very interested as it would be close to the airport. Actually looked into Airway Heights which someone I met raved about for its friendly atmosphere, but there's not the sort of housing that we would neeed. Actually, just the name (although very descriptive as to the area) isn't really appealling. You'd think the developers could have done a little better putting some more thought into it. :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area