U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,288,633 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add about the political leanings of Spokane. It is most decidely right leaning. If you look at the stats from the November 2008 election. You find that we were split almost evenly down the middle with a slight edge towards McCain (*******) and the rest of the votes overwhelmingly are for republicans. We voted for Dino Rossi over the democrat, and also voted to keep the incumbent Republican Cathy-McMorris Rogers in as well.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM

3,809 posts, read 4,731,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I was there in 1973. Then it was stuck in 1963.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

..and it'd have to go a long way downhill to look like NYC...
I was there in 73. Moved to CDA in 78 from the SF Bay Area.

By 78 Spokane was a totally different town. It was a pretty cool town then, but the recession of the 80's hit it hard.

Still I would take Spokane over most other cities its size.

If your into the outdoors....well then your search is over.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,157,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Perhaps I read too much into your post, I apologize. I thought I would counter your illustrative example, which was poor BTW with my own.

I use rednecks and bumpkins because, as you know, a lot of people come on here and bad mouth Spokanites as a bunch of redneck racist white neo-cons. Coming from the party of inclusion I find that attitude remarkable.

I was born in Spokane in 1971. You may very well have been cutting firewood out in Otis Orchards before I was born.

That just makes you really old....
No apology necessary, but thanks all the same.

I am indeed aware of the putting-down of Spokane by supposedly tolerant people of leftish persuasions. They just demonstrate their ignorance of the area and its people when they do that. Makes me really sad at what they are missing and how they are cluttering up their minds with hatred for a place and people of whom they know so little.

(I hasten to add that I do plenty of Spokane-bashing myself, which I feel qualified to do, since I lived there from 1969 until last year, and will return later in 2012. But my bashing is over-the-top and very much tongue-in-cheek. Most people get it. Some don't.)

1971 was a good year for me. I graduated from college and James Taylor ("Sweet baby James"), Carole King ("Tapestry") and Neil Young ("Harvest")released three of the greatest albums of all time...

You're right, though. I"m older than dirt. Still, though -- I ride a motorcycle, swim a half-hour nonstop every other day, and kiss my wife goodight. Every night.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No apology necessary, but thanks all the same.

I am indeed aware of the putting-down of Spokane by supposedly tolerant people of leftish persuasions. They just demonstrate their ignorance of the area and its people when they do that. Makes me really sad at what they are missing and how they are cluttering up their minds with hatred for a place and people of whom they know so little.

(I hasten to add that I do plenty of Spokane-bashing myself, which I feel qualified to do, since I lived there from 1969 until last year, and will return later in 2012. But my bashing is over-the-top and very much tongue-in-cheek. Most people get it. Some don't.)

1971 was a good year for me. I graduated from college and James Taylor ("Sweet baby James"), Carole King ("Tapestry") and Neil Young ("Harvest")released three of the greatest albums of all time...

You're right, though. I"m older than dirt. Still, though -- I ride a motorcycle, swim a half-hour nonstop every other day, and kiss my wife goodight. Every night.
By this alone, you have a good life. I hope I can maintain that same level as I get older. Good for you.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM

649 posts, read 1,587,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I forgot to add about the political leanings of Spokane. It is most decidely right leaning. If you look at the stats from the November 2008 election. You find that we were split almost evenly down the middle with a slight edge towards McCain (*******) and the rest of the votes overwhelmingly are for republicans. We voted for Dino Rossi over the democrat, and also voted to keep the incumbent Republican Cathy-McMorris Rogers in as well.
your stats are outdated and aren't reflecting the current leanings in spokane; spokane went for obama and voted a majority democratic and has a left leaning mayor. so things do change..............

Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 PM

10,422 posts, read 9,435,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleytrain View Post
I was considering moving to Spokane for a job offer I have but after visiting the place it looks like it's stuck in 1973. It looks pretty dumpy with alot of white trash and almost no diversity. How the heck do people live in this place, it's like I went back in time to a small all white town...it has a small town feel without the charm. I have never seen a place with so many white people and I am white but I'm used to seeing every kind of race. Now this place that time forgot must have some good aspects to it...I didn't see any but you who are from the planet Spokane point out the good and the bad?
I would like to make a suggestion....get back in I-90 and keep on trucking (east or west) whichever way your little old heart desires!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
your stats are outdated and aren't reflecting the current leanings in spokane; spokane went for obama and voted a majority democratic and has a left leaning mayor. so things do change..............
Spokane County Election Results, 2010 General Election:

US Senator:
D - 44%
R - 56%

Congressional District 5
D - 39%
R - 61%

State Rep, Pos 1 & 2
D - 60%
R - 40%

D - 61%
R - 39%

Legislative Dist 4, Pos 1 & 2
Looks like both the R's ran unopposed as they both got 100% of the votes.

Legislative Dist 6, Pos 1 & 2
D - 46%
R - 54%

D - 48%
R - 52%

Legislative Dist 7, State Senator
D - 27%
R - 73%

Legislative Dist 7, Pos 1 & 2
Looks like both the R's ran unopposed as they both got 100% of the votes

Legislative Dist 9, Pos 1 & 2
R - Unopposed

D - 26%
R - 74%

Commissioner
D - 49%
R - 51%

Auditor
D - 56%
R - 44%

Assessor
D - 43%
R - 57%

Clerk
R - Unopposed

Attorney
D - 46%
R - 54%

Sheriff
R - Unopposed

Treasurer
D - 49%
R - 51%

Total Wins (Not counting unnopossed victories):
D - 4, 31%
R - 9, 69%

Total Wins (Counting unnopossed victories):
D - 4, 19%
R - 17, 81%

Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM

649 posts, read 1,587,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I would like to make a suggestion....get back in I-90 and keep on trucking (east or west) whichever way your little old heart desires!
RIGHT THE F ON

Old 07-30-2011, 06:42 PM

16 posts, read 135,396 times
here you go OP...

Spokane is #93 on the list of "Top 100 least racially diverse cities (pop. 50,000+)"

why don't you check the "Top 100 most racially diverse cities"

//www.city-data.com/top35.html

moderator interpose: this thread is temporarily closed as a "mass delete" was necessary and we want to give some time to regroup. Please keep in mind that any type of name calling is not allowed. Also, our Administrator considers calling another member a troll or their post as trolling, a personal attack. Please use the "report this post feature" instead of calling another member out on the board.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-07-2011 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area