Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 21,005 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Wisconsin and thinking about relocating to the Spokane area. My family loves hunting and fishing, but we hate the snakes and bugs. Can you tell me are there alot of snakes in this area, and which ones? I can handle mosquitoes, but black widows and all those nasty spiders are a no go with me. Honest feedback is greatly respected, thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 AM

11 posts, read 40,302 times
Every state in the lower 48 has black widows and they're not that uncommon. Even worse is the fact that almost everywhere worth hunting and fishing has snakes and bugs. It's just the simple laws of the food chain

But luck is on your side. It turns out that both snakes and black widows are pretty shy and usually nocturnal. There are probably more of both in the forested areas of Wisconsin than around Spokane.

It's the ticks and mosquitoes you should be more concerned about anyway

Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM

30 posts, read 92,085 times
Default Not Many

Snakes are not very prevelant here. Rattlesnakes are really the only ones that need to cause concern, and they live in pretty specific regions and can be pretty easily avoided (or found).

There are quite a few spiders, but as far as black widows go, you are more likely to run into one in your basement or garage as you are hunting or fishing.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times
Forget black widows. Spokane is crawling with HOBO SPIDERS......

Hobo Spiders Invade Spokane, Wash. Video

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM

207 posts, read 505,141 times
...and don't forget about those big dark black bugs, I don't know their name but they sure are a fright to see crawling on your lawn chair, hiding in between the cushions waiting to greet you when you least expect it. They come out at dusk in the numbers! eeek!

and no, I refuse to watch the video Yeledaf. It will only burn itself into my mind and scar me for life. I hate bugs.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
...and don't forget about those big dark black bugs, I don't know their name but they sure are a fright to see crawling on your lawn chair, hiding in between the cushions waiting to greet you when you least expect it. They come out at dusk in the numbers! eeek!

and no, I refuse to watch the video Yeledaf. It will only burn itself into my mind and scar me for life. I hate bugs.
Okay, but for the record, spiders aren't bugs. They're arachnids.

So are shrimp, crabs and lobsters.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM

207 posts, read 505,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, but for the record, spiders aren't bugs. They're arachnids.

So are shrimp, crabs and lobsters.
Yum, are you trying to name my dinner?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 PM

174 posts, read 500,373 times
Rattlesnakes are something that is only liable to harm you if you bother them. We have rattlesnakes here in the east too.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM

30 posts, read 92,085 times
Default I beg to differ (a litttle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
Rattlesnakes are something that is only liable to harm you if you bother them. We have rattlesnakes here in the east too.

There may be some truth to this, as a generalization, but there have been many people bitten that did not intend to have any sort of encounter with a rattler. My sister is one of them, she never even saw the snake that bit her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area