Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Ok, please chime in if you know about the Hillyard area.

I am looking to buy a little fixer and most of the REALLY good deals are in the Hillyard area. Is the knock on it appropriate or people just blowing hot air??? Is there a LOT of violent crime or is it mainly property crime??? What the H*LL is so bad about this place.

I would also like to say that I CHERISH and CRAVE DIVERSITY, I cherish the diversity of all peoples. That being said, could anyone tell me if this is a diverse area....that is what I have been told. I will not live in a diverse area, that is a deal breaker for me......even though I am one of the biggest fans of diversity.

Thank you all.............Mwah, Mwah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
No, Hillyard just fits all of the stereotypes you hear about Spokane.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
A true and accurate description. Ambience-wise, Hillyard is the poor relation everyone hopes won't show up for Thanksgiving.

Having said that, I have never had a bad experience in Hillyard. It's a great place to have a cold beer or two and then go outside and watch someone set a car on fire.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,166 times
Is HILLYARDADELPIA really that bad?????

Since Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities, i assume you must be complimenting Hillyard?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post

Since Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities, i assume you must be complimenting Hillyard?
No, OP might be assuming Hillyard has a population of "hip-hop homies". (a la Philadelphia).

I have, in Hillyard:
-washed and cleaned out my car
-shopped at a convenience store (I wanna say it was across the street from a grain elevator (?))
-shopped at an auto parts store (very nice folks there, it may have been Schuck's ).
-also, our kid's friend's mom lived there, she had a flag store (quite the grand display) on her property, and yes, she carried Nazi and Confederate flags (which were also part of the prominent display).

It's just like any other poor n'hood.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Hillyard used to have a really nice mon and pop bakery. I remember that it was the only place I could get real old fashioned crumb-buns, like the ones in rural southern New Jersey, where I grew up.

There's still a neighborhood pool on Market Street in Hillyard, I believe. I hope the budget crunch hasn't forced its closure.

Oh, and I remember a guy who sold used (found?) hubcaps from his backyard in Hillyard. For a city like Spokane with its very rough streets and the need to change over from snow tires and back each year, and the resulting loss of wheelcovers and hubcaps, he was a rather prosperous small businessman.

Funny thing about places like Hillyard. Collectively, it looks like an eyesore. Individually, the people one meets there are often worth knowing -- or at least, more interesting than the gentry in more prosperous areas, hurrying from one "important" affair to another. Funny how that works.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

As in????? What.............Tweaked out tweakers walking the streets looking for stuff to steal??? Or maybe this:

Google Images

I was going to post the pic, but I am sure it would draw me a suspension.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post

Uh.............No, you assume wrong.

Killadelphia is one place you could not get me to visit, its rep is.........well, not so good.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
No, OP might be assuming Hillyard has a population of "hip-hop homies". (a la Philadelphia).

I have, in Hillyard:
-washed and cleaned out my car
-shopped at a convenience store (I wanna say it was across the street from a grain elevator (?))
-shopped at an auto parts store (very nice folks there, it may have been Schuck's ).
-also, our kid's friend's mom lived there, she had a flag store (quite the grand display) on her property, and yes, she carried Nazi and Confederate flags (which were also part of the prominent display).

It's just like any other poor n'hood.
Well, if it is REALLY that cr*ppy I will strike it off my list.

Are the surrounding areas effected by the plauge of Hillyardistan????

Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
As in????? What.............Tweaked out tweakers walking the streets looking for stuff to steal??? Or maybe this:

Google Images

I was going to post the pic, but I am sure it would draw me a suspension.
Yeah, what you said, and the pic. But the house he lives in isn't a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, if it is REALLY that cr*ppy I will strike it off my list.

Are the surrounding areas effected by the plauge of Hillyardistan????
I didn't think my description gave the impression that it was crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: