Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM

986 posts, read 2,498,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Keep in mind that it's always at least 10-15 degrees F colder in Spokane than Seattle. That means that while you can go outside and mull the cloud cover in the Emerald City, you'll do most of your cloud-watching through your windows in Spokaloosa. And that is nearly always a recipe for depression.

In Seattle, the question is "Hmm. Do I need to take Gore-Tex for a stroll down to the waterfront?" In Spokane, it's "Damn. Is it too cold to go outside again?"

I hasten to add that the Spokane question soon morphs into "Is life itself worth living in this frozen gloominess?"

Then it's time to move.
Clouds and persistent cold, or just mainly clouds (at the same latitude) leans toward Seattle, but cost of living leans toward Spokane. But dearth of wages could cancel out the lower cost of living. Tough choices.

I'm also curious if Spokane has a way of trapping people in some sort of income or mental rut where they lack the will to move elsewhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,256,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Clouds and persistent cold, or just mainly clouds (at the same latitude) leans toward Seattle, but cost of living leans toward Spokane. But dearth of wages could cancel out the lower cost of living. Tough choices.
From the tenor of your posts, you would be much happier in Seattle. Keep in mind that higher cost of living also means higher wages once you fnid a job you like or can live with....

Quote:
I'm also curious if Spokane has a way of trapping people in some sort of income or mental rut where they lack the will to move elsewhere.
It's not unlike anyplace else in that way. Read through the threads on C-D and you'll fnid a lot of people unhappy with their locale, but not having the will or means to depart.

I mean, I'm in a really dreary suburb of Osaka right now. But damn the money's good.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM

649 posts, read 1,762,441 times
Quote:
So, in your opinion, it seems like Spokane is better overall, minus the cold aspect.

Can you comment on whether you see the types of clouds in those photo links (see original post) more often in Spokane vs. Seattle, Portland, etc? I don't mind that scattered cloudy look vs. a grey seamless mat.

I also surprised to hear that Portland is notably worse, cloud-wise than Seattle. I see a lot of conflicting info on that.

ya i know people and stats i guess say that seattle is worse then portland....but my experience of living twice in portland it just seemed lots more CONSTANT cloud cover then seattle....seattle you get sun bursts or some break up but portland damn near seems 365 days out of the year!!! seattle gets more wind then portland to blow the cluds open i think..... but spokane for the past months has been pretty bad.....has broken up in the past week though and are having some very pretty days...but june was near constant cloud cover.....a little sun breaks so not as bad as portland and seattle.....so we have had lots of grey seamless mat as you described for the better part of the past several months; but as i said we are now having great weather.
and overall i DO like spokane much better then portland and seattle for lots of reasons......cheaper to live here.....friendlier people by far!!! big difference in that area..........better weather...even though we get more snow and ice and colder but in the winters you get sun and for me that makes alll the difference in the world............another reason i like spokane best is a much slower pace of life....traffic is ok....no long lines in stores and big noisey resturants like on the coast.......you can live in a much nicer place here for the money because rent and home prices are much much lower here. and there's lots of outdoor stuff that you have right in town and you don't have to drive hours to get to.....it really is a very beautifu city in my opinion......but as i've said recently there seems to be a crime wave going on.......we've had several home invasions and durg related problems......and we have very bad/corrupt police......so that's my 2 cents.....i still won't move but if i decide to purchase it won't be in the city......and if the crime gets worse or if i still feel like i need to fortress my home, then i'll move to deer park or nine mile falls and get further out of the city.....

Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM

108 posts, read 360,972 times
I've lived here three years and the last 3 springs were pretty gloomy. Everyone that has lived here their whole lives keep saying that they are not usually like this and that they've been anomalies.

I think I saw redhead mention last spring was great, but we broke records for taking the longest ever to get to 60, 70, 80 degrees. Spring last year and this year was almost devoid of sunshine. We had a week and a half spurt of sun early in spring this year but that was it.

Summers are awesome though.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM

649 posts, read 1,762,441 times
tso got to know i was comparing last spring to springs that i've spent in billings and coeur d' alene and portland and seattle and tacoma...........so with that said last spring was the best one i'd had since the spings spent in these other cities.....lots more sun and nicer weather then the cold/gloom/rain......other wise i wouldn't still be in spokane.....can't stand CONSTANT gloom, and these past few months here in spokane had me rethinking my future.......but sun's out now and all's well

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,256,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
.....can't stand CONSTANT gloom, and these past few months here in spokane had me rethinking my future.......but sun's out now and all's well
Watch it, red. You're starting to sound like me....

Old 07-08-2012, 04:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,540,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
From the tenor of your posts, you would be much happier in Seattle. Keep in mind that higher cost of living also means higher wages once you fnid a job you like or can live with....

It's not unlike anyplace else in that way. Read through the threads on C-D and you'll fnid a lot of people unhappy with their locale, but not having the will or means to depart.

I mean, I'm in a really dreary suburb of Osaka right now. But damn the money's good.
Truer words have never been written. I've often wanted to send some people checks so that they would just get the heck out of a place and stop whining.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM

986 posts, read 2,498,199 times
Default Not an anomaly anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO2.0 View Post
I've lived here three years and the last 3 springs were pretty gloomy. Everyone that has lived here their whole lives keep saying that they are not usually like this and that they've been anomalies.

I think I saw redhead mention last spring was great, but we broke records for taking the longest ever to get to 60, 70, 80 degrees. Spring last year and this year was almost devoid of sunshine. We had a week and a half spurt of sun early in spring this year but that was it.

Summers are awesome though.
As one who takes AGW seriously, I wouldn't rule out a trend of the PNW getting more cloudy due to more ocean evaporation. It could be a long term thing. Some parts of the world will get hotter and drier while others will get gloomier or snowier.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

968 posts, read 2,057,494 times
Quote:
I'm also curious if Spokane has a way of trapping people in some sort of mental rut where they lack the will to move elsewhere.
Yes, it's called Vitamin D deficiency

Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 PM

182 posts, read 322,481 times
I lived in Spokane for 10 years and with a resounding yes, it goes get very depressing during winter. I don't think your decision is as simple as which clouds you prefer, Spokane's vs Seattle's. The cold in Spokane did depress me in and of itself. I tend to think it has an effect the immune system and nervous system, which are both directly related to your feeling of contentment or being "happy". When you mix the grey with that, it can be tough to overcome.

On the other Seattle still affords you the ability to go out and enjoy some things during the winter. It's got a hell of a lot more going on, and it's infinitely more diverse than Spokane. When I lived in Spokane the demographics were over 95% white. All of these things effect one's overall view of an area, sometimes more than the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area