Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,326 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently in the interviewing process for a position in Spokane and we'll know in the next week or so if we will be relocating there, it's looking highly possible, but we'll see. His office will be located in Cheney, but he will be a facilities manager over properties from Colville down to Ritzville, so it's quite the stretch. Not sure yet how often he'll need to travel to each of the properties in the various areas. We're thinking we want something a little out of the city so from maps it looks like Cheney may be a good place, but I can't really find too much info on it. Does it have any standard shopping close by, ie grocery stores, wal-mart, etc. I'm from a small town and don't need anything too fancy, the 20-30 minute drive to the mall isn't a big deal to me. Good parks? good schools? We are not opposed to looking in other areas as well since we do have some family in the South Hill area and the Valley. I want a neighborhood where I won't be paranoid to let my kids go ride their bikes or play with friends in the yard. Or I can go for a run in the early mornings, etc. Schools are also very important to me. However I am considering home school, are there many home schoolers in the area, or home school groups? We'll probably rent for 6 months or so until we can get better aquainted with the area. Anyway, just trying to get a feel for what to expect. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM

101 posts, read 222,227 times
Cheney is a college town, but a lot of the student population commutes from Spokane, so it's not a crazy college town. There are newer neighborhoods and the area is definitely getting larger. Airway Heights is also experiencing a lot of growth. Certainly enough amenities for your limited needs. Cheney is a lot better looking than airway heights or most other areas on the west plains. School districts leave something to be desired. I wouldn't say they are bad, but really cannot compete with any of the Spokane school districts. If you are home schooling, that may not even be an issue. There are also some nicer apartments for rent, but just be careful and look into them thoroughly. There are some complexes that have a ton of students that can get rowdy and ruin the vibe of an otherwise great complex. EWU students that live close sometimes have the mentality of WSU on a budget if you know what I mean. When you decide to purchase something as opposed to rent, I'd highly recommend giving the Spokane and Spokane Valley a hard look. Might be a bit more of a commute, but neighborhoods and home values are well established, and are not nearly as fragile as the west plains. Plus, you don't really save much money living out there. Anyways, hope that helps! Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area