Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM

101 posts, read 221,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
buyandsell509 discussing real estate based on per square foot price is like boarding the rocket ship to the mundane. I guess this is why some people want to live in a pole barn with an apartment carved into one corner.
I certainly understand where you're coming from, Javatom, the market isn't as vanilla as perfect home for $100/sf in the Spokane area. I just wanted to illustrate how a similar home in the Mead/Colbert area is less expensive than parts of the Valley or Liberty Lake, or even the South Hill. And although every home is different and has its own value based on unique attributes, there are certain thresholds of price per sf in certain areas.

For example, a 1500 sf home that is completely updated with very nice upgrades by Northtown mall would be very lucky to fetch $100/sf, and probably be more like $85/sf. Conversely, the same home 5 miles north in Gleneden or even west to Indian trail could easily hit $110 or $115/sf, and many homes in Liberty Lake area that are newer are selling for $120/sf.

I'm pretty sure a pole building with an apartment carved into a corner (occupancy and financing issues aside) would probably not fetch the same askign price just because a real home next door sold for $100/sf. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM

294 posts, read 540,458 times
Let me have a go at this. Maybe the wording could be.

a small home that is completely updated with very nice upgrades by Northtown mall would cost around 150,000. The same house in Gleneden or even west to Indian trail would be 10 to 20% higher.

Most people do not know how many "square feet" their home is. They may know to within about 10%. The only time someone focuses on one house being 20sf bigger than another one is when they buy it. I usually see this type of thinking in tract home subdivisions. Most people only care how much their monthly payment will be and does the house satisfy their needs.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM

101 posts, read 221,460 times
Default Well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
Let me have a go at this. Maybe the wording could be.

a small home that is completely updated with very nice upgrades by Northtown mall would cost around 150,000. The same house in Gleneden or even west to Indian trail would be 10 to 20% higher.

Most people do not know how many "square feet" their home is. They may know to within about 10%. The only time someone focuses on one house being 20sf bigger than another one is when they buy it. I usually see this type of thinking in tract home subdivisions. Most people only care how much their monthly payment will be and does the house satisfy their needs.
Well put, Javatom. Plus, I've seen some horribly thought out floor plans that have made a 2500sf home feel like 1500. So, in my opinion, it's more important to focus a home search on amenities, location and beds/bath rather than sf. I think we're on the same page there. And of course, monthly payment is a huge factor. Especially since buyers can afford much more home with their monthly payment with the way rates are.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 PM

294 posts, read 540,458 times
I design houses. You are dead on about bad floor plans. There is an interest right now for smaller homes that are higher quality. Sometimes a small addition and remodel can change a structure into how we live today with modern amenities and a more open floor plan. It's tough for people to recognize this potential though. I get requests all the time from real estate buyers to do a quick and basic 3d image of what some key feature would look like if it was remodeled. It has been the deciding factor and resulted in sealing the deal. This quality over quantity approach is not for everyone. It is usually for small downtown properties that have potential. I often end up doing a full construction blueprint for the project after they have bought the house.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

11 posts, read 16,460 times
Default Frozen Tundra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Be prepared to live in a frozen tundra 6 months out of the year. Eliminate that little fact and deep-six about 100K tweaked out zombies.......then you have paradise.

This is probably spoken from someone who has never lived north of Seattle....

Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 AM

22,573 posts, read 24,379,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknan View Post
This is probably spoken from someone who has never lived north of Seattle....

I have lived all over Washington state......try again.

I actually like the weather in Spokane better than Seattle...less rain and more sun.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM

93 posts, read 329,237 times
onceabc - Spokane sounds right up your alley; Everything you're looking for. I'll hazard that your family's chances of having any run-ins with "tweakers" or "rattlesnakes" will be low to never; I doubt your lifestyle or milieu will lend to that sort of thing, at least on a recreational stance. If you attain your RN credentials to work in the US, you'll have a decent opportunity to find work. IT is a little more scarce, but depending on how resourceful your spouse or varied his skillset is, it's still a possibility. Welcome in advance to Spokane.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM

804 posts, read 2,881,663 times
Quote:
Be prepared to live in a frozen tundra 6 months out of the year. Eliminate that little fact and deep-six about 100K tweaked out zombies.......then you have paradise.
Disregard this totally uneducated, incorrect reponse..

We have lived on the Oregon/Washington Coast for the past 6 years so we are well aware of what you mean by rain all the time. I am orginally from CDA and finally got to purchase our house in CDA so we can live there full time now.

You will have snow November through March. But for the first couple months on both ends of the spectrum it can be snowy one day then sunny and dry two days later. The city, state, and county do a pretty job keeping the main arteries open throughout the CDA area so there should only be a handfull of days where you will actually have any sort of problem getting around town.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 16,460 times
Quote:
I have lived all over Washington state......try again.

I actually like the weather in Spokane better than Seattle...less rain and more sun.

But still, if you had ever actually lived in a frozen tundra, you'd be running around in a t-shirt and praising the warm weather in Spokane.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM

20 posts, read 32,003 times
I just moved from LA to Spokane last August .
It's not snowing everydays in Winter and even if it is snowing it is not a big deal , the street are cleaned up fast . It is not really freezing that much , when I heard people talking about winter here I feel they live in Alaska ! You get used to it believe me .

About the cost of living , I was not very wealthy in LA and I am still not here but the standard of living and the quality of life are huge here .
For a single guy/girl who wants adventure and experience I might not recommend Spokane but for a family I think it 's a very nice place.

PS: English is not my native language , sorry for the mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area