Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 68,716 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been covered and it might seem redundant but I have a question about the climate. I might be moving to Spokane in the near future and I'm curious as to the harshness of winters there. Does Spokane experience the polar vortex/arctic air blasts that the Midwest does, or do the mountains shield from most of it? I'm fine with some snow and winter but I can't stand the ultra-frigid temperatures that we get here in IL. Just looking for a locals perspective. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:46 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,397 times
Good grief.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Good grief.
Good grief what?

Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedguy86 View Post
Good grief what?
A random Charlie Brown meme. Don't let it bother you.

The past two winters in Spokane have been quite mild. We do get spells of intensely cold weather, though local meteorologists tend to avoid terms like "vortex". Too scary. Here it's "Frigid Canadian air" or an "icy cold front on the way from the Arctic." In Spokane the unpleasantness is more a factor of the length of our winters than their intensity. Six months of relatively chilly weather (Halloween through Easter) is not particularly unusual.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A random Charlie Brown meme. Don't let it bother you.

The past two winters in Spokane have been quite mild. We do get spells of intensely cold weather, though local meteorologists tend to avoid terms like "vortex". Too scary. Here it's "Frigid Canadian air" or an "icy cold front on the way from the Arctic." In Spokane the unpleasantness is more a factor of the length of our winters than their intensity. Six months of relatively chilly weather (Halloween through Easter) is not particularly unusual.
Thanks for the reply. I grew up in the snow belt of NE Ohio, lived in CA for 10 years, and now work took me to IL. My agency has an office in Spokane and my wife and I don't like it here so we're looking. I was just trying to get a comparison of the winters there compared to OH and IL, where winter typically runs from Nov to early March. It doesn't seem as brutal there as it does here, plus there is beautiful scenery to look at unlike the flat fields here.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedguy86 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I grew up in the snow belt of NE Ohio, lived in CA for 10 years, and now work took me to IL. My agency has an office in Spokane and my wife and I don't like it here so we're looking. I was just trying to get a comparison of the winters there compared to OH and IL, where winter typically runs from Nov to early March. It doesn't seem as brutal there as it does here, plus there is beautiful scenery to look at unlike the flat fields here.
Oh, we have flat fields here, too, to the west of us. The Columbia Plateau stretches from the western edge of Spokane all the way to the Cascades (about 175 miles), though the Columbia gorge halfway across does provide some visual relief. To the south, roiling farmland for miles and miles. And miles. It's to the north and east that you'll find the. Most densely forested and scenic areas, stretching all the way to western Montana and up into British Columbia.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Oh, we have flat fields here, too, to the west of us. The Columbia Plateau stretches from the western edge of Spokane all the way to the Cascades (about 175 miles), though the Columbia gorge halfway across does provide some visual relief. To the south, roiling farmland for miles and miles. And miles. It's to the north and east that you'll find the. Most densely forested and scenic areas, stretching all the way to western Montana and up into British Columbia.
That's fine with me, as i know that agriculture is big in that area, but it's just nice to have mountains and forests nearby. Where I am now has nothing. You have to drive for a few hours to get to anything remotely nice. The photos I've seen of Spokane look beautiful. It's either there or northern CA for us.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 PM

812 posts, read 794,975 times
I'm glad you asked this question, Fedguy86! I was going to post a similar question. I grew up in SE MI and I wonder how the winters in Spokane are compared to there. I'm wondering if Spokane gets as bitterly cold, as well as so many gray, dreary, dead looking days as MI does. A friend of mine who has lived in Spokane and Chicago said she thought Spokane was colder. I find that hard to believe, but who knows?

It would be great to hear from others who have lived back in the upper mid-west and now live in Spokane. How would you say it compares?

I am in AZ now where our winters are nice, but the summers seem to last forever...

Old 06-15-2015, 02:38 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I'm glad you asked this question, Fedguy86! I was going to post a similar question. I grew up in SE MI and I wonder how the winters in Spokane are compared to there. I'm wondering if Spokane gets as bitterly cold, as well as so many gray, dreary, dead looking days as MI does. A friend of mine who has lived in Spokane and Chicago said she thought Spokane was colder. I find that hard to believe, but who knows?

It would be great to hear from others who have lived back in the upper mid-west and now live in Spokane. How would you say it compares?

I am in AZ now where our winters are nice, but the summers seem to last forever...
https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

According to this source, Spokane and Chicago are similar in Average Highs, Spokane has much less extreme Average Lows (At NIGHT, Spokane is warmer in the winter/cooler in the summer compared to Chicago), and Spokane is sunnier and less humid in the summer, but cloudier and more humid in the winter.

However, I have no real-world experience with Mid-west weather.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:48 PM

812 posts, read 794,975 times
Thanks for the reply, PS90, even without the real-world experience. That is an interesting source for weather comparisons. The lower humidity in the summer is a definite plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area