U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,428,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
As is my custom, I tip my hat and ask your forgiveness when I post on a forum or thread that isn't in my area (SW Ohio)

First off, I salute 'Shorty' and ALL veterans, not giving a damn about race, creed, religion, gender, whatever...my dad was a Tuskeegee Airman and, had he lived, would have been about Shorty's age...hell, I got chills when I first read about this, thinking 'that could have BEEN my dad!'

Secondly, as a black man, I truly wish people could drop the bulls**t notion that black folk think with some collective planetary brain, and we sit somewhere silently cheering any black on white (or black on black) incident and the perps involved...also, the President, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, et al do NOT speak for me, or a vast majority of blacks in this country...if I think someone black did or said something stupid, then I will open my mouth and SAY SO---yeah, I voted for him, but if he's wrong then bleep it, his a** is wrong, and so are these two lowlife wastes of flesh, organs, and oxygen

Hell NO...they need to take these sick little punks and put 'em away for life, or give them the hot seat, depending on Washington state law...

This is 2013, and I am not naive enough (at 57) to believe that there aren't stll racial issues in this country...but I'm not wasting my time giving in to stereotypes about whites, blacks, or anyone else for that matter---there's still too much needing to be done, and lip-flapping on an internet forum ain't gonna solve the problem
Very well-written post. Thanks.

But as far as your third paragraph, I think you answered your own question - with the media coverage of the Zimmerman trial, along with Obama's comment about him looking like his son, how do you expect the rest of us to NOT think of the black community as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,428,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
And that is why it continues to be a problem. Conservatives keep attributing the problem as a drug/gang related one, when in truth it's a combination of economics and lack of parenting caused by a culture of absent fathers. Drug and gang culture are a symptom of the problem, not the cause.
So in a way, I might agree - conservatives are off-the-mark by blaming the symptom, rather than the cause - but then that means liberals are most often missing the target altogether by blaming the tool used to commit the crime.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM

19,717 posts, read 21,345,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
-Would Zimmerman have gone after a white/Asian/Latino kid?
-One of the OK perps was white, would the crime have been any less horrific if they had killed a black guy?
-Why would racism have been a factor in Spokane? Any of us who has lived there know how much of a novelty it is to even see somebody that is not white around there.
1. Huge "IF, David. They weren't. They didn't.
2. Hmm. I would think that if anything, the lack of diversity in Spokane tends to breed more ignorance and unfounded racial hatred. Wouldn't you agree?

The fact remains that concluding that racism is not involved in interracial crime is disingenuous, at best -- and just plain counterintuitive, given the ages and backgrounds of the perpetrators.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM

13,414 posts, read 25,091,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
2. Hmm. I would think that if anything, the lack of diversity in Spokane tends to breed more ignorance and unfounded racial hatred. Wouldn't you agree?
Not in my perception.

As you know, soy Latino, though to some I may not come off as a "visible minority", if you will (the Scottish and Swedish in me may have something to do with that ). I didn't feel there were any problems with unfounded racial hatred in Spokane, contrary to even what the supposed local white supremacists might lead us to believe. I personally didn't *feel* Spokane had a problem with that, where other places I've lived definitely do. There are oodles of examples of more diverse cities in this nation where racism and its byproducts are a bigger problem than anything Spokane will ever experience in our lifetimes.

Ignorance would be an appropriate word IMO. Ignorance isn't necessarily a bad thing, you can't necessarily have found hate for something you don't know anything about. Isn't hate usually rooted in unpleasant past experiences?

It could be reasonable to infer that these two kids might have stopped short of killing this man if he was black. But they also might not have. Kids that age, of this generation (and probably all prior) have to prove to each other how "bad ass" they are. Sadly, that could have been all this was.

I have a hard time coming to the conclusion that these kids simply attacked the victim because he was white. At least 90% of all people these kids dealt with on a daily basis likely were too.

The latest claim from one of the perps: Teen suspect in WWII vet's beating death in Spokane claims attack was crack deal gone bad | al.com

Police are saying race didn't play a role.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Not in my perception.

As you know, soy Latino, though to some I may not come off as a "visible minority", if you will (the Scottish and Swedish in me may have something to do with that ). I didn't feel there were any problems with unfounded racial hatred in Spokane, contrary to even what the supposed local white supremacists might lead us to believe. I personally didn't *feel* Spokane had a problem with that, where other places I've lived definitely do. There are oodles of examples of more diverse cities in this nation where racism and its byproducts are a bigger problem than anything Spokane will ever experience in our lifetimes.

Ignorance would be an appropriate word IMO. Ignorance isn't necessarily a bad thing, you can't necessarily have found hate for something you don't know anything about. Isn't hate usually rooted in unpleasant past experiences?

It could be reasonable to infer that these two kids might have stopped short of killing this man if he was black. But they also might not have. Kids that age, of this generation (and probably all prior) have to prove to each other how "bad ass" they are. Sadly, that could have been all this was.

I have a hard time coming to the conclusion that these kids simply attacked the victim because he was white. At least 90% of all people these kids dealt with on a daily basis likely were too.

The latest claim from one of the perps: Teen suspect in WWII vet's beating death in Spokane claims attack was crack deal gone bad | al.com

Police are saying race didn't play a role.
I hear you and understand where you're coming from. Having grown up on the east coast near a troubled urban area (Philly), I agree that Spokane's racial climate is relatively benevolent compared to many comparable cities. I also agree that ignorance does not necessarily breed hatred. But sometimes it does. How else to explain the prejudiced attitudes displayed by some people from areas like Spokane -- where interaction with folks from diverse ethnic or racial backgrounds is so rare?

I'm not asking that anyone conclude that this attack was solely based on race. What I take exception to is statements like "police are saying race didn't play a role" -- I mean, how do they know? Are they privy to these young men's hearts and motivations? Or did they just ask them and receive a negative reply from criminals whose attorneys advised them to do so, and then pass that on as ironclad fact?

It is an inconvenient and sadly ugly truth that racial/ethnic hatred exists on all levels of our society. Exonerating these perpetrators from holding hateful racist attitudes not only strains credibility -- it is the type of facile disingenuousness which keeps our country from having a meaningful conversation about the true nature of racial and ethnic diversity, addressing the causes of prejudice and hatred, and hopefully dealing with them.

Our future depends on our doing so.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
What I take exception to is statements like "police are saying race didn't play a role" -- I mean, how do they know?
It's an opinion, and we all know what those are worth.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM

2,797 posts, read 5,324,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerluli View Post
We have property well north of Spokane and are hoping to build a house there in a few years to retire. We would of course spend time in Spokane as it's the largest nearby city. This incident and another which made national news recently make Spokane sound like some sort of a backwoods hellhole. Is it that bad?
It is the pathetic national press that can do this to a city or state or place. There is usually no national news out of Spokane so the stupid national press will accomplish what they want with painting inaccurate portraits of places. Look at Chicago, probably the biggest hellhole in the nation. There are numerous murders there each day but yet many people still have high esteem for Chicago and the daily murders there get very little national attention. Doesn't make sense.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
It's an opinion, and we all know what those are worth.
Well, sure --- but some are worth more than others. Yours and mine, for instance....

Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Well, sure --- but some are worth more than others. Yours and mine, for instance....
Heh!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 PM

260 posts, read 318,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
Another vicious black-on-white murder.
Stop trying to play to the lowest common denominator. It's not a racial thing. It's a lack of common sense and morals thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or