Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 06:12 PM

217 posts, read 1,002,948 times

Advertisements

Hi all in Spokane Land. I was born and raised in Spokane;left when I was 20 for a job with the airlines. Worked for 20 years at SFO.(Sanfransico Airport). I wish I could cancell that part of my life. The airlines. It's been many years since Iv'e been back home. I'm sure a lot has changed. Spokane has a LOT of snow and black ice in the winter months. Drive with common sense, and you will be fine. The South Hill was always the higher classed homes. I don't know if that is the same now. My neices still live in Spokane and they tell me the winters aren't as bad as they used to be. It's always fun to roll up big snowmen and have snowball fights with your kids. Driving down the South Hill area is a challenge. It is steep and slick. Several years back my brother started down the SH and could not stop. No way no how. He honked his horn for a few blockes until he finally ended up in the side of a csrossing car. He was then stopped. Really, the SH has some beautiful homes. By northern Cal standards, they are CHEAP! I have no recall of mosquito problems at all. I have fished all the lakes around Spokane. There was no bug problem that I recall. I think it would be a great city to raise kids. I vote yes. Stay safe, skitow

Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
regarding mosquitos - hardly any unless you're hanging out by the lake towards the end of the day. I don't get any bites, my daughter has had a few - I think she's more of a mosquito magnet. There are some summer gnats and ladybugs here.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:12 AM

135 posts, read 599,956 times
Wink Thanks everyone...

for all of your input. We are disheartened now about moving to Spokane from reading all of this thread and other sources we have utilized.

We will go forward with our early April trip to Spokane, but now hesitate to say we are as excited as we were about 6 months ago.

That's good in a way, that we've gotten a 'better' (but worse) taste of the area. As it would be costly, financially and mentally, to move from S. FL all the way to Spokane, and not be happy!

Good luck to all and we'll be in YOUR neck of the woods early April!

mes3fils and family

Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 PM

Default For mes3fils

Hi mes. Don't give up on Spokane from what you read on the forum. My post about the South Hill being steep and slick are true. There are many areas in Spokane that you don't have that problem. Yes you will have snow in the winter, but from what I have read, the winters are mild from what they used to be. Remember, I have not toured Spokane for 40 years. I have not visited for 25 or so. If you like what you see, give it a chance. I don't think it has the crime and drug problems that the larger cities do. If you have to use snow tires in the winter, not a big thing. If everone disliked Spokane, it wouldn't exist. There are good and bad aspects of every city in this country. You sounded so down or hurt about Spokane, I had to throw another post for you. Stay safe, skitow.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:47 AM

135 posts, read 599,956 times
Default skitow...

Thanks for your kind post! We will see how it fits us. Our second and more likely choice will be in a city to the north (50min drive) of Denver-a bit smaller than Spokane but with many of the same features. We don't mind snow at all. But, we do want to live nearer to a 'large' city (Spokane isn't near one) and also to live where our 'downtown' area is 'pretty' not 'ugly' as so many have described Spokane's downtown.

Thanks again for you nice post!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:06 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
Default downtown Spokane

I have heard several people who are visiting Spokane for the first time comment on what a beautiful downtown it has. They really like the fact that it's not filled up with modern glass walled office buildings, but has maintained the old fashioned brick character in many buildings, even in the new construction. You should do an online search for photos of downtown Spokane and see what the buildings look like. The only thing I can complain about downtown is paying for parking and trying to find a parking place close to where you're going. If we're going to be near the Davenport, the best deal is to let their valets park your car, go inside and have a drink or appetizer in the Peacock lounge, and then get your parking ticket validated. On the street parking is really challenging to find during peak hours and it's all metered.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 46,292 times
My husband is there working right now in LL, and is kind of confused about the condition of the roads. He said it snowed there about five days ago and that there is still snow on the roads. Do the road crews ever use salt or sand? He is walking to work from his hotel and he keeps falling b/c the roads are so icy!

I can see how treacherous South Hill could be now! Where we live they are pretty good at clearing the roads...by the next day you can usually see blacktop again. So whats the scoop?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Default mes3fils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes3fils View Post
Thanks for your kind post! We will see how it fits us. Our second and more likely choice will be in a city to the north (50min drive) of Denver-a bit smaller than Spokane but with many of the same features. We don't mind snow at all. But, we do want to live nearer to a 'large' city (Spokane isn't near one) and also to live where our 'downtown' area is 'pretty' not 'ugly' as so many have described Spokane's downtown.

Thanks again for you nice post!
I wish you good luck on finding your perfect home. I also want to move in the near future. Stay safe, best regards, skitow.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes3fils View Post
Thanks for your kind post! We will see how it fits us. Our second and more likely choice will be in a city to the north (50min drive) of Denver-...!
I'd set my sights on Loveland, CO. It was my home for the first 26yrs, now WA for 25yrs, but just got taxed out (property). I will be off to WY, I guess, as a declared residence (low taxes). Will try to buy commercial props in Loveland or Ft Collins as it is a stable economy, and worthy of investment. Spokane and points south along ID border are my first choice for primary residence, but... since I won't have any income for the next 30 yrs, living in a state w/ no income tax has a major disadvantage (high fixed costs for prop taxes). WA has been good up until last 5 yrs when my prop taxes went from $2000 > $11,000 / yr . The state is shooting themselves in the foot knowing that demographics are changing. (boomers leaving workforce/going to fixed income). Oh, and you don't very much voter representation on the east side. 2-3 counties in west WA carry the elections, and thus create the legislation that you will have to live with. Very tough on farmers and business / property owners. Very favorable to 'employees / tenants', and extremely favorable to politicians...

good luck,

Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 AM

103 posts, read 503,741 times
what do you mean spokane doesn't have a problem with crime?

let's take a look at spokane and compare it to other cities on the west coast. we'll take a look at much larger cities -- some with bad reputations -- and the like-sized city of boise. i'd like to see spokane apologists explain away the numbers.

crime index ... the average US city ranks a 325.2 per 100,000 people.
spokane los angeles boise seattle san fran san diego
1999: 516 483 NA 609 466 330
2000: 535 526 276 577 458 316
2001: 581 553 291 580 NA 337
2002: 542 556 296 580 453 333
2003: 555 530 293 611 454 357
2004: 608 474 286 582 450 343
2005: 465 402 294 595 450 348

fact is, spokane has a horrible problem with crime. i'd be more than happy to come back and compare spokane to more cities its size, much like boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area