Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
AK76, I thought most Alaskans also have a place in Hawaii and flip flop depending on seasons.
Not at all, but Hawaii is probably the most popular vacation destination amongst Alaskans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:28 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Hahaha, you have no idea how much amusement I get out of reading comments from people in Spokane/PNW and damn near anyplace else in the L48 complain about the weather. A couple snow storms come through, a few days of cold temps and everyone starts squawking like Chicken Little!

If everyone spent just one winter in Alaska(many people cannot even take one winter here) they would come to have a great appreciation for how easy winters in L48 really are! Comparitively, winter weather in Spokane, hell anyplace in the L48 is far milder than even Southcentral Alaska where I live. My wife and I look forward to enjoying the weather there as soon as we can get our home sold and move south. 38 Alaska winters and counting are taking their toll on us middle-agers.
Yeah. I guess three days of cold weather in what has otherwise been a very mild winter is enough to make some people think that the apocalypse is upon us.

"Us" meaning only people from Spokane, of course.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 PM

206 posts, read 333,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Anyone who lives in WA state understands that Eastern WA has hotter summers and colder winters than Western WA, and in return, we don't have to live with the constant drizzle and oppressive cloud-cover and lack of sun. Although I agree that Spokane's weather is more closely comparable to North Dakota than Seattle….
True, but presumably many folks visiting this forum live outside the State of Washington and seek unbiased opinions of the area through forums like City Data. Many, myself included, have observed Spokane suffers oppressive cloud cover through much of the Winter, and even Fall and Spring. That's where the tradeoff of dealing with snow/ice for the promise of more sunshine falls short.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
True, but presumably many folks visiting this forum live outside the State of Washington and seek unbiased opinions of the area through forums like City Data. Many, myself included, have observed Spokane suffers oppressive cloud cover through much of the Winter, and even Fall and Spring. That's where the tradeoff of dealing with snow/ice for the promise of more sunshine falls short.
Comments like this kill me, too.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Comments like this kill me, too.
Posts like this really marginalize the plight of our fellow human beings.

I should probably look into the stats where this is concerned, but based on my own experience, people moving to Spokane from Alaska are in the minority where inflow is concerned. Many are coming from locations with milder weather patterns and they want the low-down on Spokane's snow, ice, wind, and cloud cover before investing time, money and energy into a move.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Posts like this really marginalize the plight of our fellow human beings.
The "plight" of our fellow human beings? You sure have a flare for the dramatic. Cloud cover is a plight?

There were probably 6-7 days where the sun cam out last month. Clear blue skies? No, but the sun was out and shining plus it was warmer than normal. Not exactly a "plight".

IT'S WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM

Yes, periods of cloud cover present a serious health issue for those who suffer SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and the resulting depression. Naturally it hits people hardest in the winter, especially here in the Northwest.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Yes, periods of cloud cover present a serious health issue for those who suffer SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and the resulting depression. Naturally it hits people hardest in the winter, especially here in the Northwest.
I have to hand it to you...you are pretty good making bold, all encompassing statements light on facts and heavy on hyperbole then walking them back. Bravo young lady, bravo!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
The "plight" of our fellow human beings? You sure have a flare for the dramatic. Cloud cover is a plight?

There were probably 6-7 days where the sun cam out last month. Clear blue skies? No, but the sun was out and shining plus it was warmer than normal. Not exactly a "plight".

IT'S WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly! To add, if a little winter weather and cloud cover was "plight", why would "fellow human beings" choose to subject themselves to such suffering as you choose to perceive it?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I can relate directly with S.A.D and I live in Alaska, and I cope with it just fine! Perhaps that is why you are so sour and negative with the content of your postings, you cannot find a constructive way to cope with S.A.D. Find an activity that gets you off of your rearend and occupies your mind and body in postive manner. You will feel better for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area