Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 10,925 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're a family of three - me, my husband, and our almost 10-year-old son. We're thinking of moving from Southwest Missouri to Spokane just for a change of pace.

I'm a work-from-home transcriptionist, so my work can go anywhere. My husband is a CADD drafter for an engineering firm. We've looked and found several companies he may be able to work for in Spokane, which is great.

We've love to own a little bit of land on the outskirts of town, but I want it to be in a good spot for great schools, obviously, and where my husband's commute into Spokane wouldn't be insane. (He drives 30 minutes to work now, so something around that distance would be preferred to keep.)

Everything about Spokane was wonderful and highly appealing . . . until I read up on crime rates. Ouch! So, of course, I'd love to live in an area where I, as a helpless-looking woman with a child, would not feel uncomfortable leaving the house myself for the numerous doctors appointments I have for a chronic health condition.

I'm looking for recommendations on safe areas to live - thoughts?

Thank you for reading!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Price is a determining factor here. Are you looking for land with a home already on it? Or do you want to buy your own land and then build?

Out North of Spokane is some very nice areas for land and homes. Many are close to the water and state parks. Schools are good and will be filled with like minded people. Driving into Spokane won't be that bad as you'll be close to North Spokane shopping areas and there's a Hospital on the North Side. Your husbands commute depends entirely on where he works and where you live, obviously.

The property crime here is extreme, not so much personal crime (although it does happen as well). As with any city you need to be aware of your surroundings as well as aware of places you probably should not be. Typically Mom's don't have problems because you'll be shopping, working, taking kids to school and not a lot of crime happens in those areas. Plus, the best part is that it is very easy to get concealed weapons permit here in Spokane County, if you so desire.

I live up North so that is what I'm most familiar with. I think out towards Liberty Lake there's probably some good chances for land and homes, way more expensive the closer to the lake, but good schools out there as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM

We're looking to stay around a $125k mark or lower - we're open to either land with a home already or one we could build; we're not picky! We know buying an exisitng home is probably easier.

I'd like you to expand on "like-minded people," please. I've read some not-very-encouraging posts about racism and hijacked politics today! LOL

Yes, concealed carry sounds like it would be on our list.

Thank you so much for your input; it is most appreciated!!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlwhit03 View Post
We're looking to stay around a $125k mark or lower - we're open to either land with a home already or one we could build; we're not picky! We know buying an exisitng home is probably easier.

I'd like you to expand on "like-minded people," please. I've read some not-very-encouraging posts about racism and hijacked politics today! LOL

Yes, concealed carry sounds like it would be on our list.

Thank you so much for your input; it is most appreciated!!
Like minded people being folks who enjoy the outdoors, city parks, don't mind kids, like animals, like safety, work hard, take of themselves and people around them, smile when the weather is nice and try at least for a little bit to be positive.

Notice I did not say what sex, color, race or political persuasion "like-minded" people are. That other stuff is bull**** and what shallow people look at in the absence of anything more substantial in their own life.

Honestly $125K might be a little low for what you are looking for especially for something with acreage.

Out North near Mead schools (which are pretty good schools) there's 9.5 acres with gas, water, septic tank, etc already at the property for $125K. That's just the land. Out in Liberty Lake you can get .75 acre lot with Lake View for about $95K.

Unless you find your dream home or are going to be build it might be best to rent a place in town and explore the area a little. Depending on work location in either direction from Spokane there are lots of little areas where you can get a good place with good schools and still not have too bad of a commute. It just takes some planning, and boots on the ground to get a good lay of the land.

Don't live in fear. Thousands of people love whatever area they live in, don't assume you'll be any different.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM

Thank you so much! We're honestly finding a few places in our budget, just nothing that looks like "IT," if you know what I mean.

Do you have any recommendations for areas in Spokane that would be relatively safe-ish and nice for rental purposes? We are NOT against renting for a year or two AT ALL until we get the lay of the land. The only downside to that would be moving our son schools AGAIN, but . . . . it is what it is I suppose!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlwhit03 View Post
Thank you so much! We're honestly finding a few places in our budget, just nothing that looks like "IT," if you know what I mean.

Do you have any recommendations for areas in Spokane that would be relatively safe-ish and nice for rental purposes? We are NOT against renting for a year or two AT ALL until we get the lay of the land. The only downside to that would be moving our son schools AGAIN, but . . . . it is what it is I suppose!
Typically you're going to have better luck renting in a place where there are not a lot of rentals. I know that sounds funny to say but with the nicer schools in the area that typically means property values are higher, which means more single family housing of the McMansion type. It is what it is.

So, you're gonna want to look at renting a SFH or possibly a duplex in one of the nicer areas. In my area, Indian Trail we have some duplex rentals that are right near Woodridge Elementary which is a pretty good school. I'm not sure how old your kids are so if you concern is for Elementary or Jr and Sr High Schools.

I've lived in the North side my whole life, so I won't try to steer someplace I'm not familiar with. The SouthHill area of Spokane has some good schools as does the Mead (farther North) too. None of the schools in Spokane are really THAT bad. It's not like some of the schools we saw when we lived in Baltimore. There are some schools there that look scary and really poor. It's more a distinction of what type of student goes to the school relative to parental income. Some choices are better than others but a good kid can be a good student at the worst school...and vice versa. I know it sounds a bit wishy-washy, but let the board know some areas of town you've been looking at we can help you with more information if we have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area