Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 9,221 times

Advertisements

I've been getting the itch to move out of Kansas! I found interest in two areas (areas I haven't been to yet) by reading articles over "the best places to live."
I'd like to hear opinions on what people would prefer. I'm a little concerned about the job market and feel like I'm leaning towards Spokane. I'm in health care so a clinic or hospital is a must. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Santa Fe, NM.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM

101 posts, read 222,263 times
I don't know much about Santa Fe, but clinics and hospitals are abundant in Spokane. Healthcare is a big part of the economy and job opportunities, and is continuing to grow. I'd say that combined with cost of living over here is a good combo. Both renting and buying is affordable, and the increased cost of renting as opposed to buying is not nearly as inflated as many other cities of the same size. There are 4 large hospitals, and countless clinics and rehab facilities. Job market should not be much of an issue depending on your specific position or shift preference. Hope that helps!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyandsell509 View Post
I don't know much about Santa Fe, but clinics and hospitals are abundant in Spokane. Healthcare is a big part of the economy and job opportunities, and is continuing to grow. I'd say that combined with cost of living over here is a good combo. Both renting and buying is affordable, and the increased cost of renting as opposed to buying is not nearly as inflated as many other cities of the same size. There are 4 large hospitals, and countless clinics and rehab facilities. Job market should not be much of an issue depending on your specific position or shift preference. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the feedback!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Santa Fe would be my choice hands down, (I'm retired and like higher elevation and crisp SUNNY winters.) Very expensive to live in Santa Fe!!

but... If you are in your 'earning' years... job / Cost of living and several choices of those options lean toward Spokane. (dreary winters, hot summers)

You might drop by Sturgis, SD and Sheridan, WY on your way west. Both are also in income tax free states, have VA medical facilities, and are nice places to live.

Let us know your age / interests and budget, and we can be of more help. What part of Kansas are you coming from, and will you need to fly back very often? (If so... consider ABQ, SLC, SEA or PDX)

Both of your choices have some significant drawbacks.

You can get more choice in Seattle (but wet 2/3rd of yr) or Vancouver / Portland. 9% income tax in OR if you get ANY income there. Vancouver has VA, 2 Hospitals and Kaiser. Portland has oodles. (Adventist Medical is career location of choice).

Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Santa Fe would be my choice hands down, (I'm retired and like higher elevation and crisp SUNNY winters.) Very expensive to live in Santa Fe!!

but... If you are in your 'earning' years... job / Cost of living and several choices of those options lean toward Spokane. (dreary winters, hot summers)

You might drop by Sturgis, SD and Sheridan, WY on your way west. Both are also in income tax free states, have VA medical facilities, and are nice places to live.

Let us know your age / interests and budget, and we can be of more help. What part of Kansas are you coming from, and will you need to fly back very often? (If so... consider ABQ, SLC, SEA or PDX)

Both of your choices have some significant drawbacks.

You can get more choice in Seattle (but wet 2/3rd of yr) or Vancouver / Portland. 9% income tax in OR if you get ANY income there. Vancouver has VA, 2 Hospitals and Kaiser. Portland has oodles. (Adventist Medical is career location of choice).
Thanks for the response! Yes I'm 26 and work in health care as a PA. The four seasons don't bother me to much (I say that now) but I was also leaning towards Spokane because of how expensive it is to live in Sante Fe.

I am 26 years old and enjoy the outdoors. I'm looking at a price range from 200K to 375K for a house but I'm also looking for 10+ acres as well. I'm coming from Wichita, KS and have family in wichita and also in NE KS.

I'm not too interested in Seattle. I think it's because it's so desireable. I'm concerned about the job market for my boyfriend. He is a mechanic and is currently working with Spirit Aerospace.

I hope I gave enough information! If you need more please let me know... Thanks!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM

101 posts, read 222,263 times
I really like that the outlying areas of Spokane where acreage properties are available are within 25-40 minutes of the major hospitals Downtown, or downtown in general. I personally prefer far north Spokane in the Colbert/Wandermere area, but commute time is still the same in rural south hill, in the valley Greenacres and Liberty Lake areas as well. Plus you get a more secluded, private and serene setting while still having all the modern amenities and paved roads. Your price range is very realistic for almost all surrounding areas of Spokane with 10+ acres, and you'd probably be very pleased with the type of upgrades that could be expected at the higher end of your budget. What specialty are you most experienced with or most interested in for PA? There are a ton of different practices in town in addition to the major hospitals (Providence Sacred Heart, Holy Family, Deaconess, Valley Hospital) and Providence is building a huge multi-care/Outpatient clinic in the Valley along with many urgent care/primary care provider clinics. In fact, Providence is hiring PAs in this area for their urgent care centers right now. You should check out their website.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times
Santa Fe will have better weather and more sunshine most of the year. Santa Fe has a more unique and interesting culture and architecture. Both have a ton of outdoor mountain recreation close by. Spokane has nicer lakes. WA has no state income tax. The thing for me would be Santa Fe will have much sunnier winters, where Spokane will have more overcast gloomy skies.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,552 times
Don't count on a good healthcare job in Santa Fe. If you google you'll find the company that runs the hospital has run it into the ground and bought out all the formerly independent physician practices. Almost all healthcare in Santa Fe is owned by this company, which the community despises. People, literally, will drive the hour+ (one way) to Albuquerque to avoid the place. That means if you don't find a job you like in SF, you are commuting.

The cost of living in Santa Fe is high. They have a 'living wage' which has driven prices higher. If you are thinking of moving there set yourself up in a temporary situation and check it out first. NM is a great place to visit, but I would not recommend Santa Fe over Spokane. You'll have better job opportunities in Spokane, cheaper cost of living.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM

138 posts, read 269,979 times
Just came across this thread and I have to laugh because I LIVE in Santa Fe and am considering a move to Spokane or CDA. LOL.

Hokey you are correct that Christus has purchased most of the healthcare facilities in the city. It's been a catch 22, though- Many of these places (including our hospital) were in danger of closing and Christus has saved them. Also, it was getting very difficult to find Dr's who accepted more than just a few insurances and more and more were denying medicaid but Christus has changed that as well. The standard of care seems to be suffering, though.

Healthcare workers are in high demand here as we have a shallow labor pool and high turnover. BUT, you can't get much on 10 acres near SF for the price range the OP stated. It is pretty expensive to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area