Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 PM

158 posts, read 305,765 times

Advertisements

Hello Spokanites!
I will possibly be relocating to Spokane soon and have the opportunity to rent a house on W Wellesley ave near/around the VA medical center.
Was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area and could tell me if it is a decent/safe place to live & any other relative info about the area?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
That's a safe and decent area. Wellesley is a somewhat busy road, but not too bad west of Driscoll Blvd. You'll be close to the hiking trail off NW Blvd. that looks over the Spokane River. Close to Audubon Park, too. Downriver Grill & The Flying Goat are good nearby restaurants. You could walk to Fieldhouse Pizza & Pub, too.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
That's a safe and decent area. Wellesley is a somewhat busy road, but not too bad west of Driscoll Blvd. You'll be close to the hiking trail off NW Blvd. that looks over the Spokane River. Close to Audubon Park, too. Downriver Grill & The Flying Goat are good nearby restaurants. You could walk to Fieldhouse Pizza & Pub, too.
Thanks for the info WendyK, that's good to hear, I'm glad the hiking trail is close as well as the restaurants, nice conveniences. I lived briefly in the CDA/post falls area some years back and spent time in Spokane often but from some of the posts I've read about crime there recently it sounds like a whole different Spokane...maybe I just didn't notice before since I never actually lived there ?!
I still have friends in Post falls and a job already in place in Spokane should I accept... not looking forward to the 1000+ mile drive though!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:20 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
We used to a little north of that area. The Dwight Merkel Complex is a major hub for northside youth sports. Football, Soccer and Baseball/Softball. It can get pretty crowded down there during sports season. It's a great park too with a nice playground are for kids and a nice skate park for older kids, plus there is a paved trail around the whole thing. Like Wendy said its a decent area and close to a lot of conveniences.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
We used to a little north of that area. The Dwight Merkel Complex is a major hub for northside youth sports. Football, Soccer and Baseball/Softball. It can get pretty crowded down there during sports season. It's a great park too with a nice playground are for kids and a nice skate park for older kids, plus there is a paved trail around the whole thing. Like Wendy said its a decent area and close to a lot of conveniences.
Thanks for posting, I'm glad to hear that the area is decent and I am definitely looking forward to getting there and getting settled in before it starts to get really cold. It's been awhile since I've been to spokane so I'm sure some things have have probably changed.
Thanks again for commenting!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
I still have friends in Post falls and a job already in place in Spokane should I accept... not looking forward to the 1000+ mile drive though!
We drive up from SoCal to North Idaho and back every summer, and we try to vary the routes. If you're not in a hurry you can put a road trip itinerary together that will be memorable, in a good way! Of course if you're driving a U-Haul van or pulling a trailer you have to plan for that, but even so, you can look forward to some spectacular scenery. You can go up I-5 all the way to 84 in Oregon, to 395 in WA, that's the safest and most boring route, and even that one lets you enjoy Mt. Shasta and the Columbia River Gorge. If you're more adventurous you can go up 97 through Bend to the Gorge, or 395 through OR to Pendleton and Walla Walla. Or you can go wild and take 20 east through OR to Fruitland and Weiser, ID, and up 95 through Riggins to Lewiston, and up 195 through Pullman to Spokane. The one route I would not recommend is 95 through Nevada to Caldwell, ID (84). Mile after mile of barren desert...

Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We drive up from SoCal to North Idaho and back every summer, and we try to vary the routes. If you're not in a hurry you can put a road trip itinerary together that will be memorable, in a good way! Of course if you're driving a U-Haul van or pulling a trailer you have to plan for that, but even so, you can look forward to some spectacular scenery. You can go up I-5 all the way to 84 in Oregon, to 395 in WA, that's the safest and most boring route, and even that one lets you enjoy Mt. Shasta and the Columbia River Gorge. If you're more adventurous you can go up 97 through Bend to the Gorge, or 395 through OR to Pendleton and Walla Walla. Or you can go wild and take 20 east through OR to Fruitland and Weiser, ID, and up 95 through Riggins to Lewiston, and up 195 through Pullman to Spokane. The one route I would not recommend is 95 through Nevada to Caldwell, ID (84). Mile after mile of barren desert...
Thanks for the info... I've been checking out some of the routes you suggested and am seriously thinking about the "going wild" route!
I think that's going to be the ticket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area