Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 PM

83 posts, read 134,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
8 years living in LA here..... and yes Spokane looks exactly like bad parts of LA in our family's opinion

I grew up off El Segundo blvd between Western and Normandy almost to Athens Hill that was the 80's and 90's. So I know the meaning of rough.

My question to you is where does your perspective come from. Are you a blue collar worker or some office paper shuffler or a corp executive? I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but what one person might perceives as bad may not be that for others.

Even here in Nashville TN I run across people all the time that were raised in other "well to do" cities that bad mouth and say how dangerous some of the cities near by are but that is comparison to there wealthy city that they have always known.

I might be far off from trying to figure out why people say its bad in Spokane but I thought that I would at least give it a try.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,916,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssincity View Post
I grew up off El Segundo blvd between Western and Normandy almost to Athens Hill that was the 80's and 90's. So I know the meaning of rough.

My question to you is where does your perspective come from. Are you a blue collar worker or some office paper shuffler or a corp executive? I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but what one person might perceives as bad may not be that for others.

Even here in Nashville TN I run across people all the time that were raised in other "well to do" cities that bad mouth and say how dangerous some of the cities near by are but that is comparison to there wealthy city that they have always known.

I might be far off from trying to figure out why people say its bad in Spokane but I thought that I would at least give it a try.

Thanks for your reply.
I, too, want to know where some of these naysayers live and how much time they have actually spent in ALL parts of the Spokane County area. I have not posted here in a while because I'm a Realtor in the area, and apparently I'm a magician who's able to make people believe things that aren't reality. Well, yes I'm a Realtor, but I also live here and have a lot of friends here. And we're not hillbillies, meth heads, or any of the other negative stereotypes that some would have you believe are all that live here. Honestly, it's a pretty big city with a LOT of different types of people and ways of life.

Most of the people that I know here have good jobs, own their homes, have kids & pets and live safely without fear of being robbed or having daily criminal confrontations. This area also has a reputation of being one of the highest ranked philanthropic communities with a number of very wealthy people conducting fundraisers and charitable events to help those that are less fortunate.

I recommend that anyone considering a move here to visit first and explore all areas. It's common sense to figure out what's the best area to live in that you can afford.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
8 years living in LA here..... and yes Spokane looks exactly like bad parts of LA in our family's opinion
This is the most absurd post I've seen in quite a while. And I include my own, which is going some.

Bad parts of LA stretch for miles and miles, and include broken bottles, crack tubes, and the occasional corpse. Bad parts of Spokane stretch for maybe a block or two, and consist of abandoned cars or gardens full of plastic flowers.

Besdies, it's too cold in Spokane for most criminals.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,523,382 times
Spokane seems pretty harmless, actually. Nuff said. It's a fairly large city and has some cool new architecture downtown to enjoy. You'll have to poke around a little bit by car or on foot to see. They're trying. There's only so much money to go around for all the buildings. It's nothing like St. Louis.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:05 PM

448 posts, read 815,101 times
Quote:
I would really like for someone who might have a video camera or like a gopro to take some video of all this "Spokompton" like atmosphere. Everyone makes it seem like its a Hillbilly date your sister and live in your meth house with your sofa on your porch and shoot at your broken appliances on your un kept yard kind of place.

Or even some pics will do.
Just in case you hadn't heard of it, Google Maps has a Street View feature which allows you to see exactly what it would be like if you were driving around the city yourself. Just go to Google Maps and look for the yellow man in the bottom right corner, pick him up, and then drop him wherever in the city you want to browse. Clicking around moves you up or down the street or zooms the view.

I use it frequently to poke around areas. Nothing beats being somewhere in person, multiple times, but it's definitely a useful tool.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:08 PM

83 posts, read 134,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Just in case you hadn't heard of it, Google Maps has a Street View feature which allows you to see exactly what it would be like if you were driving around the city yourself. Just go to Google Maps and look for the yellow man in the bottom right corner, pick him up, and then drop him wherever in the city you want to browse. Clicking around moves you up or down the street or zooms the view.

I use it frequently to poke around areas. Nothing beats being somewhere in person, multiple times, but it's definitely a useful tool.

I am a commercial driver and use it(Google) weekly here in TN but I would really like to see where all this crime and trash is that they keep talking about in Spokane.

I know some of the roughest parts of LA but Google maps make it look ok but there are some places that I wouldn't want to be caught there after dark!

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,523,382 times

Good point, ShadoAngel. I'm using it right now to search for a home to rent in eastern Washington. It works pretty well and ought to be a moneymaker for Google.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:36 PM

67 posts, read 156,486 times
Quote:
No, I do not live there yet as we are in debate over one other City that we have lived in before and No, I am not an Realestate Agent but from the pics that I have seen over the last few years I must be really missing something. Every State/City has an area that is there arm pit. So why would WA and Spokane be any different.

I would really like for someone who might have a video camera or like a gopro to take some video of all this "Spokompton" like atmosphere. Everyone makes it seem like its a Hillbilly date your sister and live in your meth house with your sofa on your porch and shoot at your broken appliances on your un kept yard kind of place.

Or even some pics will do.

How about some proof for those of us that might be moving there "blind"

I am from LA and I know what the REAL Compton is like and which is really not that bad. So Spokane would have to be really really bad for me to be worried.

Anyone ever been in down town LA? I can point out all the drunks, beggars, homeless, drug users, hookers you could ever look at but I do not judge on what seems to be segregated in parts of the City.
Paragraph 2...you described it perfectly!

Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times
I move to the Spokane/Coeur'd Alene area a few years ago. I am moving away as soon as I can. I have a family, and I am mid-aged. I have a technical degree and a business degree. It has been a waste of time and a detriment to my career. People are small minded, predjudice and uneducated. They lack experiences (business and social) of people who have been in larger urban areas. They are cold and dont like outsiders. It's a place where the local folk who are small and petty look big because everyone else is even smaller. They are a bunch of know-it-alls, and dont want your help. And trust me, they need your help! I know 3 other types like me that lasted from 2 to 8 years and all gave it a go and moved away. Sad, really.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,444,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal person View Post
I move to the Spokane/Coeur'd Alene area a few years ago. I am moving away as soon as I can. I have a family, and I am mid-aged. I have a technical degree and a business degree. It has been a waste of time and a detriment to my career. People are small minded, predjudice and uneducated. They lack experiences (business and social) of people who have been in larger urban areas. They are cold and dont like outsiders. It's a place where the local folk who are small and petty look big because everyone else is even smaller. They are a bunch of know-it-alls, and dont want your help. And trust me, they need your help! I know 3 other types like me that lasted from 2 to 8 years and all gave it a go and moved away. Sad, really.
You're mid-aged(sic)? Where are you moving away to? Unfortunately no place can be everything for everyone. What industry do you work in? What is your technical degree in? How was your career before you moved here? Why did you move? What experiences are you referring to that the uneducated people you hang around with lack? What kind of small people do you hang around with that seem big but make people "smaller"? And, who are the know it alls that you surround yourself with? What neighborhood do these know it all reside in (so we can steer clear of those areas)? What help do the small people who are know it all that make small people feel smaller need and what help did you offer the uneducated small people you surrounded yourself with? You moved here a few years ago? Where did the 3 other people who lived here for 2 to years move to? Are they the small uneducated people that you are referring to?

Sad indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area