Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,200 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a pianist/piano teacher, and my husband is going to start his master's program at Gonzaga University in January. We are learning about different areas in Spokane. We thought about renting a house near the university, but I am thinking that it might not be the best area for me to build my piano studio.

From what I have read, the areas recommended by most people are:
South Hill, Audubon Park/Downriver area, Emerson-Garfield area

The areas to avoid are:
Hillyard, West Central

Good school districts are:
Mead, Central Valley district

We are a newly married couple and don't have kids. My husband will be going to school everyday and probably getting a part time job on campus. I will hopefully find a job as an accompanist but also have to teach at home, so living in a good school district may be good to find students...?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 PM

68 posts, read 211,032 times
Your analysis seems spot on.

South Hill and Audobon feed into the better schools within Spokane School district (probably on par with CV and a notch below Mead), so you would probably find enough students. Emerson Garfield would be within walking distance from Gonzaga, although it's a bit more of a transitional area with all that implies (I personally really like it, but it's not for everybody). I would probably nix Mead and the Central Valley if you don't have children, as they are a ways from GU.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:38 AM

Thank you, spotown11.

I was thinking Mead and Central Valley might be too far too. We will be looking in South Hill and Aubodon areas. We can keep Emerson Garfield in mind and when we actually go there we can see if we like it or not.

We are moving from Oregon coast and have no experience with living in the really cold area. Are there anything we should be aware of when we are looking for a house? I am hoping to get a place with a fireplace so we can save electricity. Do we need an air conditioner in the summer?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistahills View Post
Do we need an air conditioner in the summer?
YES.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
YES.
But only for a week or two.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:59 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistahills View Post
Hi, I am a pianist/piano teacher, and my husband is going to start his master's program at Gonzaga University in January. We are learning about different areas in Spokane. We thought about renting a house near the university, but I am thinking that it might not be the best area for me to build my piano studio.

From what I have read, the areas recommended by most people are:
South Hill, Audubon Park/Downriver area, Emerson-Garfield area

The areas to avoid are:
Hillyard, West Central

Good school districts are:
Mead, Central Valley district

We are a newly married couple and don't have kids. My husband will be going to school everyday and probably getting a part time job on campus. I will hopefully find a job as an accompanist but also have to teach at home, so living in a good school district may be good to find students...?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you!
I would also avoid East Spokane north of 14th Avenue up until Havana Street.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:44 PM

Thank you, David Aquilar, Yeledaf, and Mopac1980.

Going back to South Hill and Audubon areas, from where to where exactly do you call "South Hill" and "Audubon"? I am guessing that Audubon is around Audubon park, but it seems like a pretty small area compare to South Hill. I also read that "lower South Hill" isn't as good. Is it true?

I found a house across the street from Audubon park, and another house near Manito park. My husband thinks that houses near a park may not be very safe. What do you think?

Another question is this: how important is it to have a garage? Some of the houses I found don't have a garage. Is it a big minus considering how cold it gets at night?

Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 AM

68 posts, read 211,032 times
South Hill would be anything within the city limits South of I90. The lower south hill has more property crime, but is close to downtown/Gonzaga and has a lot of nice urban amenities. The rougher areas would be within a few blocks of I90 in general. The Perry District (Perry St. between bout 8th and 12th and surrounding neighborhoods) is a very cool, up and coming area on the lower South Hill. Reminds me of a more low key and less weird East Portland neighborhood.

Audobon Park is the residential neighborhoods surrounding the park, which has great access to Downtown, Gonzaga, and Riverside State Park. You should be fine near most parks. The only issue is that more foot traffic could increase the chances of theft if you are not careful with your belongings.

Garages are super nice in winter. Scraping ice off the windshield every day gets old, and it gets below freezing most nights from November-March, sometimes longer...

Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
What spotown said.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Thank you again, spotown.
Hopefully we will find a house with a garage in Audubon or South Hill neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area