Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM

38 posts, read 88,983 times

Advertisements

And if it so dry in the eastern part of the state then how do they get so much snow? Where does all moisture come from to make snow but not rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 PM

448 posts, read 812,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbioryl View Post
Why does Coeur d'alene get over ten inches more rain than Spokane? And if it so dry in the eastern part of the state then how do they get so much snow? Where does all moisture come from to make snow but not rain?
1. Coeur d'Alene receives more rain than Spokane because it is further away from the rain shadow of the Cascade mountains and higher in elevation. If you look at a map of annual precipitation in the Pacific Northwest, you can see how the elevation change in Idaho causes a dramatic increase in annual precipitation. It's wetter in North Idaho and on the Idaho/Montana border for the same reason it's wetter on the western side of the Cascades - rising elevation forces air up, cools it, condensing the moisture in the air, and causing precipitation.

2 & 3. While the Cascades cause the eastern parts of Oregon and Washington to be significantly drier than the western parts, the whole region is subject to the same weather patterns. The air over the Pacific Ocean oscillates between clockwise and counter-clockwise throughout the year - clockwise during the spring and summer and counter-clockwise in autumn and winter. When the air comes from the northwest, it's predominately dry and sunny - which is why the Pacific Northwest has famously good summer weather. In the winter this air comes from the southwest and brings warmer, moist air from the Pacific Ocean to the region. This is why it's famously wet, soggy, and drizzling much of the year on the west side of the Cascades. Because it is colder on the eastern side of the mountains, the same weather pattern will dump snow instead of rain on the Inland Northwest.

Summary: The Pacific Northwest experiences pronounced wet and dry seasons. The wet season is during the winter, which causes there to be more snow than rain on the eastern side of the Cascades. CDA receives more rainfall because it's out of the rain shadow of the Cascades whereas Spokane is more of the transition zone between the dry side of the Cascades and the wet side of the Rockies.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
1. Coeur d'Alene receives more rain than Spokane because it is further away from the rain shadow of the Cascade mountains and higher in elevation. If you look at a map of annual precipitation in the Pacific Northwest, you can see how the elevation change in Idaho causes a dramatic increase in annual precipitation. It's wetter in North Idaho and on the Idaho/Montana border for the same reason it's wetter on the western side of the Cascades - rising elevation forces air up, cools it, condensing the moisture in the air, and causing precipitation.

2 & 3. While the Cascades cause the eastern parts of Oregon and Washington to be significantly drier than the western parts, the whole region is subject to the same weather patterns. The air over the Pacific Ocean oscillates between clockwise and counter-clockwise throughout the year - clockwise during the spring and summer and counter-clockwise in autumn and winter. When the air comes from the northwest, it's predominately dry and sunny - which is why the Pacific Northwest has famously good summer weather. In the winter this air comes from the southwest and brings warmer, moist air from the Pacific Ocean to the region. This is why it's famously wet, soggy, and drizzling much of the year on the west side of the Cascades. Because it is colder on the eastern side of the mountains, the same weather pattern will dump snow instead of rain on the Inland Northwest.

Summary: The Pacific Northwest experiences pronounced wet and dry seasons. The wet season is during the winter, which causes there to be more snow than rain on the eastern side of the Cascades. CDA receives more rainfall because it's out of the rain shadow of the Cascades whereas Spokane is more of the transition zone between the dry side of the Cascades and the wet side of the Rockies.

There will be a test on the above tomorrow morning at 8:00AM. J01. Coeur d'Alene receives more rain than Spokane because it is further away from the rain shadow of the Cascade mountains and higher in elevation. If you look at a map of annual precipitation in the Pacific Northwest, you can see how the elevation change in Idaho causes a dramatic increase in annual precipitation. It's wetter in North Idaho and on the Idaho/Montana border for the same reason it's wetter on the western side of the Cascades - rising elevation forces air up, cools it, condensing the moisture in the air, and causing precipitation.

Summary: The Pacific Northwest experiences pronounced wet and dry seasons. The wet season is during the winter, which causes there to be more snow than rain on the eastern side of the Cascades. CDA receives more rainfall because it's out of the rain shadow of the Cascades whereas Spokane is more of the transition zone between the dry side of the Cascades and the wet side of the Rockies.1. Coeur d'Alene receives more rain than Spokane because it is further away from the rain shadow of the Cascade mountains and higher in elevation. If you look at a map of annual precipitation in the Pacific Northwest, you can see how the elevation change in Idaho causes a dramatic increase in annual precipitation. It's wetter in North Idaho and on the Idaho/Montana border for the same reason it's wetter on the western side of the Cascades - rising elevation forces air up, cools it, condensing the moisture in the air, and causing precipitation.

Study this as it can be used as sort of a Reader's Digest guide to weather on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountain range. I am absolutely thrilled ta be returning to Washington state. I'm moving to Moses Lake round about February 10th, 2015.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
1. Coeur d'Alene receives more rain than Spokane because it is further away from the rain shadow of the Cascade mountains and higher in elevation.
30 miles makes that much difference? I get the elevation thing though.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
I am absolutely thrilled ta be returning to Washington state. I'm moving to Moses Lake round about February 10th, 2015.
Yay, Elko! You're coming back up north! Remember to stop by at the NID Porch and say hi!

Last edited by Count David; 01-30-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM

448 posts, read 812,708 times
Quote:
30 miles makes that much difference? I get the elevation thing though.
It's the combination. I'm sure if it was the same elevation or lower, the distance wouldn't matter so much. Another 35ish miles past Coeur d'Alene and another 200' higher in elevation is Kellogg, which receives another 7-8 more inches than CDA, and several feet more in snowfall. In rugged mountainous terrain, a few miles can make a huge difference in local weather patterns.

I think it's the fact that once you're out of the rain shadow and you start throwing in the higher elevation, the air is ready to drop moisture again.

Lastly, there are other weather phenomenon that can cause weather to be vastly different even just a few miles away. Lake effect snow is a prime example.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Yay, Elko! You're coming back up north! Remember to stop by at the NID Porch and say hi!

Hey, I've really neglected The NID Porch, haven't I? For goodness sakes! I was a regular for many moon on there. I'll have ta stop by and say hi as you say. Uh-huh...I have been back down here in the SW desert and it's been a good ride down here. Picked up a '11 Kia Soul as a result of the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' serpentine belt breaking apart heading south to El Paso one day in early July 2014. Traded that broken down car for a nicely-running '11 Kia Soul 5-speed stick. I love this '11 Kia Soul 5-speed so much I am thinking very strongly of heading west to Phoenix and scoring a new '15 Kia Soul 6-speed stick. They're pricing them so low I don't think I'll be able ta resist not scoring one.

Whichever rig we go with we're loading up the U-Haul truck on Sunday, February 8th. Pretty much stuck with the idea of getting a Sleep Tech. position in Washington state for months upon months. Finally struck gold when they called me back from a Sleep Clinic located on the eastern side of Washington. Perfect! I am coming aboard and my first day of work is February 15th in Moses Lake. I'll head over to the NID Porch later.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:14 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
1 Inch of rain equals 1 foot of snow..
This is how it can seem like so much.. When it is not...

Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
1 Inch of rain equals 1 foot of snow..
This is how it can seem like so much.. When it is not...
Some weather services don't break down rain vs snow but just all precip. So they are counting that 1 foot of snow as 1 inch of precip in their yearly totals, correct?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Hey, I've really neglected The NID Porch, haven't I? For goodness sakes! I was a regular for many moon on there. I'll have ta stop by and say hi as you say. Uh-huh...I have been back down here in the SW desert and it's been a good ride down here. Picked up a '11 Kia Soul as a result of the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' serpentine belt breaking apart heading south to El Paso one day in early July 2014. Traded that broken down car for a nicely-running '11 Kia Soul 5-speed stick. I love this '11 Kia Soul 5-speed so much I am thinking very strongly of heading west to Phoenix and scoring a new '15 Kia Soul 6-speed stick. They're pricing them so low I don't think I'll be able ta resist not scoring one.

Whichever rig we go with we're loading up the U-Haul truck on Sunday, February 8th. Pretty much stuck with the idea of getting a Sleep Tech. position in Washington state for months upon months. Finally struck gold when they called me back from a Sleep Clinic located on the eastern side of Washington. Perfect! I am coming aboard and my first day of work is February 15th in Moses Lake. I'll head over to the NID Porch later.
Congrats on the new job, and have a safe trip! Remember to pack a "hotbox" with all your necessities for the first night in the new place. And one nice weekend in March when you guys are settled in, drive up to Spokane and go stand on one of the bridges over the Falls and hi-five each other. Another weekend, drive up to Sandpoint and have beer cheese soup, a burger and a local beer at MickDuff's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area