Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times

Advertisements

Casportsfan,

I appreciate your perspective. The public/private bond financing you're referecing is the RiverPark Square development and parking garage. That entire deal would take way, way to much time to summarize here. Yes, it was a major downtown revitalization project so you are correct there. It was, however, only one of many, many projects.

The difference downtown since 95' is night and day in my opinion. Sure, there are (unfortunately) not a bunch of new highrises (although the new Davenport Tower is 20+ stories). But there is RiverPark Square, the Davenport, Davenport Tower, Fox Theater, convention center expansion, opera house updating, lots of new restaurants, bars, the u-district, revitalization of west first, Sarnac building, etc.

Spokane still has a good deal of work left to do but I hope this recent downturn is only a temporary bump in the progress of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 PM

426 posts, read 958,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I don't think a large new building has gone up downtown the past 25 years or so. Atleast it's been that long since the skyline changed much.
It's not much, but the Davenport Tower opened a few years ago. Only 20 stories, but it's something.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
I can help. I disagree with Treefriend, sorry I don't see Spokane as dirty at all. I live in Northern Spokane and wouldn't live in any other area except for maybe the Valley because it is close to Couer de Lene Idaho which is a beautiful resort. I have lived in Nebraska, California (several locations) and yes Portland (several locations). Spokane is sunnier, friendlier and cheaper. It has about 200 thousand people so it has a medium town feel but there is LOTS to do. In the winter you are within an hour from several ski and snowboarding resorts and you can rent equipment that is dirt cheap. In the summer there are several huge amuzement parks with water parks and all and lots of lakes around the area for water sports. Then like I said there is Idaho which is beautiful within a 45-minute drive. Spokane is also fairly close to the Canadian border. I don't find it too hot. Maybe a few weeks to a month of hot weather above 90 but it is dry heat not humid. The winters are usually mild (although this year we had a ton of snow). There is rarely any wind so it isn't that below freezing stuff like Wisconsin and back east. I find the weather very mild yet you get all the seasons here.

Now for Portland. I found it beautiful but depressing because it rains all the time. You basically have 3-4 months of sunshine. The people aren't as friendly there but it is a nice city. It is also more expensive and closer to the beach. Within about 2-hours of driving time.

Basically I like Spokane better but it depends on where you choose to live. Tell me if you are single, how old you are, do you have kids and what kind of housing are you looking at? I can direct you better if I know details. Before I moved here I did over a year of research and I found a great school system for my kids and a great area. Maybe Treefriend lives in the not-so-good part of town. Every town has its good and bad areas. Not sure but I don't know what they are talking about with Seattle either. Seattle is rainy, expensive and the traffic is horrendous. I personally wouldn't move there, but this is all your decision. I am a really picky person with my living environment.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help you and further and keep in touch. I am moving this summer and we will be selling a 3500 square foot home dirt cheap.

Raelyn

Last edited by Raelyn28; 05-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: mistakes in my typing

Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
Casportsfan,

I appreciate your perspective. The public/private bond financing you're referecing is the RiverPark Square development and parking garage. That entire deal would take way, way to much time to summarize here. Yes, it was a major downtown revitalization project so you are correct there. It was, however, only one of many, many projects.

The difference downtown since 95' is night and day in my opinion. Sure, there are (unfortunately) not a bunch of new highrises (although the new Davenport Tower is 20+ stories). But there is RiverPark Square, the Davenport, Davenport Tower, Fox Theater, convention center expansion, opera house updating, lots of new restaurants, bars, the u-district, revitalization of west first, Sarnac building, etc.

Spokane still has a good deal of work left to do but I hope this recent downturn is only a temporary bump in the progress of the city.
95' is actually when I left, so it makes sense that my perspective is a bit different I guess. Although I took periodic trips back, I am not nearly as up to speed on what is going in the city as a resident.

Over the last couple months I began to do some research on the area to see what was going on development wise, and it's good to see that some progress is being made. As a kid, I was always hoping that the skyline would improve or some infusion of industry would take place in downtown.

Personally, I think if they could infuse downtown and shape up the image a bit, the area is ready for a pro sports franchise of some sort. I wouldn't count the Shock, Indians, or chiefs as a pro sports team either. When the city built that new arena (was the old collesium demolished?), I think they opened the door for a National Hockey League team to come in, and the city should push for this. There is plenty of interest in hockey up there, Spokane is close to Canada, and considering the area is somewhat provincial with a lot of pride I am sure they would have no trouble selling out on a regular basis. It's a pretty good sports town.

While living up there, I had also long hoped that the city would improve Joe Albi Stadium. If it could be expanded from 35,000 people (rough estimate) to say, 55,000, maybe a Major League baseball team would be in the cities' future? Well, that is probably a longshot, considering the size of the Spokane metro area and the weather, but I had always hoped the city would just take those steps just to put itself on the map and open the eyes of the various leagues.

Sacramento had the chance to really revitalize its downtown, as a new basketball stadium for the Kings was proposed. The proposal would have completely cleaned up an industrial eyesore near downtown, and would have brought a large influx of business and riverfront acitiviy into that part of downtown. Again, the citizens shot down a bond measure to fund it that only asked for a fractional cent increase in sales tax. Another shame.

I think when cities don't take the chances to improve when they can, they just waste potential.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
95' is actually when I left, so it makes sense that my perspective is a bit different I guess. Although I took periodic trips back, I am not nearly as up to speed on what is going in the city as a resident.

Over the last couple months I began to do some research on the area to see what was going on development wise, and it's good to see that some progress is being made. As a kid, I was always hoping that the skyline would improve or some infusion of industry would take place in downtown.

Personally, I think if they could infuse downtown and shape up the image a bit, the area is ready for a pro sports franchise of some sort. I wouldn't count the Shock, Indians, or chiefs as a pro sports team either. When the city built that new arena (was the old collesium demolished?), I think they opened the door for a National Hockey League team to come in, and the city should push for this. There is plenty of interest in hockey up there, Spokane is close to Canada, and considering the area is somewhat provincial with a lot of pride I am sure they would have no trouble selling out on a regular basis. It's a pretty good sports town.

While living up there, I had also long hoped that the city would improve Joe Albi Stadium. If it could be expanded from 35,000 people (rough estimate) to say, 55,000, maybe a Major League baseball team would be in the cities' future? Well, that is probably a longshot, considering the size of the Spokane metro area and the weather, but I had always hoped the city would just take those steps just to put itself on the map and open the eyes of the various leagues.

Sacramento had the chance to really revitalize its downtown, as a new basketball stadium for the Kings was proposed. The proposal would have completely cleaned up an industrial eyesore near downtown, and would have brought a large influx of business and riverfront acitiviy into that part of downtown. Again, the citizens shot down a bond measure to fund it that only asked for a fractional cent increase in sales tax. Another shame.

I think when cities don't take the chances to improve when they can, they just waste potential.
Good post, but I don't think Spokane meets the NHL population standards. I could be mistaken, but NHL cities are atleast 1 million plus.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times
Yes, the old Coliseum was demolished and replaced with a new arena that is much, much nicer and has allowed Spokane to host significantly better concerts and sporting events. A pro team for Spokane would be great but right now there just insn't the population or corporate base to pull it off. Even Portland only has the Blazers (though they are getting a MLS soccer team soon). The Shock draw very well, usually over 10k per game and it is almost impossible to get a ticket to GU basketball. I think the Indians typically lead their league in attendance and the Chiefs do pretty well at the gate so the minor league and college teams are pretty well supported.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
One thing I think we could all agree with is that Spokane, just like any other city, isn't for everyone.

Yes, there is a mold that is needed to live in spokane, That is a love of Northwest nature. If you like pine trees, rivers that run through town and falls to be gazed at. One must also be laid back, because that is the only type of adventure your going to find here. You wont find the x games, or other extreme sports in large quantities. If you like to relax and fish, hike, camp, or take in the view of what the pacific northwest has to offer then you fit the mold that is spokane. If you want adrenaline gushing, heart pumping, thrill seeking adventure...get out and stay out. Spokane will have none of that.

If you want constant weather Spokane isnt for you either, there is a saying here, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!"

Spokane also has another down side, Seattle, Your probably thinking how is Seattle a downside. because every dollar that you give to taxes goes there first and the rest gets spread out to the other towns in Washington including Spokane. Which leaves spokane with a budget to laugh at. Spokane need to inact a beautification project to spruce up the area. A walk along the river will soon turn to disgust with the piles of garbage along the shore. Hikes are a danger not due to wildlife or cliffs but the the broken glass and even sometimes a strung out junkie looking for a fix.
Wow. I'm surprised you fit in anywhere in Washington, east or west. It's pretty much laid back and I don't know of much street luiging(sp?) going on. The most exciting the average population gets is snowboarding and parasailing. I suppose there's always someone somewhere hurling themselves off cliffs and stuff like that...but not anyone I know. I'm surprised that if you couldn't find it in Spokane, you couldn't find it at least in Northern Idaho that's more touristy.

I do however totally agree with the fact that Seattle sucks most all of the funding(much of which is wasted!) from the rest of the state. Also, if something's up for a vote it doesn't matter how the rest of the state goes, it'll end up whatever Seattle voted for, OR something major in Seattle is voted down and the politicians bend over backward to still figure out a way to get it funded. Yeah, does that happen much in other parts of the state? :~/ D

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Good post, but I don't think Spokane meets the NHL population standards. I could be mistaken, but NHL cities are atleast 1 million plus.
You are probably right. The size of the city, along with the lack of national exposure and small market are probably limiting factors. But still, you can see the opportunities that just building that new stadium created for Spokane . . . Nationally televised ice skating competitions, NCAA tournament games, etc. . . . That's how you eventually draw a professional team. Just build the staduim and create the amenities and give them a reason to come.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
I don't know why Treefriend thinks Spokane is dirty?? They must live in a really bad neighborhood and never leave the area because there is soooo much beauty in and around the Spokane area. I am a very picky person. North Spokane and some parts of the Valley are beautiful... Absolutely beautiful. It is a medium sized city and within minimum driving distance there is LOTS to do. There are amusement parks, mountains for snowboarding/skiing, parks, scenery, lakes, rivers, Canada is close, Idaho is amazing and you can drive to Seattle in less than a day and Portland is 6-hours away. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. I am not sure what the dirty means either??? Maybe after a snow when things are slushy it is dirty for a couple of weeks but honestly I don't get the comment on that. Maybe Treefriend has never been to L.A.???? Maybe Treefriend should visit another city...

Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I don't know why Treefriend thinks Spokane is dirty?? They must live in a really bad neighborhood and never leave the area because there is soooo much beauty in and around the Spokane area. I am a very picky person. North Spokane and some parts of the Valley are beautiful... Absolutely beautiful. It is a medium sized city and within minimum driving distance there is LOTS to do. There are amusement parks, mountains for snowboarding/skiing, parks, scenery, lakes, rivers, Canada is close, Idaho is amazing and you can drive to Seattle in less than a day and Portland is 6-hours away. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. I am not sure what the dirty means either??? Maybe after a snow when things are slushy it is dirty for a couple of weeks but honestly I don't get the comment on that. Maybe Treefriend has never been to L.A.???? Maybe Treefriend should visit another city...
Spokane does appear dirty, if you only go to the northern half of town. Not quite Los Angeles dirty, but kind of old, unkempt, and rundown in parts. Especially the eastern side of the northern half.

Now, South Hill is an entirely different story. I think the area around Manito Park just might be one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area