Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 4,082 times

Advertisements

I've moved back to the USA after retiring from 40 years working & living in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Belgium) and living in temporary digs until I find the right place to live out my span. My life partner has passed. I like to think I am younger than my Passport says (72), but that is probably mostly vanity.

My siblings & their spouses want me near, and are in the Bay Area and Southern Oregon, and I need to be close to a good VA hospital (Viet Nam vet). Best VA hospitals on the West Coast are in Palo Alto, Portland, Seattle and Spokane, so those are top candidate areas.

I will have to build a new social net - but I'm not sexually active or a bar fly, and relatively serious, slightly extrovert, slightly shy, and get along fine in non-gay environments. I want to live in an area where there is a good choice of entertainment (from Classical Music to light jazz, movies to plays) and hopefully a street cafe scene where a single is not an island. I have no idea what Senior Centres are like, but I enjoy Bridge, so that might be a good place to start.

I am thinking I should rent in the top candidate choice first, buying later if the area feels right and I start developing friendships. I'm fortunate to have reasonable financial flexibility, and have a house I can sell when the time is right - it's just a temporary home in Reno bought sight unseen until I find the right spot - which Reno ain't !

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 AM

65 posts, read 100,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhad View Post
I've moved back to the USA after retiring from 40 years working & living in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Belgium) and living in temporary digs until I find the right place to live out my span. My life partner has passed. I like to think I am younger than my Passport says (72), but that is probably mostly vanity.

My siblings & their spouses want me near, and are in the Bay Area and Southern Oregon, and I need to be close to a good VA hospital (Viet Nam vet). Best VA hospitals on the West Coast are in Palo Alto, Portland, Seattle and Spokane, so those are top candidate areas.

I will have to build a new social net - but I'm not sexually active or a bar fly, and relatively serious, slightly extrovert, slightly shy, and get along fine in non-gay environments. I want to live in an area where there is a good choice of entertainment (from Classical Music to light jazz, movies to plays) and hopefully a street cafe scene where a single is not an island. I have no idea what Senior Centres are like, but I enjoy Bridge, so that might be a good place to start.

I am thinking I should rent in the top candidate choice first, buying later if the area feels right and I start developing friendships. I'm fortunate to have reasonable financial flexibility, and have a house I can sell when the time is right - it's just a temporary home in Reno bought sight unseen until I find the right spot - which Reno ain't !

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thank you for your service, sir.

I wish I could offer some advice; but, I'm looking to move to the area myself, hopefully visiting this summer. Good luck to you!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM

735 posts, read 871,497 times
What the what, how has [almost] no one responded to this post? We have a couple of regulars that should be better able to speak to the VA issue.

First off, again thank you for your service and condolences on the lost of your partner.

I can think of a couple of neighborhoods that sound like they maybe a good fit. Though being reasonably close to a VA hospital sounds like it needs to be a top priority, so I am just going to bump this in the hopes that someone better informed will respond.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
What the what, how has [almost] no one responded to this post? We have a couple of regulars that should be better able to speak to the VA issue.

First off, again thank you for your service and condolences on the lost of your partner.

I can think of a couple of neighborhoods that sound like they maybe a good fit. Though being reasonably close to a VA hospital sounds like it needs to be a top priority, so I am just going to bump this in the hopes that someone better informed will respond.
The OP is aware that there is a VA hospital in Spokane, and described it as one of the best. No other issues were raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: