Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:07 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Again, you are not OP. They want space for critters, etc. but they're also quite career oriented. I saw no mention of the term acreage. They want a LOT of stuff and it's my opinion Seattle and surrounding areas will afford them their best shot at all of it. You got a problem with that? Coming from California the bedroom communities of Seattle are more affordable. Career-oriented folk routinely commute to Seattle from less populated places within and without King County like Port Orchard, Vashon/Bainbridge Island, Bremerton, Carnation, Kent, etc, etc.
D-U-H ....Did you not see where I bolded the quote of the OP? How did you miss where they said they want a-c-r-e-a-g-e,lol?????????

Besides the way higher COL in the Seattle area what thinking person would want to live with the threat of a 9.0 MEGAQUAKE!

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest: Sandi Doughton: 9781570619427: Amazon.com: Books

Cascadia's Fault: The Coming Earthquake and Tsunami that Could Devastate North America by Jerry Thompson

http://www.amazon.com/Cascadias-Faul..._bxgy_b_text_y

You must be a King County realtor,that you're so bent out of shape because I point out that your are wasting the OP's time by ignoring what their wish list is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:54 PM

206 posts, read 333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Cascadia's Fault: The Coming Earthquake and Tsunami that Could Devastate North America by Jerry Thompson

Cascadia's Fault: The Coming Earthquake and Tsunami that Could Devastate North America: Jerry Thompson, Simon Winchester: 9781582438245: Amazon.com: Books

You must be a King County realtor,that you're so bent out of shape because I point out that your are wasting the OP's time by ignoring what their wish list is!
Spokane has an earthquake fault line running smack down it's center and areas of North Idaho had a shake up just a week or two ago. But that's really neither here nor there. I stopped listening to the gloom and doomers when I continually saw their predictions fall flat. But hey...if that's your thing, I hear Yellowstone's thinking 'bout going catastrophic soon. And when that happens Spokane's much more likely to get the fall out then areas West of the Cascades.

BTW I can think of several places other than King County that might suit OP's needs. Care to hear about them "i_love-autumn"?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:07 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Spokane has an earthquake fault line running smack down it's center and areas of North Idaho had a shake up just a week or two ago. But that's really neither here nor there. I stopped listening to the gloom and doomers when I continually saw their predictions fall flat. But hey...if that's your thing, I hear Yellowstone's thinking 'bout going catastrophic soon. And when that happens Spokane's much more likely to get the fall out then areas West of the Cascades.

BTW I can think of several places other than King County that might suit OP's needs. Care to hear about them "i_love-autumn"?
Plain to see that you don't know squat about the difference between an earthquake "fault" and a "subduction" zone.

Since the title of this thread is....."Desperately Seeking to Relocate to Spokane/Surrounding Areas" no one checking THIS thread is interested in Western Washington state.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:51 PM

206 posts, read 333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Since the title of this thread is....."Desperately Seeking to Relocate to Spokane/Surrounding Areas" no one checking THIS thread is interested in Western Washington state.
Unless you wrote OP you shouldn't presume to speak for him/her; and you sure as heck can't speak for everyone else. It's not unusual for subjects related to Western WA and other areas of interest to come up on this board. Boise and Denver, for example, come up pretty frequently. Get used to it.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:58 AM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
And when that happens Spokane's much more likely to get the fall out then areas West of the Cascades.
Actually if past eruptions are any indication of damage from the fall out, Spokane will probably be fine, as will most places northwest of the caldera.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Actually if past eruptions are any indication of damage from the fall out, Spokane will probably be fine, as will most places northwest of the caldera.
Yep, prevailing winds/jetstream travel generally west to east across the continent.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
I am reading a fascinating book (thank you i_love_autumn) written in an engaging style approximating chapters in a novel: Amazon.com: Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest eBook: Sandi Doughton: Kindle Store I can't put it down and that's saying something since I am somewhat of a fussy reader...I desire grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, style, flow and a good story line. This book has it all which is rather amazing for a non-fiction work describing current earthquake models for the PNW.

Last edited by Jumpindogs; 05-09-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Here is a link for soil class maps and liquefaction maps by county...another important piece of the earthquake puzzle along with fault lines. Took me some time to find it but it was worth it. ftp://ww4.dnr.wa.gov/geology/pubs/ofr04-20/

I was relieved to see our Sequim property in a low liquefaction risk area and a class B soil area. But most of Sequim...not so good.

And here is a map of the area faults. Kumar Ramachandran - Seismic Tomograpy

Spokane seems pretty safe considering the usual suspects. But there are others to consider. And Mount St. Helens...

Old 05-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
http://www.crew.org/sites/default/fi...nario_2013.pdf

This is the 2013 update describing the scenario of a 9.0 magnitude Cascadia subduction zone earthquake composed by CREW (Cascadia Region Earthquake Workgroup). CREW is a non-profit coalition of business people, emergency managers, scientists, engineers, civic leaders, and government officials who are working together to reduce the effects of earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area