Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 6,755 times

Advertisements

What in the world is going on? Bought a place right next to (less than a 1/4 mile) a good school and now I'm hearing that my kids may not be able to attend there. Is this true? What kind of crazy set up do they have around here? I get it, its an attempt to provide quality schools regardless of socioeconomic status, but if that means that you have to bus to another district when you live next to school, doesn't that seem crazy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 07:24 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
District 81?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM

231 posts, read 590,729 times
Sounds more like Mead school district, up on 5 mile prairie. I have heard that not all the kids can attend the school closest to them up on 5 mile due to overcrowding.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSpokane View Post
I get it, its an attempt to provide quality schools regardless of socioeconomic status, but if that means that you have to bus to another district when you live next to school, doesn't that seem crazy?

Actually you don't get it, but let me spell it out for you using your own words.

"its an attempt to provide quality schools regardless of socioeconomic status"

actually means;

"its an attempt to provide quality schools according to socioeconomic status"

It's ok, most of the schools around that area are good and as any teacher will tell you over and over and over again. The most important thing in student success is parental involvement.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 PM

What do you mean "according to" socioeconomic status? My point was that good schools are usually in good neighborhoods. Opening up schools to anyone in the district allows those not in a good neighborhood to take their kids to any school they like.

What is the point you are making?

Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
What do you mean "according to" socioeconomic status? My point was that good schools are usually in good neighborhoods. Opening up schools to anyone in the district allows those not in a good neighborhood to take their kids to any school they like.

What is the point you are making?
My point is just like you mentioned. Good schools usually are in good areas. The socioeconomic status comment means that the good people in good areas will still have "good" schools.

What school/district are you having problems with?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,056 times
I love that the school system is set up that way....
It means even though my husband and I are lower class, our highly intelligent child will still be able to attend a good school instead of wasting away in horrible schools based on his parents status.
love it.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM

I made a mistake making a rant where anonymous people can respond. Go about your lives citizens. Nothing to see here.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I made a mistake making a rant where anonymous people can respond. Go about your lives citizens. Nothing to see here.
You're a citizen too.

Your rant answered;

What in the world is going on? - Rhetorical question since you hopefully will tell us what is going on in your following statements.

Bought a place right next to (less than a 1/4 mile) a good school and now I'm hearing that my kids may not be able to attend there. Is this true? - Well, we have no idea if its true or not and from the sounds of your questions neither do you. well...is it true? You're children cannot attend the school closest to their residence?

What kind of crazy set up do they have around here? - Where's here? What school district? What school? When did you try to register your children? What did the school tell you about registration?

I get it, its an attempt to provide quality schools regardless of socioeconomic status, but if that means that you have to bus to another district when you live next to school, doesn't that seem crazy? - Crazy? Yes, it's crazy to bus kids away from a school closer to their residence. Is this what is actually happening? Why is it happening? What are the reasons that your children cannot attend the school?

Old 07-23-2015, 05:04 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Maybe the OP has entered a time warp and believes we are in Boston and it's 1974. If so, he/she has every right to be outraged.

But there's a silver lining, OP. Hang on until 2004 and the Sox will finally win one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area