Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:59 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not sure if you were among the lynch mob chronically badgering me in earlier threads. At the time, inflameatory slurs regurtitated from trolls apparently threatened by my presence were common. “Where do you live?” was the m.o. at the time, which has since devolved to, “Why don’t you go live somewhere else if you don’t love it here?” Both sentiments are decidedly fascist and un-American.
Dear jem22,

You appear to be under a small misunderstanding on how city-data.com is designed to work and I am here to help! It sounds like you have had a rough go of it here on the forums and perhaps the following information will improve your experience.

On city-data.com, inquiring about one's location history is a valid line of questioning, considering you are volunteering your opinion on location-specific information. Where you lived, for how long, and during what time period are all helpful in framing your anecdotal experiences for the evaluation of potential relocatees. Crime, schools, demographics, state of the economy, and the prevalent cultural atmosphere is different in a given place during the 1970s, during the early 2000s, and last year. Neighborhoods can gentrify and decay. Businesses grow, change, and unfortunately sometimes fold and go under. Your valuable experiences would be better utilized with proper time references. While I can understand your confusion regarding this issue, I am not sure how nationality (specifically American in this case) is a factor.

While the questions regarding your possible departure away from the Inland Northwest are not very useful to most city-data.com users, it does seem puzzling that someone of your intellect and experience could be so unfortunately be trapped in hell on earth with no way of escape. Such a predicament naturally inspires curiosity from many plebeian users on this local forum who could learn a thing or two from the ostensibly catastrophic mistakes made by even the wisest among us. I am confident their inquiries are to help you with your current situation and not as a personal attack.

Please report any and all inflammatory remarks to the proper authorities! Such "chronic badgering" is clearly a violation of the city-data.com forums' Terms of Service and you should have users who insult you or form a "lynch mob" reported immediately. Such behavior is unhelpful and unacceptable.

Lastly, I noticed several spelling and grammatical errors in your posts here. You may find a spell checking software to be useful in correcting this errors and clearly expressing your sage counsel. Many internet browsers, including Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox have such software pre-installed.

Sincerely, your concerned acquaintance,
- ShadoAngel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 11:59 PM

206 posts, read 333,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
....is all that's going on here is real estate sales? Love of eastern Warshington - don't dare put it down, or what?
If my personal experience is any indicator, you’ll find response from Spokane-area profiteers (realtors, business owners, chamber of commerce, visitor’s bureau, etc.) wishing to economically benefit via internet forums commensurate with perceived threat of the poster. As profiteers, their income (and status?) rises in proportion to the number of families they’re able to attract to their respective markets, which in this case are Spokane and Stevens County. Individuals who point out the malignant underbelly of a region riddled with corruption, nepotism, and crime (in high and low places), or who paint a less-than-rosy picture of the area put a dent in their bottom $line.

The, “if you don’t love it here or get out” mentality runs entirely counter to free-thought and democratic principles, and in this context, appears indicative of a privileged class who’d rather deny and/or run away from societal ills than acknowledge their existence.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:58 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I'm gonna keep my personal opinions and thoughts about eastern Warshington to myself regarding this phenomenon you're referring to, jem22. I am in the middle of the U.S. now, and, sadly, my birth state of Warshington has been sort of overrun by money-grubbers and plain old numbers of people living in it. Warshington still retains its beauty and charm in many, many parts of it.

As my plane landed about a year ago at Sea-Tac, I saw all of the large mountains, starting in Oregon with Mt.Hood, and culminating with Mt.Rainier, somewhere around mid-Warshington, in the glorious Cascade Range. Beautiful from up in the jet it was! It was so green with trees and so pretty with snow-covered mountains!

But the western side is too crowded, and too over-run with money-grubbing real estate people. It has always had that sort of "feel" to it, so, that is how it is. One can still live there, it's just that they're living there with a big price ta pay. If that's what they want, that's what they'll get. I am not going to judge anyone that wants to live on either side of Warshington. Period.

But the “if you don’t love it here or get out” mentality you're describing here, jem22, is it entirely based on responses you've gotten in this city-data thread alone? Or from a range of Warshington city-data threads? To be honest, I have noticed that type of response on here before, and, the western side of the state seems kind of ripe with that line of thinking as well.

Continue ta throw grapes at each other, people, if that's what turns you on. I'm not gonna leave off watching this thread, I just don't understand the "angst" going on here.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 AM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
I am one of those who couldn't wait to get out of the Seattle area after living there for almost 5 years. I got tired of the traffic, the cloudy skies, the crowds, the commute....I could go on and on.....

Even after only living here for 3 months, I really enjoy Spokane. Can't wait for the other seasons to enjoy it even more!

Old 12-12-2015, 01:19 PM

Even after only living here for 3 months, I really enjoy Spokane. Can't wait for the other seasons to enjoy it even more!

Good for you, Boxkicker! I love happiness stories!

Old 12-12-2015, 05:24 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
But the “if you don’t love it here or get out” mentality you're describing here, jem22, is it entirely based on responses you've gotten in this city-data thread alone? Or from a range of Warshington city-data threads? To be honest, I have noticed that type of response on here before, and, the western side of the state seems kind of ripe with that line of thinking as well.
I've seen the "if you don't like here, why don't you leave?" line all over city-data and in real life. A quick look around to many of the city-data subforums will show you there are tons of twitchy homers ready to defend their hometown against all haters. Nobody that likes where they live wants to hear someone else (*especially* someone who moved there from somewhere else) complain about the things they don't like in that area. Jem's hardly martyr in this regard as he frequently claims with hyperbolic terms like 'fascist', 'unamerican', 'lynch mob', etc. I was born and raised in Texas. And if I ever mention wanting to live somewhere else, out loud, to other Texans... that's practically inviting a beating, haha. Hardly compares to the trifle disagreements that I've seen on this board.

The truth of the matter is that jem (apparently) hates the Inland Northwest and uses city-data to vent his personal frustration and then falsely accuses anyone who likes the area as having an ulterior profit-motive because in his mind, that's the only reason you could possibly say nice things about the area - because you're lying in order to gain money. And I can understand why someone wouldn't like it in Eastern Washington/North Idaho. There's definitely a specific feel and culture to the region and it is certainly lacking in many qualities found in other parts of the country. I think it also possesses certain qualities not found in other parts of the country as well. It is not a good fit for everyone, but there are many people for whom the region *is* a good fit.

I alternate between ignoring a couple of the more trollish users here and taking time of out of my day to needle them a little (or throwing grapes, as you say) merely to point out the absurdity of some of their arguments. Whatever personal satisfaction I get out of it is secondary, the primary function is for other users to see multiple opinions about a topic when they are searching for it, rather than ridiculous conspiracy theories. At the end of the day they can say I (or anyone else who has positive things to say about the Inland Northwest) am a Spokane real estate agent boosting the region to help my pocketbook - but they can't prove it anymore than I can prove that they are overly-angsty teenagers posting out of their parents' basement.

And hey, winter time is slow for the moving season, especially to far northern climates like Spokane so there isn't a lot else going on here for entertainment.

ps. I love the 'r' in Washington. Exactly how my Grandma always said it!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I've seen the "if you don't like here, why don't you leave?" line all over city-data and in real life. A quick look around to many of the city-data subforums will show you there are tons of twitchy homers ready to defend their hometown against all haters. Nobody that likes where they live wants to hear someone else (*especially* someone who moved there from somewhere else) complain about the things they don't like in that area. Jem's hardly martyr in this regard as he frequently claims with hyperbolic terms like 'fascist', 'unamerican', 'lynch mob', etc. I was born and raised in Texas. And if I ever mention wanting to live somewhere else, out loud, to other Texans... that's practically inviting a beating, haha. Hardly compares to the trifle disagreements that I've seen on this board.

The truth of the matter is that jem (apparently) hates the Inland Northwest and uses city-data to vent his personal frustration and then falsely accuses anyone who likes the area as having an ulterior profit-motive because in his mind, that's the only reason you could possibly say nice things about the area - because you're lying in order to gain money. And I can understand why someone wouldn't like it in Eastern Washington/North Idaho. There's definitely a specific feel and culture to the region and it is certainly lacking in many qualities found in other parts of the country. I think it also possesses certain qualities not found in other parts of the country as well. It is not a good fit for everyone, but there are many people for whom the region *is* a good fit.

I alternate between ignoring a couple of the more trollish users here and taking time of out of my day to needle them a little (or throwing grapes, as you say) merely to point out the absurdity of some of their arguments. Whatever personal satisfaction I get out of it is secondary, the primary function is for other users to see multiple opinions about a topic when they are searching for it, rather than ridiculous conspiracy theories. At the end of the day they can say I (or anyone else who has positive things to say about the Inland Northwest) am a Spokane real estate agent boosting the region to help my pocketbook - but they can't prove it anymore than I can prove that they are overly-angsty teenagers posting out of their parents' basement.

And hey, winter time is slow for the moving season, especially to far northern climates like Spokane so there isn't a lot else going on here for entertainment.

Very well said.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:48 AM

Yeah, ShadoAngel, I like that you like that Warshington thing. I first noticed that back in the 1980's at The Boeing Company. These two guys (one my Manager at one point in my career there) would say Warshington, and it rolled off their tongue like nobody's business!

I am/was such a brat, I'd say "Say Washington again!"

"Warshington!"

"Do you realize you're saying Warshington? Where do you get the 'r'?"

I'll never forget the looks they gave me back! They'd look back at me with smiles on their faces, intrigued that I was calling them on it. Interestingly, both men were from Wichita, KS, and, as you may know, Boeing has a military aerospace factory there, or did at that time. It's weird that I'm now about 150 miles west of Wichita, and, I hear the locals here in Dodge City, KS, pronounce Washington 'Warshington'! Hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area