Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 PM

328 posts, read 473,548 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I recently posted on the Seattle forums about my intentions to move to this beautiful state at some point next year, and after seeing the replies, many recommended me to look at Spokane, so I did

I have been eyeing options, and the prices seem reasonable, seen some pics, and the city looks nice, and somehow peaceful (compared to miami, fl where I currently live)

However, I have some questions, as I have never been in person at your city (or surroundings)

- How pricey is to live here? (I know rents can go as cheap as $550 to expensive, over $1k) but when it comes to groceries, gas, power, gas, tolls, water, dining out, movies, etc...

- How is the people in traffic? (here, they are rude, they give you hand gestures, honk at you if you take an extra second at the traffic light, cut you off, dont use turning signal, run stops... its pretty rough)

- How is the people in general? friendly? cold?

- What are the recommendable neighborhoods? (I've seen properties online at Thorpe Westwood, Airway Heights, Outer Five Mile, Spokane Valley, Bemiss, West Spokane, Lincoln Heights, and Hillyard) but I cant get a feel based on websites alone, so I come to ask you as you are locals

- General question, can anybody with renting experience please tell me how long it takes from application to move in when you rent? I have no clue, as I have never rented before

- Also, for those into this, are there any comic conventions held at the city? the only one I know in WA is in Seattle

I apologize if i'm asking a lot, but I really want to make sure I can get a feel before I take any decisions. I do plan on visiting at some point this year, but I better know what to expect

Thanks in advace ^_^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:21 AM

Can I edit this? I think it may be a bit TLR, so maybe I could make it more reader friendly? ^^; somehow?

Old 01-26-2016, 07:22 AM

Tl : Dr my bad xD

Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
- How pricey is to live here? (I know rents can go as cheap as $550 to expensive, over $1k) but when it comes to groceries, gas, power, gas, tolls, water, dining out, movies, etc... - There are no tolls. Washington state has a very high minimum wage. You'll see that reflected in the prices at restaurants. Especially if you eat at a chain somewhere else, and then come here to eat. Entree's are a good buck or more than where you currently live. We have a Winco, Costco, and Wal Marts for grocery shopping on a budget. Rent is middling, and of course this really depends on your income.

- How is the people in traffic? (here, they are rude, they give you hand gestures, honk at you if you take an extra second at the traffic light, cut you off, dont use turning signal, run stops... its pretty rough) - We're limited with north south options, the freeway system is not quite big enough. Often times its faster on surface roads. I've lived in a variety of places in this country. Spokane is smack dab in the middle. Some dumb drivers, some *******s (mostly in trucks), lots of people who pay attention. We have rough winters, poor city planning so the spring pothole discovery is like a fun macabre game. Trying to find the largest, deepest, scariest pothole is sport for Spokanites.

- How is the people in general? friendly? cold? - Not overly friendly like some places in the south. Not cold, standoffish and assholish like a lot of the eat coast and northeast. Not quite as frosty as the Seattle area, and not as chill as being in SoCal. Good in between, most people are nice...some are not. Depends a lot on how you approach people. Standoff-ish and leary? No friends. Open and gregarious? Lots of friends.

- What are the recommendable neighborhoods? (I've seen properties online at Thorpe Westwood, Airway Heights, Outer Five Mile, Spokane Valley, Bemiss, West Spokane, Lincoln Heights, and Hillyard) but I cant get a feel based on websites alone, so I come to ask you as you are locals - We need to know your rent range, income, family size, where you will work. I think knowing more about you helps tremendously on neighborhood selection. there's a large variety here in Spokane lots of good places and some bad places and lot in between. Depends entirely on you, and your wants and needs...and more importantly the resources you have.

- General question, can anybody with renting experience please tell me how long it takes from application to move in when you rent? I have no clue, as I have never rented before - When we rented, it was a house through a real estate agency, and the process took about 2 weeks for the entire process. We could not move in until the house was ready but that was only a week or so after the application was approved. Depends on how many rentals are available and of course your credit score and income, but most apartments are pretty quick around here.

- Also, for those into this, are there any comic conventions held at the city? the only one I know in WA is in Seattle - We have a very large and well attended Comicon here. There are a couple of places in town that run game nights a few nights a week. One place brings in pizza for the players. Good scene here for people so inclined.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
- How pricey is to live here? (I know rents can go as cheap as $550 to expensive, over $1k) but when it comes to groceries, gas, power, gas, tolls, water, dining out, movies, etc... - There are no tolls. Washington state has a very high minimum wage. You'll see that reflected in the prices at restaurants. Especially if you eat at a chain somewhere else, and then come here to eat. Entree's are a good buck or more than where you currently live. We have a Winco, Costco, and Wal Marts for grocery shopping on a budget. Rent is middling, and of course this really depends on your income.

- How is the people in traffic? (here, they are rude, they give you hand gestures, honk at you if you take an extra second at the traffic light, cut you off, dont use turning signal, run stops... its pretty rough) - We're limited with north south options, the freeway system is not quite big enough. Often times its faster on surface roads. I've lived in a variety of places in this country. Spokane is smack dab in the middle. Some dumb drivers, some *******s (mostly in trucks), lots of people who pay attention. We have rough winters, poor city planning so the spring pothole discovery is like a fun macabre game. Trying to find the largest, deepest, scariest pothole is sport for Spokanites.

- How is the people in general? friendly? cold? - Not overly friendly like some places in the south. Not cold, standoffish and assholish like a lot of the eat coast and northeast. Not quite as frosty as the Seattle area, and not as chill as being in SoCal. Good in between, most people are nice...some are not. Depends a lot on how you approach people. Standoff-ish and leary? No friends. Open and gregarious? Lots of friends.

- What are the recommendable neighborhoods? (I've seen properties online at Thorpe Westwood, Airway Heights, Outer Five Mile, Spokane Valley, Bemiss, West Spokane, Lincoln Heights, and Hillyard) but I cant get a feel based on websites alone, so I come to ask you as you are locals - We need to know your rent range, income, family size, where you will work. I think knowing more about you helps tremendously on neighborhood selection. there's a large variety here in Spokane lots of good places and some bad places and lot in between. Depends entirely on you, and your wants and needs...and more importantly the resources you have.

- General question, can anybody with renting experience please tell me how long it takes from application to move in when you rent? I have no clue, as I have never rented before - When we rented, it was a house through a real estate agency, and the process took about 2 weeks for the entire process. We could not move in until the house was ready but that was only a week or so after the application was approved. Depends on how many rentals are available and of course your credit score and income, but most apartments are pretty quick around here.

- Also, for those into this, are there any comic conventions held at the city? the only one I know in WA is in Seattle - We have a very large and well attended Comicon here. There are a couple of places in town that run game nights a few nights a week. One place brings in pizza for the players. Good scene here for people so inclined.
Traffic, Thank You so much for taking the time to answer my super long questions

I'm hoping to get a promotion at my job thru the year that will place me around $33k/yr, then transferring. I work at a bank that has branches over there, so I have to follow the process

I've seen ppl down here make crazy things. For example, we have express lanes (Like Seattle) except that they put flexible plastic poles to limit them... I've seen countless drivers go in and out of the lanes like if the poles never existed Also ppl speeding in the shoulder... crazy O_O

I'm pretty talkative and outgoing for the most part, so I hope that helps with getting along with you the locals xD

My ideal rent would go from 550 - 800/ month

I've seen some places like whimsical pig (E. Mission Avenue, Spokane Valley), heritage heights (Bemiss), lindell court (S Assembly Road), copper landing (airway heights) which are in my range, but I really am clueless about the neighborhoods

My fear is to get the job and then have nowhere to land because of a lenghty application, etc process... that really makes me nervous, as I dont want to have to live in a hotel 2-3 months or something crazy (clear no rentals before experience xD )

That's pretty awesome, I love conventions and events like that... I was just thinking emerald in Seattle, and grudging the 5-6 hour drive @_@

Old 01-26-2016, 02:04 PM

oops, forgot to mention that im the only one moving xD

Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Yeah, if its just you then it will be smooth. Many places that rent have online application processes and you can tell them your move in date and you'll be fine.

Whimsical Pig - Valley, I don't get out there much. That area seems OK to me. Very convenient location.
Heritage Heights - This is Hillyard where I grew up. It's come a long way, but I'd steer clear of this area if possible.
Lindell Court - West Plains really, near where I work another convenient location.
Copper Landing - Airway Heights is growing by leaps and bounds. Convenient, but I'd try to get more into Spokane.

Check some of the northside apartments as well, again depending on where you likely work location will be.

Really there are a lot of options and here, I'd pick the one closest to where I'd likely be working. You won't have too long of a commute either way. But, what else are you into? Outdoors? If you're into gaming or that type of scene I guess you'd want to be closer to the downtown area, perhaps.

Yeah, Emerald is obviously bigger than the Spokane Con, and I certainly would not discount attending it. Travelling to Seattle from Spokane for a mini vacation is one of the more fun things to do. Plus, I assume you know someone there where you can crash for a few days so that's a bonus right there. I worked at FAFB as a contractor for the AF and there was a kid who saved up money and leave (he was active duty) and made the trip to Seattle for a big gaming convention (like Xbox and that stuff). He was bummed one year cause he had to deploy overseas. Not worried about the deployment (single dude) but pissed he was missing the convention.

$33K per year is doable in Spokane. It's not a lot but you can make a rent payment and hopefully you have reliable transportation.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM

Which areas are good in the north side?

Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 36,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Yeah, if its just you then it will be smooth. Many places that rent have online application processes and you can tell them your move in date and you'll be fine.

$33K per year is doable in Spokane. It's not a lot but you can make a rent payment and hopefully you have reliable transportation.
You think 40k be ok for a family of 3?

Cencus say that average family income is 45ish thousand a year. Im not sure how accurate that is, and how the living conditions is for that amount of pay. Can you afford a home with that income.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by articworks View Post
You think 40k be ok for a family of 3?

Cencus say that average family income is 45ish thousand a year. Im not sure how accurate that is, and how the living conditions is for that amount of pay. Can you afford a home with that income.

We owned a home and I was earning 35K per year for a family of four so it is doable. I did purchase the home with a VA loan, so no money down.

I assume your family of three includes a school aged kid? With that income you'll get free school breakfast and lunch, which saves quite a bit of money. Numerous schools during the summer also offer free lunch to kids 18 and younger. My kids, when we lived closer to a middle school that did this, went to lunch at the school everyday during the week.

If you can be frugal $40K is enough, but I'm not well versed in Real Estate transactions to know if you can own a home with that kind of income but there are decent places around town in good school areas to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area