Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 9,305 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Do any neighborhoods in Spokane have trends towards renovating the older craftsman/bungalow/4 point homes? Here in Austin these style homes were bought up a decade ago on the East side...But Spokane seems to be abundant in them. I cant really call it gentrification, because, well, it's Spokane..

Maybe in 20 years the hipsters will discover Spokane?

Please enlighten an outsider looking in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
My impression, after visiting twice to recon the area prior to relocating there, is that South Hill and Indian Trail areas are as you describe.

Someone should be along shortly to confirm, or dispute my impression, and add to it as they see fit.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:25 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Audubon Park-Downriver, Corbin Park, South Hill, Perry District, Millwood -- are some of the neighborhoods where you'll find better maintained older craftsman style homes. You'll actually find lots of these types of homes all over Spokane but not all have been kept up or restored. With the renovation costs, it's hard to justify putting a lot of money into something when the rest of the neighborhood is icky. I keep hoping that with the new Kendall Yards development, some of that money will spill into the West Central neighborhoods that need an upgrade.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Just saw this in today's paper - speaking of renovating old homes...Old House workshop to reveal preservation techniques | The Spokesman-Review

Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFutureWA View Post
Maybe in 20 years the hipsters will discover Spokane?
God, I hope not. They can ruin Seattle and Portland all they want, just leave Spokane alone and "uncool".

Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
God, I hope not. They can ruin Seattle and Portland all they want, just leave Spokane alone and "uncool".
I will second that!

Old 02-10-2016, 10:18 PM

43 posts, read 50,766 times
I'm with PS90 & AK76.....I do not want a cool and funky Spokane, I had enough of that crap from the 70s and 80s. Time to get the funkadelic bug spray out!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
We looked and looked at old Craftsmans...even had a contract on one and it failed inspection. I love the idea of them but when it came right down to it, the smaller windows, darker interiors, more chopped up floor plans of many, the idea of putting storm windows on and off in fall and spring, and the ancillary problems of old houses eventually decided us against them. So we ended up with a light and airy house with soaring ceilings in a wonderful south hill neighborhood with beautiful old houses all around.

One thing I recommend strongly when offering on an old house: a sewer cam as part of the inspection.
We saved ourselves a really huge problem by doing one.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We looked and looked at old Craftsmans...even had a contract on one and it failed inspection. I love the idea of them but when it came right down to it, the smaller windows, darker interiors, more chopped up floor plans of many, the idea of putting storm windows on and off in fall and spring, and the ancillary problems of old houses eventually decided us against them. So we ended up with a light and airy house with soaring ceilings in a wonderful south hill neighborhood with beautiful old houses all around.

One thing I recommend strongly when offering on an old house: a sewer cam as part of the inspection.
We saved ourselves a really huge problem by doing one.

Yep, people forget that the home owner is responsible for the sewer pipe from the house all the way to the street. My sister found out to the tune of $15K recently.

I think the old house thing being romanticized is weird. Drafty, poorly laid out, too much upkeep, often in undesirable areas, etc., sounds like a recipe for disaster. Especially for households with two working people in them.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:51 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Yep, people forget that the home owner is responsible for the sewer pipe from the house all the way to the street. My sister found out to the tune of $15K recently.

I think the old house thing being romanticized is weird. Drafty, poorly laid out, too much upkeep, often in undesirable areas, etc., sounds like a recipe for disaster. Especially for households with two working people in them.
Another thing that deterred us from an old house was the radiant heating. Not so easy to add AC when the heat is from radiators and after last summer, being able to add central AC was a must for my husband. First thing we did in the new house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area