Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
In all honesty, there was a news item on a Seattle TV channel (KIRO?...not sure) about civilian employees whose sole job is to deal with the fumes that spontaneously erupt from the ground where nuclear waste was buried. Even in his protective gear, one employee was exposed to a burst, & has been sick, off work & nebulizer-dependent ever since. Earlier this year, I drove around the Hanford area as I was returning home from a trip. I grew up in a desolate area, but that looks like Paradise compared to Hanford.
I certainly don't dismiss the recent problems. However, to the best of my knowledge, they are centralized within the Hanford infrastructure. That being said, they definitely need to correct this ASAP.

The idea that Hanford is dangerous to those beyond this centralized area is false. There are many who monitor the environment around Hanford, (as required by law), and the danger is zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 02:13 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
In all honesty, there was a news item on a Seattle TV channel (KIRO?...not sure) about civilian employees whose sole job is to deal with the fumes that spontaneously erupt from the ground where nuclear waste was buried. Even in his protective gear, one employee was exposed to a burst, & has been sick, off work & nebulizer-dependent ever since. Earlier this year, I drove around the Hanford area as I was returning home from a trip. I grew up in a desolate area, but that looks like Paradise compared to Hanford.
I'm not saying that this isn't true, but it seems like the Seattle news stations love to demonize Hanford at every chance they can get. Not sure why. Maybe they're jealous that Tri-Cities citizens get to see the sun more than twice a year?

Old 07-18-2016, 02:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I'm not saying that this isn't true, but it seems like the Seattle news stations love to demonize Hanford at every chance they can get. Not sure why. Maybe they're jealous that Tri-Cities citizens get to see the sun more than twice a year?
Are you certain it's always the sun?

Old 07-18-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Seattle and even moreso, Portland. They are downriver while Seattle is not.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
growing up in Richland in the 50s-60s the kids were MUCH more impacted by lack of fluoride in the water than any effects from radiation.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM

Liberal Seattle and Portland love to portray Hanford as an ugly, polluting cesspool of a radioactive mess. However, the truth is just the opposite. This area has been in a clean-up mode for more than three decades. And they are making great progress.

Tri-Cities is now one of the fastest growing metros in the US, and the real estate market is among the hottest in the country.

Buy property here and look for 10-20% increases within 2 years.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Liberal Seattle and Portland love to portray Hanford as an ugly, polluting cesspool of a radioactive mess. However, the truth is just the opposite. This area has been in a clean-up mode for more than three decades. And they are making great progress.

Tri-Cities is now one of the fastest growing metros in the US, and the real estate market is among the hottest in the country.

Buy property here and look for 10-20% increases within 2 years.
I hope you're right...wife and I bought a house in Tri Cities last week. We decided that the area had the best climate in the state, was about the cheapest real estate for what you get in the state, was developed enough to be livable, and is only 3.5 hours to our grandkids in Seattle. Once I finish working overseas, we have a nice house to move into.

We looked at many locations and considered the potential risk of Hanford but concluded it was extremely remote which is why we decided to buy in Tri Cities.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 PM

328 posts, read 473,324 times
Is hanford a supersite or however they call those?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsard View Post
Is hanford a supersite or however they call those?
Superfund site. And there's a bunch of 'em. The EPA is all over this state.

https://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/cleanup...+cleanup+sites

Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I hope you're right...wife and I bought a house in Tri Cities last week. We decided that the area had the best climate in the state, was about the cheapest real estate for what you get in the state, was developed enough to be livable, and is only 3.5 hours to our grandkids in Seattle. Once I finish working overseas, we have a nice house to move into.

We looked at many locations and considered the potential risk of Hanford but concluded it was extremely remote which is why we decided to buy in Tri Cities.
Congrats. I think you made a wise move. This area is exploding, and values will continue upward. The economy is based on Hanford repair, which should last for decades, and an influx from Seattle and Portland looking for lower real estate prices. For those who buy now, they will get in with prices that are going nowhere but up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area