Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 AM

54 posts, read 75,236 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of relocating to Spokane area or Post Falls Idaho area. We are 6 months from making the move. I am exhausted with comparing the two area's. We have visited the area and both are beautiful. I am concerned over the high crime in the Spokane area. I would so appreciate it if someone or many people from that area would tell me about the quality of life and why one area would be preferred over the other.

I need the truth. So many articles are written by people that stand to make money by painting a pretty picture. Moving across the country is a big expensive undertaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:27 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Like anywhere else, good and bad.

Washington State has some of the most lax punishments for property crime in the nation. So yeah, auto-theft, shoplifting, burglary and similar crimes are pretty high in WA.

Spokane, like a lot of other cities, has quiet a significant druggy/vagrant/homeless population......tweak is popular in this city.

I came out of a grocery store today, at about 9am and was walking to my car. I noticed a young man, scraggly and disheveled, most likely homeless, walking around in broad daylight, carefully peering into cars, with what appeared to be burglary-tools in his hands.....pretty obvious that he was looking to boost something out of a car. And this is in a parking-lot with people around, during the daytime.

There is nice things about Spokane.......the weather and cost of living are to my liking. But overall, I would say this city is dumpy, trashy and has a lot of petty criminals.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:20 AM

206 posts, read 333,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickforWV View Post
I need the truth. So many articles are written by people that stand to make money by painting a pretty picture. Moving across the country is a big expensive undertaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your candid question!

These are the FACTS:

Spokane's crime rate is "higher for both violent and property crime than in 98% of communities in the U.S", per Neighborhood Scout and City Data:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

If you're on Facebook, check out Spokane News for real time reports on our chronic crime problem.

Statistics are hard to ignore (unless you're trying to $ell the area). I've personally been the victim of two property crimes involving vehicles....and I didn't even live in Spokane at the time, just visiting. The first vehicle was completely totaled and the second never ran the same after.

There are some revitalization efforts in play but Spokane is very much a work in progress. If you don't want to be part of the experiment then Post Falls may be your safer bet. If you're retired and seeking a sunnier climate and lower cost of living, look into the Tri-Cities area. Spokane winters are pretty gloomy and N. Idaho's even worse. Spokane is 70% gray, dark and gloomy in Winter.

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2016 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 AM

54 posts, read 75,236 times
Thank you for the responses. It truly helps!

Hope to get more on responses on Idaho.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 PM

206 posts, read 333,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickforWV View Post
Thank you for the responses. It truly helps!
Hope to get more on responses on Idaho.
You're quite welcome, HomesickforWV! Be on guard for $profiteers (realtors, property managers, developers, etc) attempting to pose as legitimate members on the Idaho boards as well. They're pretty easy to spot despite their best efforts to appear "fair and balanced." They become hostile, launch personal attacks, build straw men, and gang up on individuals whose candid commentary threatens their bottom line.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 AM

486 posts, read 842,596 times
I have been here a year after moving from the Seattle area.

I reside in the eastern part of Spokane County and work in downtown Spokane.

I haven't seen any crime nor been a victim of such (unlike my 5 years in Seattle). In my opinion, if you are smart about your belongings and don't have things out in the open, you won't set yourself up to be a victim.

I feel safe here, and don't worry about the crime in my day to day life. I take the precautions I need and go on about my day.

I have enjoyed my year here and visit other places just to get the reasons why!

Also....be wary of those who dislike the Spokane area and make it known to the extreme....even posting nothing for 9 months and then suddenly hitting multiple threads with nothing but negativity towards Spokane.

Last edited by Boxkicker; 08-27-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Be on guard for $profiteers (realtors, property managers, developers, etc) attempting to pose as legitimate members on the Idaho boards as well. They're pretty easy to spot despite their best efforts to appear "fair and balanced." They become hostile, launch personal attacks, build straw men, and gang up on individuals whose candid commentary threatens their bottom line.

Best of luck to you!
Well obviously, you can never believe any positive posts are written about Spokane, because there is an underlying agenda based on some Realtor conspiracy; but all negative posts should be believed without reservation, since then they can only be written by fair, honest, unbiased people who only care about the welfare of others and World Peace.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well obviously, you can never believe any positive posts are written about Spokane, because there is an underlying agenda based on some Realtor conspiracy; but all negative posts should be believed without reservation, since then they can only be written by fair, honest, unbiased people who only care about the welfare of others and World Peace.
Thank you for describing me so accurately.

Let's all join hands, shall we?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPN3Fv2aJhE

Old 08-28-2016, 10:03 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
That Alvin picture sorta really gets ya in the mood, don't it?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM

596 posts, read 428,529 times
Jem's back!

Quick everyone, quit shilling for realtor companies. And what's this! Now she's outed the rest of you too? So many property managers and developers cruising the ol' Spokane CD forums.

You huckster have got a lot of nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area