Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times

Advertisements

Is there a Safeway nearby? Just asking, because as most know, they are basically the same company now.

However, Albertsons still seems to have lower prices, but doesn't offer a savings card. Albertsons does offer a gas card, though it seems to me that Safeway has more gas locations, perhaps to use at Safeways more than Albertsons. Perhaps a company goal to get more Albertson users to go to higher-end Sateway? Just a thought, nothing more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Is there a Safeway nearby? Just asking, because as most know, they are basically the same company now.

However, Albertsons still seems to have lower prices, but doesn't offer a savings card. Albertsons does offer a gas card, though it seems to me that Safeway has more gas locations, perhaps to use at Safeways more than Albertsons. Perhaps a company goal to get more Albertson users to go to higher-end Sateway? Just a thought, nothing more...
Personally, I prefer the Rosauer's on 29th. Safeway (across the street) is dark and gloomy, and Albertsons has always struck me as cult-like. The few times I've gone there, I felt like the only stranger in a tight-knit little western village. It was like the Body Snatchers. I kept waiting for one of the pod people to point me out and chase me out the door...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
" I felt like the only stranger in a tight-knit little western village. It was like the Body Snatchers. I kept waiting for one of the pod people to point me out and chase me out the door..."

I love your posts, Yeledaf!

Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
" I felt like the only stranger in a tight-knit little western village. It was like the Body Snatchers. I kept waiting for one of the pod people to point me out and chase me out the door..."

I love your posts, Yeledaf!
Well, I'm holed up here with about a yard of snow piled up all around my house, and during the night the city snowplows will berm in my driveway, effectively cutting me off from the outside world. Not much else to do but pull up a nail-keg close to the potbellied stove and tap out messages on C-D. Sure hope that load of supplies gets in on the mornin' dogsled. Otherwise, I'll have to make do with stale Cornflakes, Campbell's cream of quinoa soup, and a leftover holiday fruitcake.

Winter in Spokane builds character. And fosters eccentric behavior.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:55 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
i usually shop at Rosauer's and SuperOne on 29th. The Safeway is really bad. I've finally given up. They can always be relied upon to be surly, have only one line open with long lines and they just seem to be generally screwed up.
The Albertson's is in my daughter's neighborhood and the employees all seem to know the customers and their kids. They walk to the store and they do special things for the kids on Halloween. I don't usually shop at Albertsons but the community is sad that it's closing.

Getting a little tired of the snow. Was supposed to drive to Sandpoint tomorrow but the forecast is calling for more and blowing snow. Our house is on a hill which seems little till you deal with the bending, steep driveway in the winter. My husbands dream is to jackhammer the thing up and replace with a heated driveway like our neighbor has. Except: cha-ching.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
i usually shop at Rosauer's and SuperOne on 29th. The Safeway is really bad. I've finally given up. They can always be relied upon to be surly, have only one line open with long lines and they just seem to be generally screwed up.
The Albertson's is in my daughter's neighborhood and the employees all seem to know the customers and their kids. They walk to the store and they do special things for the kids on Halloween. I don't usually shop at Albertsons but the community is sad that it's closing.

Getting a little tired of the snow. Was supposed to drive to Sandpoint tomorrow but the forecast is calling for more and blowing snow. Our house is on a hill which seems little till you deal with the bending, steep driveway in the winter. My husbands dream is to jackhammer the thing up and replace with a heated driveway like our neighbor has. Except: cha-ching.
Loved the news story today about the Californian who tried to rob a store because he needed bus fare to get out of Spokane and away from the snow...

Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM

162 posts, read 204,387 times
I'm still pretty happy with all the snow! I have not seen this much snow in my life! The kids made an igloo in the back yard and with the amount of snow we are getting almost every other day, I think we can make a whole village.

It's funny how everyone I talked to when I came in for my interview last February was telling me how you don't have a lot of snow, but if it snows it would stay for a while because the temperatures would be around 32 in the winter. No one mentioned frigid winter (other than Yaledaf lol) to me. But as I said in the summer, we are embracing the cold, having fun in the snow, the kids are learning to help our elderly neighbors by shoveling their driveways; life is good (minus my achy tailbone which I injured by falling on my butt while hauling away the trash)

Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM

412 posts, read 385,899 times
Ah, the snow. I remember it from the 1940's. When we lived there, also, the radio station played Hank Williams. The very first country music I ever heard was on the radio in Spokane. We had farms. The last one was on Euclid near Otis Orchards. Across the road was the Spokane River. Amazing how little was necessary to keep kids amused. Spokane today is not anything like what we knew. But it is interesting to read the problems of today.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,729 times
Thanks for the info! We're relocating in June and have been looking for this kind of info

Old 01-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBell7984 View Post
Thanks for the info! We're relocating in June and have been looking for this kind of info
You'll enjoy this:

The Slice: Spokane transplants and the role of seasoning | The Spokesman-Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area