Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

Maybe this one?

In a nutshell, what is it about? You've got 30 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Maybe this one?

In a nutshell, what is it about? You've got 30 seconds.
Rain.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:14 PM

162 posts, read 204,273 times
Yaledaf, you make me laugh every time I see your posts!
This morning I was telling my husband about your love for the Spokane weather while he was scraping off the frost from my windshield. Later he got on his motorcycle and went to work it is what you make out of it. We've chosen to enjoy every second we get that is dry and sunny (look at this wonderful, bright day we are having today!), and joke about all the pep talk about the beautiful weather we got before deciding on moving here. Truth is that we wouldn't even notice the nice and sunny day we are having today in NJ - now we really appreciate it. And the colors are just so much more bright and vibrant!

We are not disappointed, surprised yes, but not bitter about moving here and we would make this decision again if we had to. And thanks to you, I was not cold this winter because I stocked up on wool socks and warm long johns lol

Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
Good thing my 21 year old stepdaughter can look at life thru different eyes while she goes they chemo to cure her Hodgkins Lymphoma. When you find out you have it the day before you turn 21, makes you realize the so called pits of Spokane weather really isn't worth complaining about! I guess when you see a pretty bald girl who lost her hair puts things in perspective. Every day you wake up is a beautiful day, no matter how bad you think the weather is! Some could learn that!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
Good thing my 21 year old stepdaughter can look at life thru different eyes while she goes they chemo to cure her Hodgkins Lymphoma. When you find out you have it the day before you turn 21, makes you realize the so called pits of Spokane weather really isn't worth complaining about! I guess when you see a pretty bald girl who lost her hair puts things in perspective. Every day you wake up is a beautiful day, no matter how bad you think the weather is! Some could learn that!

I hope she goes through this challenge quickly and comes out of it stronger! You are right about the perspective, I wish you lots of strength so you can support her.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post
I hope she goes through this challenge quickly and comes out of it stronger! You are right about the perspective, I wish you lots of strength so you can support her.
Here's another perspective: my wife has survived two bouts with cancer. If only for her sake, I wish the sun would shine occasionally instead of being trapped inside in the old, rain and gloom. Like today. And for most of the year, year after year, in Spokane.

Some should realize that other people have lives and stories too, and reflect and comment on the topic of the conversation instead of making personal criticisms of the posters with whom they disagree...

Last edited by Yeledaf; 04-20-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Here's another perspective: my wife has survived two bouts with cancer. If only for her sake, I wish the sun would shine occasionally instead of being trapped inside in the old, rain and gloom. Like today. And for most of the year, year after year, in Spokane.

Some should realize that other people have lives and stories too, and reflect and comment on the topic of the conversation instead of making personal criticisms of the posters with whom they disagree...

You're right, man. I am sad that you're depressed. Wanna move to Missouri? Lots of sun available over here. Sky's the limit.

What you say is true. Like the theme of 'To Kill a Mockingbird': No one can judge a man until they try walking in their shoes.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Agree, everyone has a story we know nothing about.

Personally, I don't take your comments as being depressed, I laugh at them, but that's just me - others may be think that you are a little bit too negative. I used to hate the extremes in temperature changes in NJ - snow one day, the next we have 50 degrees, then jumping right to summer...and the only time when you can actually enjoy the weather without sweating, May-June, we could not hike without being covered in ticks (I don't exaggerate, Southern Jersey woods were literally infested by ticks).
After this move I intentionally chose to focus on the good sides of the place - I cannot change weather, so I learn to enjoy it and still be active.
I have not lived on the Western side, so I cannot compare both, sorry for chiming in on the OP question - I don't have the expertise to answer it truthfully.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

You're right, man. I am sad that you're depressed. Wanna move to Missouri? Lots of sun available over here. Sky's the limit.

What you say is true. Like the theme of 'To Kill a Mockingbird': No one can judge a man until they try walking in their shoes.
Actually, my wife and I will be in Missouri in June, in Branson. My old Vietnam buddies (D Co, 1/28th Infantry, First Infantry Division) get together for a reunion every few years. Several guys live in Missouri, so we all gather in Branson. As the years have passed, and our wives have started accompanying us, we no longer spend much time on war stories and distressing memories. Now it's more relaxed, and such a relief to be away from the gloom and cynicism of the Pacific Northwest.

Case in point: when I first started going to the Branson reunions, my NW friends would roll their eyes and make cutting remarks about what a square and corny place Missouri is to visit. A red state! How disgusting! These are the same people, mind you, who profess their deep empathy for humanity, and the necessity of embracing diversity. They are so blinded by the political correctness which infects the gloomy Northwest that they cannot perceive the irony of their intolerance toward people from another part of the country whose crime is that they might not share their political views.

It is disheartening that there is so much of these attitudes in this part of the country. Its infection has spread from the smug millionaires of Seattle to their imitators in Spokane, with their deep and abiding hypocrisy, and their contempt for others whose worldview is not restricted by this dark and miserable climate.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 04-20-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Yeah, and I have no political view whatsoever. My religion teaches me to be politically neutral, and I am appreciating the wisdom of that more and more as I age. I could care less what a Dem. or a Repub. thinks about my religion, too. To me, the God I serve comes before the Fed.'s and the State. And my family...and yes, even my beautiful wife. But, and it's a big but, my religion teaches me the truth from God's Word. And God's Word tells me to love my wife as I do my own body. Take care of her, nurture her, help her to grow.

Love her and cherish her. The most important day of my life was April 19,1980. It was in Edmonds, War-shing-ton, and the brother who called on me went to the Aurora Village Congregation. Am I ever glad I wasn't too much of a haughty know-it-all ta say no to his invitation to study the Bible with him. I accepted, asked him before the study was to begin if I could stop anytime I wanted to.

"Of course you can, elkotronics!"

Fortunately my brain wasn't slanted by the evil politics of this world and my mind was eager to be taught. Taught the truth from God's Word, the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area