Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 42,719 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're visting Spokane from Portland next weekend. Does anyone have reccomendations, of things that you "must do or see" while visiting? (We have gotten our visitors packet from Visit Spokane-thought I'd get input from someone who actually lives there)

The main reason we're visiting, is because I'm looking to move out of Portland, OR....well Oregon period.

So with that being said if all of the great (and not so great) things I've heard of Spokane are true... I will pack my things, & start an adventure.

Thank you in advance!
Kimmy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
Must do: Walk through Riverfront Park and over the bridges to see the river. Visit Manito Park & the Japanese Gardens. The other gardens are probably not at their best yet, but you can walk through them -- Duncan Gardens and the adjacent perennial gardens.
Go to Riverpark Square. Walk through the Davenport Hotel. Drive along High Drive. Take a drive up to Mt. Spokane, if you have a good winter vehicle. Have pizza at Beniditto's. Have coffee at one of the independent coffee houses (Starbuck's is okay, but check out one of the locals). Visit the MAC - Museum of Arts & Culture. Tour the St. John's Cathedral.
That should give you a good feel for things that are great about living in Spokane. I'm sure other people have suggestions, too...

Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Wendy covered the most popular destinations. There are a couple I recommend. First, visit Riverside State Park. It's on the northwest side of town. The Spokane River flows strongly through the 'Bowl and Pitcher' area. Walk over the swinging bridge for a mild thrill. Make it more thrilling by getting the bridge to swing!

Second, drive up to the Indian Rock paintings, also in North Spokane. A quick walk from the parking area will lead you to the paintings (they are behind metal bars to keep out vandals), and if you like you can hike the trail further down the Little Spokane River. It's a gorgeous area that's off the beaten path and not many people are aware of.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:57 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,473 times
The above lists are pretty good. Are there any activites you're particularly interested in, things you like to do on vacation (or around Portland)? To go along with the Manito Park/Duncan Gardens advice you can always check out the conservatory there (which is always in bloom). If the weather is good you might want to walk or rent a bike and check out the centenial trail (runs from downtown to coeur d' alene (though I wouldn't recommend going that far unless you know what you're getting into). There are several wineries around town and there is a tour you can take if you're interested. You can have lunch at Domini's (big, big deli sandwhices) and breakfast at Frank's Diner, both are local favorites. If you have a car and are adept at avoiding the post-winter potholes you cand take the city drive tour. It is a drive that takes you through various parts of town with signs marking the way. Check out Browne's Addition (where the MAC is) for a nice little neighborhood spot (next to downtown). Coeur d' Alene is also a nice daytrip to see the lake and have lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area