Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
I haven't looked into the Montana for the same reason I haven't looked into Idaho. I can deal with a state income tax but 7% no thanks
No sales tax though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:20 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
You've got to look at all taxes though, not just income. Property, sales, and business taxes are going to be widely different between the states.

Forbes (low is good) has Idaho ranked 25th, Washington 23rd, and Montana at 13th.

WalletHub (high is good) says Washington is 33rd, Idaho 39th, and Montana 41st.

And lastly the Tax Foundation (high is good) says Idaho is 26th, Washington 28th, and Montana 38th.

Anyway you slice it Montana has lower taxes than the other 2, and the other 2 generally aren't too far apart. Unless you have a very high income and choose to live in very cheap property and purchase few goods/services then I can't imagine the income tax alone should prevent you from looking at the other two states.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 AM

68 posts, read 157,417 times
When you don't own a home and you rent the lack of sales tax doesn't really mean anything or affect me at all noticeably. Out of everywhere I've lived the most noticeable taxes is an income tax. I'm sure if I was a hold over with a family it would be different. I have started looking into Missoula though. I still think Spokane is my only best option without giving up a bunch of amenities like I would if I went to Wyoming

Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
When you don't own a home and you rent the lack of sales tax doesn't really mean anything or affect me at all noticeably. Out of everywhere I've lived the most noticeable taxes is an income tax. I'm sure if I was a hold over with a family it would be different. I have started looking into Missoula though. I still think Spokane is my only best option without giving up a bunch of amenities like I would if I went to Wyoming
What does renting have to do with sales tax? Property tax is what doesn't affect you when you rent but unless you never buy anything at all sales tax affects you every day.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 AM

68 posts, read 157,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What does renting have to do with sales tax? Property tax is what doesn't affect you when you rent but unless you never buy anything at all sales tax affects you every day.
I just meant that income tax is the most noticeable tax for someone in my situation. The only thing I really ever buy is groceries other than that if I'm not at work I'm outside enjoying the outdoors especially in the winter. You can't keep me inside during a snowy winter. I'm actually shocked Kalispell has so many amenities for a town of only 30,000 people. I have started looking into Kalispell and Missoula even though the income tax may be noticeable but it's better than having to deal with a dry winter LOL. I guess its a small price to pay

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 08-06-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I just meant that income tax is the most noticeable tax for someone in my situation. The only thing I really ever buy is groceries other than that if I'm not at work I'm outside enjoying the outdoors especially in the winter. You can't keep me inside during a snowy winter. I'm actually shocked Kalispell has so many amenities for a town of only 30,000 people. I have started looking into Kalispell and Missoula even though the income tax may be noticeable but it's better than having to deal with a dry winter LOL. Small price to pay
I lived outside of Kalispell for years and the first thing I'd tell you is in our (family) opinion it's way better than Missoula given what you say. Missoula is too citified for our liking and has become way too liberal, probably due to it being a college town. We as well as our friends just want to enjoy our area and be left alone by the powers that be as much as possible.

The flathead is NOT for people who aren't active during all seasons. If one is not an outdoorsman/woman who is a summer/winter person you will be bored stiff there. If you're like you say then you'd be happy as heck in the Flathead.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:13 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681
When you don't own a home and you rent the lack of sales tax doesn't really mean anything or affect me at all noticeably.
Property taxes affect renters too. If there's a high property tax rate, it increases rent. Just because you don't the exact number taken out of your check every month doesn't mean it isn't there. And depending on your income and other situations, it's not like all of your income is subjected to the max rates. I dunno, I just don't think the presence of an income tax should be a huge deterrent. State is going to get your money one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681
I'm actually shocked Kalispell has so many amenities for a town of only 30,000 people. I have started looking into Kalispell and Missoula even though the income tax may be noticeable but it's better than having to deal with a dry winter LOL. I guess its a small price to pay
When looking at western cities I've found that looking at the population of the county (or multiple counties) that make up the Metropolitan or Micropolitan Statistical Area are a better indicator of what kind of services will be available. Kalispell is only about 22,000 people. But it's the shopping and commercial center for Flathead County (98,000) as well as one of the major gateways into Glacier National Park. A good chunk of Lincoln county would also do their big shopping in Kalispell. When you factor that in, the level of amenities make a bit more sense.

Honestly, given that you really love Wyoming, you love outdoor recreation, and greatly enjoy snow and winter time and even want it to stay cold and gray well into spring time to make that snow last - the Flathead Valley sound perfect for you. I'll put it another way, Glacier National Park and the surrounding mountains contain the highest concentration of wolverines in the lower 48. It's so snowy and so cold and so remote that it's the perfect place for them to raise their kits in deep snowpack all the way into Spring.

There's an amazing amount of wild backcountry and a couple of downhill skiing resorts within easy driving distance. When things finally warm up there's tons of lakes and rivers, hiking, etc. to be done. If I thought my wife could handle the persistent cold temps Kalipsell would definitely be on my short list.

I'd poke around and do some research on your income level, basic cost of living and rent, etc. and then check taxes to see if Kalispell would be that much more expensive than Spokane. Unless you make a ton of money *and* never spend any of it, I can't imagine the actual tax burden (income, corporate, sales, property, etc.) is going to be significantly different. Even then, you might consider it worth it because you're gonna have more of that snow (and for longer) than in E. Washington.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
Quote:
I just meant that income tax is the most noticeable tax for someone in my situation. The only thing I really ever buy is groceries other than that if I'm not at work I'm outside enjoying the outdoors especially in the winter. You can't keep me inside during a snowy winter. I'm actually shocked Kalispell has so many amenities for a town of only 30,000 people. I have started looking into Kalispell and Missoula even though the income tax may be noticeable but it's better than having to deal with a dry winter LOL. I guess its a small price to pay
Kalispell is 6% more expensive than Spokane.

Housing
is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Housing is 16% more expensive in Kalispell.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Well as for your crime rate I'm kind of used to that I don't think anything is as bad as I dealt with in Rochester New York. I went to have a nice afternoon out and see a movie and came out to my car on cement blocks. It was stripped of anything of value. Yikes! Rochester New York had the highest crime rate I think I've ever experienced.

As for your winter I would like to know when the first snow normally is and when the last snow normally is. Is there normally snow on the ground for Christmas? Does snow normally stick around all winter? I know last year was a really odd year so we can't really compare it to that
Ouch that sucks. What Theater? I lived in Rochester twice growing up, but I was in the suburbs. Back then 70s and 90s most of the crime was downtown, but the only time I remember seeing cars on cinder blocks was in NYC area in the same timeframe. I've had my car broken into in Philadelphia suburbs...that's a regular thing here.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:16 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
4 out of 5 winters were quite mild during my time in Spokane. The weather is probably one of the things I liked most about the Spokane area.

Cost of living, a big plus......although the affordability has gone down with the nationwide surge in home prices and food, yikes food costs!!!!

Boring city to me, I am not big on hiking/outdoorsy stuff, tractor-pulls or being around a lot of people. I am a pretty crummy and creepy person.....that being said, most of the people in Spokane I purposely avoided. Going into the local Walmart is, for me, depressing, stressful and sometimes very troubling. The enforcement of basic civility-laws is nonexistent, from what I observed......this is a green-light for Humans to amp-up their antisocial-behavior. The Boomcar thing is Spokane is probably the worst out of any place I have lived.

Overall I would give Spokane a 4 out of 10, YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area