Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,041 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Me and my family are looking to move to spokane county. I initially wanted to live in spokane valley or millwood area, but after doing some reading on the forums I've become concerned that it would be too dangerous to raise a family. I am also interested in living in Cheney. So I was wondering if there is a huge difference in crime rates from cheney to spokane valley. I've looked up the statistics but I know those don't always give you an accurate idea. So I wanted to hear some personal opinions from people who have frequented both towns. In spokane valley are you really going to see meth heads laying in the streets in abundance and get your car stolen? Is there a visible and obvious drug problem throughout the town of cheney as well? Do you think that the odds of being a victim of theft or a violent crime is higher in spokane or cheney? Does either town have a nice downtown area, like with lights and decorations and parades during holiday seasons?

Also, I am concerned about the snow. I've never lived in the snow and I was wondering how dangerous it is to drive in this county in the winter? How many months is it actively snowing? Does the snow usually melt after February or is it common to see snow until may? Do homes get snowed in where you cant even open your front door? If you live within city limits are the roads always cleared? If you live in the country do they clear the streets often there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
I live in East Spokane Valley (almost in Liberty Lake) and I have never seen any meth heads laying in the streets.

I have never been a victim of a crime nor have I ever felt threatened as such.

Spokane usually gets 45" of snow per winter, but that varies. Last winter was brutal. As far as it snows where you can't open your door...I would venture that is RARE!!! The main roads are plowed pretty well. As far as the country roads, that is last on the list. I have never had a problem getting to work from my house to Downtown Spokane.

If you have never lived in the snow, you will have fun learning. It takes some getting used to.

If Spokane Valley was so bad to raise a family, why is the Central Valley School District recognized as one of the best in the state? It gets 4 out of 5 stars on most ratings I have seen.

But overall, if you want to stereotype Spokane Valley or Cheney from message boards, that is your choice, but until you experience it, you might be selling yourself short.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,041 times
Thanks for the reply. Do you recall how long the snow stays on the ground? Is it usually gone by spring?
My intention wasn't to seem judgmental of the area, but I have nothing else to go off of but from what I read. We currently live in central California and I can't jump into a car and visit there in a day so I'm just trying to be thorough before investing in our future move.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 AM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
Gone by Spring? Yes, it is gone by Spring.

I judge the winter thaw as when the golf courses open up. In 2016, they began opening up in mid February. This year, it was late March/early April. It snowed more and was colder than normal.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins_stark View Post
............... Do homes get snowed in where you cant even open your front door? ...........
You can stop worrying about this. Nearly all homes, the front door opens inward, so you can always open the front door. Perhaps you might have to shovel access to the walkway, but you can get the door open.

If you are really worried about it, be sure to get a house that has a covered front porch. That will usually keep the snow back away from your front door.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
I used to drive from Spokane to Cheney every day. I studied at Eastern Washington University. I like Cheney area because its beautiful over there. But, its like 30-40 minute drive from the Spokane Valley. I live in the Spokane Valley and I like it here because its closer to downtown Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area