Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times

Advertisements

Mistyriver-

From where did you move?

My wife visited her cousin in Liberty Lake and said, "I could move there." We have lived our entire lives on the coast (Santa Barbara). I want to be in CLE for many reasons. Anyway, when I mentioned my tastes, someone said, "South Hill."

Is there a downtown nearby? Theatre? Music scene? etc.

I'm not a suburb person and like culture, recreation, NICE people with NO egos, walkability, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Mistyriver-

From where did you move?

My wife visited her cousin in Liberty Lake and said, "I could move there." We have lived our entire lives on the coast (Santa Barbara). I want to be in CLE for many reasons. Anyway, when I mentioned my tastes, someone said, "South Hill."

Is there a downtown nearby? Theatre? Music scene? etc.

I'm not a suburb person and like culture, recreation, NICE people with NO egos, walkability, etc.

Thanks!
I've lived all over. I was an executive brat and grew up all over the east coast, Philly, Atlanta, NJ, but originally hail from NE PA.
As an adult I lived in downtown Boston, the Boston burbs, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Flagstaff then made our way up to northern Idaho to build a "summer cabin". We didn't leave in the fall...stayed for 14 years, so Spokane was the nearest city.
Ive lived in or outside enough big cities to appreciate the size of Spokane and how wonderfully easy it is to get from my house on the South Hill to downtown in about ten minutes.

Yes, there is a downtown that is thriving. Riverpark Square anchored by Nordstrom at the heart of the "shopping district". Apple Store, PF Changs, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Nike Factory store coming into the old Macys building. It's growing.
We love the Fox Theatre, and see a lot of shows at the INB as well. I adore the Spokane airport (small, and everyone is SO NICE all the time there) and Seattle is a 35 minute flight, and Portland maybe a few minutes more. We went to Portland a couple of weeks ago to see a show that didnt come to Spokane.

I hear you about nice people with no egos. Spokane has always struck me as being very unpretentious. People on the South Hill in million dollar homes with truck campers in their driveways...you dont really see that in other cities as much.

Very outdoorsy area, so much to do in that regard with north Idaho in our backyard and yet, tons of nice restaurants and shows to go to. As many as Seattle? Of course not. But you cant live in an affordable, safe area so close to downtown in huge cities like you can here.

the downside of the South Hill: petty property crime. Don't leave car doors unlocked, things outside that you don't want stolen. But after 14 years in a place where we never locked any doors, the property crime here in the city doesn't seem abnormal to me. It IS a city, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area