Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

I also grew up in Seattle, and the clouds and rain never really bothered me. I always kind of thought of this condition as sort of a "weather blanket", comforting and soothing. However, as I have aged I have come to the conclusion that sunshine feels much better, and there is scientific fact to back that up!

Bottom line, the climates of SEA and GEG differ quite a bit. It can be stated that GEG does benefit from still being relatively close to the Pacific Ocean, and this modifies the winter climate to some extent. But it kind of ends there.

When there are cold air invasions from mid-continent Canada, Spokane likely will be in the path, while Seattle tends to be outside the flow, (with the exception of a Fraser River outbreak from Western British Columbia, which is rare), Seattle does manage to avoid these cold outbreaks for the most part.

My earlier comment about summer arriving late in Spokane also applies to Seattle. Both cities seem to have difficulty getting warm in the spring. While Seattle has a head start, with already a mild temp throughout the winter, Spokane can be downright cold in the Spring.

When summer kicks in, usually after today (the 4th of July), Spokane will become warmer than Seattle with average high temps 10-15 degrees higher. Fall will continue to be nice in both cities, and October 15th is usually the day when things go downhill in both. Spokane will start seeing frost, Seattle will start seeing heavy rain. Almost like clockwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 12:53 AM

143 posts, read 406,698 times
Easy.

Seattle x1000.

Spokane, if you can't make it stick in Seattle.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:07 PM

408 posts, read 431,306 times
I grew up/went to college in the Seattle area. If it was me I'd choose Spokane hands down every time, but it's all personal preference. The cost of living in Seattle has gotten insane and the traffic is horrendous. And personally, I much prefer the four seasons with ample blue skies/sunshine over the dreary gray and rain of Seattle.

That's not to say Seattle is bad, I just don't think it's better than anywhere else and it's not worth it to me to live in some tiny house and have some long commute to work each day. To give you an idea -- my parents purchased their house in the 1970s for about $80,000. It was one of the only houses in the neighborhood at the time. Today it's valued at nearly $1 million and there are three subdivisions surrounding it. The house was built in the 1950s. It's nothing special. The Seattle area is growing like crazy but it seems to mostly be due to the large number of big tech companies bringing in people for jobs.

For comparison, both cities feature ample outdoor opportunities (plenty of nice hikes in the Seattle area too) and a sufficient number of entertainment/restaurant options (though Seattle has more). Seattle is more diverse, Spokane not so much. Seattle is very liberal, Spokane more moderate. Don't know what else to say, I'd equate Seattle more to a smaller, much rainier San Francisco. I'd equate Spokane more to a city like Boise.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:39 PM

303 posts, read 821,762 times
I have something to add. Spent 4 + years in Seattle Metro, about a year in North Idaho working in Spokane and several years in the SLC metro. Spokane is more similar to SLC than it is to Seattle in that its less glitzy, much more conservative (yes I realize SLC is super liberal for Utah and Spokane is liberal for the inland NW, but really compared to Seattle they are conservative places). Spokane very much reminded me of a rust belt city. Think Akron, Buffalo, Rockford, IL. It has a very blue collar hard working vibe. I realize this is changing and the Liberty lake area and much of North Idaho seems more white collar and heavy on service jobs. Spokane is about like SLC for cost of living. Seattle is more like California or Washington DC. Seattle is very liberal in a snobby way at times but overall is a wonderful city to live in. Your money will go much much farther in Spokane. A 2 bedroom apartment in the Seattle metro (not in Seattle itself) will run you at least 1500. In Spokane you can rent for under 1000. Spokane and Seattle are both close to awesome natural beauty. Spokane much smaller, less traffic. Your scenery will be North Idaho trees and lakes. Seattle its mountains and Puget sound and heavy forest. Both are depressing in the winter. Spokane may be the most depressing place in the winter I have ever been. it gets dark in the 3PM hour and its grey most of the time. Seattle is warmer and rainier (and has slightly more daylight in the afternoons) I think spokane is in the wrong time zone honestly. Spokanes winters are real, grey, snowy, but milder than SLC. Seattle is rain in the winter and grey. Seattle has the best summers on the planet. 70s and low 80s no humidity and no rain. Spokane is hot more like SLC but not for as long. Both have PNW culture. Reserved, introvert paradise. Less superficially friendly like Utah. No LDS influence here

Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 PM

162 posts, read 204,451 times
Agree with almost everything you said about Spokane other than the depressing winter, and I know I am an outlier here but I've learnt to love winters after I moved to Spokane. Drinks and tea do marvels about the cold weather, and we fully embraced the gloominess of it all going skiing/snowboarding every possible day we had, especially night skiing was the best. My kids loved it. I will truly miss wintry Spokane. Trying to learn to live without a real winter season now in Australia.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Here is something else that Seattle has, and Spokane doesn’t. Stories like this:

“Christopher Rufo, one of the most valuable City Council candidates to appear in a long time, has left the race. This was his statement to supporters:
_________
"I'm writing to you with a heavy heart. After spending the past two days in discussion with my family, I am terminating my campaign for Seattle City Council.
"I had hoped that this would be a campaign of ideas, but I quickly discovered that the activists in this city have no interest in ideas. Since the campaign launch, they have harassed and threatened my family nonstop. I was prepared to take the heat, but unfortunately, they have focused their hatred on my wife and children. They've made vile racist attacks against my wife, attempted to get her fired from Microsoft, and threatened sexual violence. They have even posted hateful messages to my 8-year-old son's school Facebook page. I know that as the race progresses, the activists will ratchet up their hate-machine and these attacks will intensify significantly.
"I feel deeply disappointed about this turn of events and hope that I have not disappointed you, too. I've been overwhelmed by the support, love, and passion from hundreds of people all over the Puget Sound. I know in my heart that our cause is just and our ideas would make Seattle a better place. But my primary responsibility is to make sure my family is healthy, happy, and safe. That's not possible in our current political climate, which has been overtaken by polarization and the ever-present threat of violence.
"I've learned that our problem here in Seattle is much deeper than the city council's policies—we have created a culture of intolerance that is deeply destructive to the common good. I plan to spend the next few months reflecting on this experience and charting a way forward in a series of essays. I hope that some positive benefit can come out of this disappointment.
"Over the next two weeks, I will be refunding all of our campaign donors and will personally cover the costs incurred since the launch of the campaign. I'm deeply grateful for all of you who have made contributions and hope you can reroute your hard-earned money to other candidates in the city.
"I'm going to take a few days with my family, but please reach out if you have any questions. I'm honored to have had your support."

[End of Chris' statement]
For months we've been hearing from hard-Left people that Seattle's problem is intolerant, uncaring, heartless, "privileged" NIMBYs. Safe Seattle, Speak Out Seattle, and other such groups are routinely flamed by the hard Left as "haters" or even "fascists."
But consider what happened to Chris Rufo and his family. Who are the _real_ haters?
A sharply defining feature of totalitarians: They hope to suppress dissent with threats of violence or, if that doesn't get them what they want, then actual violence — all the while insisting they are the ones who want only to defend freedom and justice. Again: who in this town are the real haters, the real racists, the people who'd threaten sexual violence — the real fascists? The answer is right before your eyes.
Watch what they do, not what they claim to stand for. With their vile rhetoric and their threats, the ones who declare themselves "anti-hate" and "anti-fascist" are indistinguishable from the people they say are their enemies.
Poke the shiny virtue-covered crust of our city government, and the distinct odor of rot comes right out. How very convenient these "activists" have been for the progressive elites running — and ruining — this town.”

Old 11-16-2018, 08:07 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Here is something else that Seattle has, and Spokane doesn’t. Stories like this:

“Christopher Rufo, one of the most valuable City Council candidates to appear in a long time, has left the race. This was his statement to supporters:
_________
"I'm writing to you with a heavy heart. After spending the past two days in discussion with my family, I am terminating my campaign for Seattle City Council.
"I had hoped that this would be a campaign of ideas, but I quickly discovered that the activists in this city have no interest in ideas. Since the campaign launch, they have harassed and threatened my family nonstop. I was prepared to take the heat, but unfortunately, they have focused their hatred on my wife and children. They've made vile racist attacks against my wife, attempted to get her fired from Microsoft, and threatened sexual violence. They have even posted hateful messages to my 8-year-old son's school Facebook page. I know that as the race progresses, the activists will ratchet up their hate-machine and these attacks will intensify significantly.
"I feel deeply disappointed about this turn of events and hope that I have not disappointed you, too. I've been overwhelmed by the support, love, and passion from hundreds of people all over the Puget Sound. I know in my heart that our cause is just and our ideas would make Seattle a better place. But my primary responsibility is to make sure my family is healthy, happy, and safe. That's not possible in our current political climate, which has been overtaken by polarization and the ever-present threat of violence.
"I've learned that our problem here in Seattle is much deeper than the city council's policies—we have created a culture of intolerance that is deeply destructive to the common good. I plan to spend the next few months reflecting on this experience and charting a way forward in a series of essays. I hope that some positive benefit can come out of this disappointment.
"Over the next two weeks, I will be refunding all of our campaign donors and will personally cover the costs incurred since the launch of the campaign. I'm deeply grateful for all of you who have made contributions and hope you can reroute your hard-earned money to other candidates in the city.
"I'm going to take a few days with my family, but please reach out if you have any questions. I'm honored to have had your support."

For months we've been hearing from hard-Left people that Seattle's problem is intolerant, uncaring, heartless, "privileged" NIMBYs. Safe Seattle, Speak Out Seattle, and other such groups are routinely flamed by the hard Left as "haters" or even "fascists."
But consider what happened to Chris Rufo and his family. Who are the _real_ haters?
A sharply defining feature of totalitarians: They hope to suppress dissent with threats of violence or, if that doesn't get them what they want, then actual violence — all the while insisting they are the ones who want only to defend freedom and justice. Again: who in this town are the real haters, the real racists, the people who'd threaten sexual violence — the real fascists? The answer is right before your eyes.
Watch what they do, not what they claim to stand for. With their vile rhetoric and their threats, the ones who declare themselves "anti-hate" and "anti-fascist" are indistinguishable from the people they say are their enemies.
Poke the shiny virtue-covered crust of our city government, and the distinct odor of rot comes right out. How very convenient these "activists" have been for the progressive elites running — and ruining — this town.”

Definitely something I’d prefer not to have. I’ve been shouted down a few times as well for not being in lockstep with their ideas. Called a hater, a “Becky”, and “not an ally!”
I’m really over the far left and the far right.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

_________

I've said it before - many people on the right are intolerant. Sad but true.

But there are an increasing number of people on the left who are just as intolerant, all the while preaching tolerance.

That's even worse.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:13 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
The OP's post says "similar pay at either location", so I would say Spokane wins hands down with it's average home price at well less than half that of Seattle. Being somewhat of an outdoors guy as well, I see a lot more offered on the east side from the tri-cities (dirt bike track/racing, go kart racing, ORV park), the Ultralight aircraft airport/school/shop that is(was?) about 45 mins outside of Spokane, hunting and fishing, and more. I also much prefer the cold/snow over the 4-6 months of wet grey drizzle we get here on the west side. Really the only downside for me is I don't do so well when it's really hot, and all my family/roots are here in the NW so I'm kind of stuck here.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
On the flip side I sold a house in Spokane in 2005 that according to Zillow is still worth less than what I sold it for. Neighborhoods change and not all areas have come back the same. Certainly many good areas in Spokane are up very nicely at this point but just goes to show how much location matters.
Not sure where your house was, but housing has GONE THROUGH THE ROOF in Spokane. Most 2000 sqft houses are going for $400k. Most jobs, GOOD JOBS, pay less than $50K. Spokane NATIVES are NOT buying houses. Transplants from Seatlle, Portland and California are buying at these prices. THERE ARE VERY, VERY FEW HIGH PAYING $100,000 and above jobs in Spokane. Add to that that now EVERYONE and THEIR DOG thinks they have the SKILL to FLIP A HOUSE. Really scary, HORRIBLE FLIPS are happening all over. Flippers are trying to make well over $100,000 on flip. If we go into a recession (which everyone who is anyone) is saying we will, SPOKANE HOUSING WILL CRUMBLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area