Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,016 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a research student at Gonzaga University performing research on ticks. Does anyone know of any areas near eastern Washington/Spokane area (parks, conservation areas, etc...) with seemingly high tick populations? Places where your dog always picks up ticks would be useful for my team and I!

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Heagle; 06-17-2019 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Clarification of location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:31 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,686,429 times
I’ve heard people complain about Turnbull Wildlife Refuge as pretty tick infested.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM

6,270 posts, read 6,920,576 times
Your at the wrong time of year for collecting lots of ticks.

The largest tick populations are in the Columbia Basin. I lived and worked in the woods in North Idaho and those populations are very low compared to the Basin.

The lower Crab Creek drainage had a lot of ticks. So much so that the bushes literally moved with ticks there were some many hanging waiting for a warm blooded mammal to walk past!! The area just got burned over in the 243 fire so not sure how it would be next year.

Dodson Road area is infested with ticks particularly areas with high sage and Russian Olive populations. I camped there one Memorial Day and left after an hour or two after finding about 20 ticks in the tent trailer in that one hour!!

I always put tick repellent on my dog in April and May. By July, I stop applying it since I rarely find a tick after June on the dog.

IF you need tick samples now...you might want to contact the Forest Service and ask them. They might even get their field workers to collect them off their bodies for you. At this time of year, it might be the simplest way to collect them.

What is your study on ticks?? Are you focusing on a particular tick species??

Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,245,615 times
The WA state Department of Health did a fairly intensive tick analysis study for a few years. They were asking for submission of ticks by vet clinics, etc, for species identification and things like whether or not they were carrying the pathogen responsible for Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and a few other things.

I think that the funding for this dried up a few years ago, but you could call them an/or poke around on their website for the study results from a few years back.

If I remember right, Columbia Basin and NE WA had the most ticks, but I don't remember anything specifically. I am fairly sure that the entire state has a tick problem, just with differing levels of severity.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,686,429 times
I’m getting my info from our neighborhood group on Nextdoor since the OP asked for the Spokane area or NE WA. Lots of griping about ticks at Turnbull. Also in the Dishman Hills. One person complained about the back trails at Rimrock (Palisades), Moran Prairie area and the bluff trails on the South Hill. Several said the South Hill dog parks were crawling with them.
My dog is on Bravecto and he’s never gotten any here, in fact in 14 year living in the woods in northern Idaho, we never had ANY ticks.
Local veterinarians might have some insight too.

Good luck, OP...my daughter is a Zag too. At the law school.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I’ve heard people complain about Turnbull Wildlife Refuge as pretty tick infested.
Thank you for the suggestion! Right now my team and I are trying to be put on permit to legally extract the ticks form the park.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Your at the wrong time of year for collecting lots of ticks.

The largest tick populations are in the Columbia Basin. I lived and worked in the woods in North Idaho and those populations are very low compared to the Basin.

The lower Crab Creek drainage had a lot of ticks. So much so that the bushes literally moved with ticks there were some many hanging waiting for a warm blooded mammal to walk past!! The area just got burned over in the 243 fire so not sure how it would be next year.

Dodson Road area is infested with ticks particularly areas with high sage and Russian Olive populations. I camped there one Memorial Day and left after an hour or two after finding about 20 ticks in the tent trailer in that one hour!!

I always put tick repellent on my dog in April and May. By July, I stop applying it since I rarely find a tick after June on the dog.

IF you need tick samples now...you might want to contact the Forest Service and ask them. They might even get their field workers to collect them off their bodies for you. At this time of year, it might be the simplest way to collect them.

What is your study on ticks?? Are you focusing on a particular tick species??
Yes unfortunately as it gets hotter, the ticks will be harder to find.Thank you for the great suggestions, I'll be sure to look into Crab Creek, Dodson Road area, as well as contact the Forest Service. Our study at the university is focusing on behaviors of the Rocky Mountain Wood tick as well as the American Dog Tick. Thank you so much for the help.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
The WA state Department of Health did a fairly intensive tick analysis study for a few years. They were asking for submission of ticks by vet clinics, etc, for species identification and things like whether or not they were carrying the pathogen responsible for Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and a few other things.

I think that the funding for this dried up a few years ago, but you could call them an/or poke around on their website for the study results from a few years back.

If I remember right, Columbia Basin and NE WA had the most ticks, but I don't remember anything specifically. I am fairly sure that the entire state has a tick problem, just with differing levels of severity.
I will make sure to reach out WA state Department of Health and discuss. Thank you for the recommendations on where to snoop for ticks.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I’m getting my info from our neighborhood group on Nextdoor since the OP asked for the Spokane area or NE WA. Lots of griping about ticks at Turnbull. Also in the Dishman Hills. One person complained about the back trails at Rimrock (Palisades), Moran Prairie area and the bluff trails on the South Hill. Several said the South Hill dog parks were crawling with them.
My dog is on Bravecto and he’s never gotten any here, in fact in 14 year living in the woods in northern Idaho, we never had ANY ticks.
Local veterinarians might have some insight too.

Good luck, OP...my daughter is a Zag too. At the law school.
Thanks again mistyriver for another great recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area