Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 PM

143 posts, read 406,396 times

Advertisements

I don't know why no city patrons came up with this yet.

It's an extremely cheap solution compared to building/supporting shelters/psychiatric facilities, dealing with prisons/courts etc.

According to a newly published statistic 50% of homeless USA population resides in California.

Source:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

How about we put up big banners "Free bus rides to Sunny California for homeless people. $500 cash upon arrival. In-bus littering, defecation and drug use are welcome" in key spots around the city such as in downtown where House of Charity is.

Rent a few buses. Spokane only has a few hundred homeless people. That's only like 10 bus rides. And maybe $100,000 - 200,000 in cold cash. Still cheaper than any of other solutions.

And it's not putting a bandaid on a problem like all the other solutions are.

It's an actual solution. And it can be done in a day or a week.

So simple.

California won't even notice a few hundred newcomers. If we leave them at Hollywood, they will just pass for struggling actors, noone will notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I know it is already being done, busing homeless to Portland. California is probably getting homeless bused in already.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
A few hundred?
There were 5,000 homeless in Spokane in 2015 and I doubt the number has decreased since then.
The city council already gave them all free bus passes anywhere in the city (so they can drop dirty needles in parks and sleep on lawns all over the city!) so maybe they’ll go ahead and spring for bus tickets elsewhere.
But with Kate Burke on the council and with her histrionics and theatrics, I kind of doubt it.
I may lose my dem card but this situation is ridiculous.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM

89 posts, read 186,066 times
Bad plan. And I assure you California would notice.

Back in the 1980s, when I lived in Honolulu, Hawaii was quietly buying homeless people plane tickets to California (reportedly along with some 'expense money'.

When California found out about this practice, they threatened to do the same in reverse, and start exporting homeless people to Hawaii.

Point is, two can play that game, and California has far more money and far more homeless people than Spokane. California could triple the number of homeless in Spokane without much effort.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:28 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post

Back in the 1980s, when I lived in Honolulu, Hawaii was quietly buying homeless people plane tickets to California (reportedly along with some 'expense money'.

When California found out about this practice, they threatened to do the same in reverse, and start exporting homeless people to Hawaii.

Point is, two can play that game, and California has far more money and far more homeless people than Spokane. California could triple the number of homeless in Spokane without much effort.
I don’t know about the state of California but San Francisco was buying bus tickets out of town and out of state for the homeless.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post

It would be a tough sell, though.

“Okay, folks. We all know you want to leave sunny Cali and all our free bennies. How about a one-way ticket to Spokane, with its freezing, gloomy, snowy winter and a city government that can’t find its own hindquarters with both hands?”

<crickets>

Old 09-19-2019, 03:28 PM

133 posts, read 75,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
I don't know why no city patrons came up with this yet.

It's an extremely cheap solution compared to building/supporting shelters/psychiatric facilities, dealing with prisons/courts etc.

According to a newly published statistic 50% of homeless USA population resides in California.

Source:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

How about we put up big banners "Free bus rides to Sunny California for homeless people. $500 cash upon arrival. In-bus littering, defecation and drug use are welcome" in key spots around the city such as in downtown where House of Charity is.

Rent a few buses. Spokane only has a few hundred homeless people. That's only like 10 bus rides. And maybe $100,000 - 200,000 in cold cash. Still cheaper than any of other solutions.

And it's not putting a bandaid on a problem like all the other solutions are.

It's an actual solution. And it can be done in a day or a week.

So simple.

California won't even notice a few hundred newcomers. If we leave them at Hollywood, they will just pass for struggling actors, noone will notice.
Great. California is already taking care of 50% of the nations homeless and you want to send more their way instead of dealing with your own problems? I'll bet you're a conservative. You sound like one. They complain about liberals spending money to fix problems and then when they have a problem of their own they just kick the can down the road and let others pay. Way to go.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:02 PM

143 posts, read 406,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer'sBreeze View Post
Great. California is already taking care of 50% of the nations homeless and you want to send more their way instead of dealing with your own problems? I'll bet you're a conservative. You sound like one. They complain about liberals spending money to fix problems and then when they have a problem of their own they just kick the can down the road and let others pay. Way to go.
But Californians LOVE homeless people and illegal immigrants! What's a problem for us is a blessing for them. We should stop being selfish and think what's best for these wonderful, vulnerable people who ended up on streets at no fault of their own and need all the help they can get. Spokane people are kind of hostile and unfair to homeless and don't deserve to have them, and Californians are so full of love and compassion to less fortunate, I think only they can truly make these homeless people feel at home again. I say we should do our best to make homeless people happy.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
But Californians LOVE homeless people and illegal immigrants! What's a problem for us is a blessing for them. We should stop being selfish and think what's best for these wonderful, vulnerable people who ended up on streets at no fault of their own and need all the help they can get. Spokane people are kind of hostile and unfair to homeless and don't deserve to have them, and Californians are so full of love and compassion to less fortunate, I think only they can truly make these homeless people feel at home again. I say we should do our best to make homeless people happy.
Hmmm. Why do I think you’re putting us on, Mounty?

Your modest proposal reminded me of this equally ironic letter to the S/R last week:

“With all of the discussions about providing more services and housing for the homeless and the heated discussions on where the housing should be located, I have a suggestion.

I think part of City Hall needs to be repurposed to provide housing for some of the homeless. Perhaps one floor could be remodeled into small apartments for the homeless. Not only would this help the housing issue it would allow the city leaders to see, meet and interact with the homeless on a daily basis as the homeless wander through the building.

The homeless would be able to leave their floor and walk around City Hall and see other people that actually have jobs and work. The city workers can interact with the homeless and perhaps encourage them to seek employment. The city leaders will not have to make vehicle trips to view the homeless and all of the associated garbage and human waste they leave; they will be able to have daily interactions with them. I can see nothing but good from this brave and noble action.

I ask the City Council, mayor and the two mayoral candidates to respond to this suggestion.”

Old 09-19-2019, 07:02 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
If you would like to further entertain yourself, we have a 700+ page thread in the Los Angeles forum dedicated to this exact topic.

A suggestion was made that the homeless in downtown LA be bused out to an empty tract of land in the Mojave Desert, and left to their own faculties there....among bazillions of other suggestions.

The thread will keep you tied up for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area