Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 04:23 PM

44 posts, read 157,849 times

Advertisements

Hello, can someone help me to understand, in detail, the car tags and car registration in Washington State? I read and understand that they go up and down every few years, depending on some residents who challenge the state on vehicle registration costs. In researching, 'car tabs' can be $100(less) some years and $1,000(more) registration in other years for the same vehicle?? What can be expected with new vehicle costs and old vehicle costs in Washington State? How are they treated? I am posting this in Spokane area as my question is for eastern Washington costs if different from Western Washington vehicle registrations and costs. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 06:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
That $1,000 fee would only exist if the State decided to go on relative car value, and would only apply to luxury car/truck drivers as I understand it. However, right now it is a giant mess. The voters chose a $30 fee, but it has been challenged and a judge agrees...

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...-by-judge.html

In my driving lifetime in Washington I have seen very high tab rates, (thinking back to the 90's where my fee was close to $300), and recently about $60 here in Eastern Washington before this recent vote.

Western WA wants their transit money. Though as I understand it car tabs only take a fraction for transit. The ballot issue was confusing to many, and this is why the judge has put it on hold. More to come...

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-01-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 12:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
That $1,000 fee would only exist if the State decided to go on relative car value, and would only apply to luxury car/truck drivers as I understand it. However, right now it is a giant mess. The voters chose a $30 fee, but it has been challenged and a judge agrees...

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...-by-judge.html

In my driving lifetime in Washington I have seen very high tab rates, (thinking back to the 90's where my fee was close to $300), and recently about $60 here in Eastern Washington before this recent vote.

Western WA wants their transit money. Though as I understand it car tabs only take a fraction for transit. The ballot issue was confusing to many, and this is why the judge has put it on hold. More to come...
power money put it on hold

Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Judge says the $30 fee will be upheld but there are two technical rulings that will prevent the new law to go into effect for now.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...mains-on-hold/

Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Judge says the $30 fee will be upheld but there are two technical rulings that will prevent the new law to go into effect for now.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...mains-on-hold/
Time for King county to defund the other counties. No more sending billions to 33 other counties if they can keep King county from improving their own mass transit.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time for King county to defund the other counties. No more sending billions to 33 other counties if they can keep King county from improving their own mass transit.
Time for King County to stay on its side of the Cascades and get terminal trenchfoot.

Pramila Jayapal, indeed. Water on the brain over there, Mariners fans.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 PM

343 posts, read 352,822 times
Quote:
Tell you what. King County can stop funding all the other counties as soon as they stop forcing their progressive decisions on all the other counties. King County can be an island unto itself. Keep your tab charges high, everybody else can have $30 dollar tabs. But that also means votes on bag bans, gun control and everything else stays within King County as well.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
Tell you what. King County can stop funding all the other counties as soon as they stop forcing their progressive decisions on all the other counties. King County can be an island unto itself. Keep your tab charges high, everybody else can have $30 dollar tabs. But that also means votes on bag bans, gun control and everything else stays within King County as well.
That's an easy deal as far as I'm concerned. Let us keep our $3 billion a year and enjoy all the trash and guns. It's ridiculous that one county gives 33 other counties in the state $3 billion a year and they think they can tell that county how to pay for their own mass transit.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:55 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
.......if they can keep King county from improving their own mass transit.

All the voters in all the rest of Washington do not outnumber the voters in the Seattle area. The rest of the counties, even if they band together, can not stop Seattle from doing anything. If the vote didn't pass, blame the voters of Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: