U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are retiring next year and looking to move to the Spokane/CDA area! I've lived in the SF Bay Area for over 60 years and my wife is from Ashland, OR. We both love the PNW and need to live close to Kaiser Permanente facilities, as my wife has worked for Kaiser for over 30 years so we will be able to take advantage of their medical coverage. I know some people suffer from SAD in the Pacific NorthWest, but I can't remember a time when I felt bothered by too much rain! Also, I have relatives in Kamloops, BC to the north, so that's another plus. Looking forward to escaping the high prices and congestion in the Bay Area and being close to hiking trails, rivers, lakes, etc! We'll be in the area in early September to talk with realtors, if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks for any comments, suggestions or advice you may have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 01:20 PM

5,070 posts, read 7,222,282 times
We use Kaiser and live on the South Hill. Though really, there seem to be Kaiser facilities all over the area.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:39 PM

154 posts, read 145,984 times
Spokane/CDA area is different from the PNW Coast rainy weather. Expect snow in the winter and dry summer. I've never had issues with SAD there but we were very active all throughout the year and that probably helped. Good luck on the move.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We use Kaiser and live on the South Hill. Though really, there seem to be Kaiser facilities all over the area.

Thanks Mistyriver, we loved walking through Manito Park on the South Hill, when we were up there a few years ago. Lovely homes in the area with tree lined streets! Glad to hear about the availability of Kaiser facilities!

Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post
Spokane/CDA area is different from the PNW Coast rainy weather. Expect snow in the winter and dry summer. I've never had issues with SAD there but we were very active all throughout the year and that probably helped. Good luck on the move.
Hi Rumi79, thank you and good luck on finding the rental you are looking for! I am familiar with the differences on the east and west sides of the Cascades. Also, we both enjoy snow, except when driving over mountain passes or dealing with black ice. Also, we'll likely have to become familiar with ice dams and freezing pipes! My cousins in BC have told me that the weather in Kamloops has become far milder than it was 30 years ago. That may also be true around Spokane, but it appears to vary wildly from one year to the next. Down here, it's primarily drought, floods or wildfires!

Old 02-24-2020, 05:53 PM

37 posts, read 45,212 times
Hi and welcome! I also agree that the winters are getting milder here. It’s going to be in the fifties later this week and we’re still in Winter! Much warmer temps than normal. The aquifers here regenerate at such higher quantities than the national average that there will be no lack of.
If you’re still looking for a realtor, I’d recommend Guy LeFleur. We’ve used him twice in purchasing homes. He’s a veteran, very knowledgeable, listens to your wants, and is not pushy.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 PM

Hi KnightStar05!

Thanks for your post! I see that you've been up there since 2016 and that winter turned out to be a rough one! The greenery in the PNW is one of the things that is such a contrast to the brown hills we get around here for much of the year. We'll be considering locations up to about a half hour north, south and east. I think half an hour west would be too dry. Nine Mile Falls & North Indian Trail look promising. We liked Liberty Lake on our visit in the summer of 2017, as well as areas west and north of Coeur d'Alene. Thanks for the realtor recommendation. We've been using the crime tool on Trulia to get an idea of where to avoid, so hopefully we can narrow down our preferences after selling our next year. By the way, it was 80 degrees at work in Fairfield, CA yesterday! For me, that's way too warm for late February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area