U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 02:49 PM

154 posts, read 145,984 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

After a short stint in lovely Melbourne, Australia we are planning to return to Spokane. First my husband in end of April and after that me and the boys in July. I know it is winter and there is not a lot available rentals on the market right now, but I am shocked at the price tag - this is not where we left the town an year ago. I've been looking on Zillow and craigslist, but there is very limited inventory that fits the bill - min 3 bedrooms, good schools, and a garage for hubby, yard would be nice but I am starting to be more flexible in my desires. I don't want to pay more than $1600 because we are trying to save up for a down payment for a house, but that leaves me with only couple properties listed on the market.
Is there a better chance to find a rental house through a property management agency? I would love to rent directly from the landlord to avoid the middle man fees and nonsense but I also understand that people have been burned in the past by their tenants so they prefer to have some protection by using an agency.
Any advice on places where I should look other than Zillow and Craigslist?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 08:20 AM

25,203 posts, read 33,115,771 times
I advertise my vacancies on Craigslist and it seems to me there are plenty of rentals listing in or near Spokane.

It is possible that you are looking for a house that is a better house than is normally used as a rental. So many tenants will treat a house carelessly that many landlords do not buy high quality houses to rent out.

The other problem that you are running into is that tenants who have a nice house in a good area with good schools and a garage don't want to give it up. So, even though there are a lot of rental houses, the vacancies for nicer houses aren't plentiful.

Facebook has a local rentals area of their website and some landlords are listing there. You could look there.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 AM

25,203 posts, read 33,115,771 times
Also, you might try going into 3-4 different banks and ask about available mortgages. The last house I sold, my buyers put $1,000 down and had no closing costs. I don't know what sort of mortgage it was or what special qualifications were required, but it shows me that there are some pretty easy mortgages available. (late last summer, so recently)

It's worth taking a look and maybe buying a house. The mortgage lenders have really loosened up their requirements and interest rates are really low right now.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Thank you, I will add Facebook on my search list. I think you are right about the factors that play a role in the limited inventory we find. It will be hard to get a mortgage from overseas so we will have to rent at least for an year I think but I will inquire what are some of their requirements so we get prepared to meet them.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,916,783 times
Zumper
Trulia
Padmapper
Hotpads
Rentbyowner
RMLS

Old 02-24-2020, 05:42 PM

37 posts, read 45,212 times
Prices have gone up dramatically the last year. Every week, I run into someone who just relocated here from Seattle/Portland/CA. We rented out our second home 3bd/2bath to a physician for $2,200, fully furnished. It was not without its issues, there are a TON of people who set up appointments and don’t show up. We were so happy to find someone reliable and who’d take care of the place. Just make sure when you contact a landlord, say that you’d take care of the house and hope to stay more than a year. As a landlord, I’d prefer to lower the price to someone reliable.

My best friend works at Zumper so three cheers for that.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:46 PM

Thank you! I guess I did not expected such a big difference in prices over two year period when nothing else has changed in the area. We will have to readjust our expectations and keep looking.
I contacted our previous landlord but the people who got in our old rental are still there and have no intentions on leaving haha so no luck for us. I am sure something will come up eventually - I was just shocked when I wrote my initial post.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:06 PM

Update from us - the house was found and my husband even moved in last week! So it took us about three months of daily search on craigslist, Zillow, trulia and facebook, refreshing couple times a day to find our place. We rented through the owner directly as we wanted.
Now I only have to ship our stuff again across the Pacific and re-join Eastern Washington in August. We landed in the Pine Valley neighbourhood in Spokane Valley which is new area to us, but it seems fine for schools and proximity to nature (Iller Creek and Dishman Hills).

Last edited by rumi79; 06-17-2020 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or