Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,991 times

Advertisements

Went to the Lilac Armed Forces Torchlight Parade yesterday and took some pictures of the river, (which is absolutely amazing this time of year), the people and parts of the parade. There were over 200 entries including multiple military branches - active & veterans, high school bands from many parts of Washington, lighted floats, beautiful horses. The streets were crowded with thousands of parade watchers. There is a picture here of an old military vehicle that had its engine die so men jumped in and started pushing it through the streets. There was a family in front of us that had kids who held up their red, white & blue balloons every time a military parade entry marched by. You can see how many people stop in awe to watch the river rapids. It was a great day in Spokane!
Attached Thumbnails
Spokane photos-lp1.jpg   Spokane photos-lp2.jpg   Spokane photos-lp3.jpg   Spokane photos-lp4.jpg   Spokane photos-lp5.jpg  

Spokane photos-lp6.jpg   Spokane photos-lp7.jpg   Spokane photos-lp8.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,235 times
Have you taken a Gondola ride over the falls yet? It's best when the river is running strong like it is in the pics.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM

I've only ridden the gondola once and it was a few years back...that's something I should probably do again soon while the water is running so swiftly. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:37 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,564 times
Awesome! Thanks, Wendy. What a great weather for it, too!!! :~) D

Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,718 times
Be challenging to swim in that river wouldn't it ? Especially upstream.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Not for the faint of heart...
:~) D

Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I've only ridden the gondola once and it was a few years back...that's something I should probably do again soon while the water is running so swiftly. Thanks for the reminder!
OK Wendy, I saw a KHQ news report about the Falls running strong right now. I've never seen them so strong myself. If I was up there I'd take a couple of gondola rides.

It's up to you now.

Take your camera and get some shots while you in the mist please.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
There were over 200 entries including multiple military branches - active & veterans, high school bands from many parts of Washington, lighted floats, beautiful horses. The streets were crowded with thousands of parade watchers.
Actually, the lilac parade is one of the few reasons I'm sometimes embarassed to live in Spokane. It really gives you that 'podunk' small town feel, as there are vehicles in the parade that really don't have a purpose or meaning (like a utility vehicle with a boom, who cares?). It's almost like we struggle to find enough cool floats to warant an actual parade, so anything goes. A float about surfing, and yet we are pretty far from any ocean?

I like Bloomsday and Hoopfest, I think they are fairly professional setups that represent Spokane well. The Lilac Parade is something entirely different, it's rather cringe-worthy. We are the second largest city in Washington, we should have something just a teensy bit more cohesive than "Well, just round up every unique vehicle in spokane and drive it down the street!"

And really, who wants to watch Elk lodge members cruise by in a van. A few of the floats are mildly interesting, but the only reason to actually go to the lilac parade is just to hang out downtown with people. I'll save my days off for hoopfest and the fourth of July

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Smile Gondola ride...

Okay, St33l - since I had the day off, my daughter and I went downtown to ride on the gondola over the falls (along with quite a few other people!). We walked over on the lower pedestrian bridge and were amazed at how wet we got from the spray! People were standing in certain spots just to get soaked - it was crazy!
We had a nice ride with some visitors from Texas and Florida. One of the ladies was out for her second ride - she said she really liked looking out at the water and scenery.
My daughter took the pictures - you can see on the last one that the gondolas were getting hit pretty well by the spray! Thanks for the advice to go for a ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Spokane photos-falls-081.jpg   Spokane photos-falls-069.jpg   Spokane photos-falls-054.jpg   Spokane photos-falls-052.jpg   Spokane photos-falls-037.jpg  

Spokane photos-falls-039.jpg  

Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Your pics are awesome! What a ride. Wish I had time (and a good reason like having already sold my house...) to jump in the car and come on over for the experience. Oh, well, another time perhaps. :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area