Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,645 times

Advertisements

Just reading through some of the previous posts and someone mentioned mold problems. Really? Mold problems are one of the reasons we'd like to leave the Seattle area. We cut down two trees in our backyard and that helped alot, but we have to be careful. We still have smelly stuffy that we brought over from the basement of our last house that has never aired out(chucking my husbands old magazines out this week!!!). It bothers me a bit, but really bothers my son. I can't believe that mold could be so awful in a climate that is a lot drier and hotter. Anyone have bad experience with this in Spokane? :~) D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 PM

62 posts, read 376,888 times
I would like to know about this too! Many of the homes we have looked at actually have humidifiers in there cause of the drier climate... I know we have to take our saline spray cause our noses get sooooo dry when we head up there...
we are going this friday... our 8th trip!! in a little over a year... can't wait! hope we find a home to call ours this time..LOL

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,277 times
You won't find too many instances of mold here except for some of the much older turn of the century homes that have rock foundations and often have some type of mold in the basement. The other common place to find mold is in the attic space of homes that have poor ventilation or have bathroom vents that don't go to the outside - they go into the attic and cause mold to grow on the roof sheathing surface. Sometimes there will be mold problems in a house that has plumbing problems, too, where water somehow gets into the foundation or into the walls. Not the norm, but it's good to have an inspector look for these type of conditions.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks, Wendy! Good. That sounds like "normal" mold problems you could find just about anywhere that you might have accidental damp. Not like around here where it's just plain damp! At least we don't have the extreme humidity that would facilitate growth like in other parts of the country. We just have to be careful and vigilant--a couple of years after we moved into this house we realized that all the wood furniture on our south side, in the bedrooms was covered with little white dots. Yucko! We bleached everything down and after cutting down two trees haven't had that problem anymore. The trees weren't even right against the house. They were just close enough that their shade helped cause the problem. :~) D

Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahatch View Post
I would like to know about this too! Many of the homes we have looked at actually have humidifiers in there cause of the drier climate... I know we have to take our saline spray cause our noses get sooooo dry when we head up there...
we are going this friday... our 8th trip!! in a little over a year... can't wait! hope we find a home to call ours this time..LOL
GOOD LUCK!!! Keeping an eye on the MLS there seems to be more newly-listed homes that have come onto the market in the last few weeks--not just old ones being marked down! Unfortunately, there are a lot more in our area, too. Including 3 nearly empty NEW subdivisions I'll bet there are at least 70 homes for sale within a mile radius of us. It's very disheartening when we want to put our home on the market soon, and stressful when you feel like you have to have your home as perfect as can be before you can list it.
:~/ D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area