Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Nate, I lived in Spokane from 93-98 while I was in the USAF as a Survival Instructor. Work took me to Iowa. I went through a divorce 3 years ago and my ex-wife moved back to Spokane with our 3 boys.

I have decided to bite the bullet and am leaving everything that I have here in Iowa and am moving back to Spokane. My oldest son turns 13 at the end of the month and I hope to be there for it.

Here is where I need some help. I am looking for a job, and for a townhouse/apt to rent. My background is in sales and in training. I was a Survival Instructor in the Air Force, and then spent 10 years in School Fundraising sales. For the last year I have been selling Chevy's.

My goal is to find a good sales job 1st, then pick a residence in that location. I am 33 years old and have no idea what Spokane is like now. When I lived there, the Valley was a dump full of prositutes, strip clubs, and drugs. I have heard that it is a nice area now. Same with downtown.

I am looking for an area with a younger vibe. Some nightlife and things to do that are not too far away.

If anyone know anyone renting, looking for a roommate, etc, or could recommend a place to look for a job, I would really appreciate it.

I know NO ONE in Spokane, and am a little nervous. I hope that I'll make some new friends here, and the 1st beer will be on me!

feel free to email me with any info. [EMAIL="qspnate@gmail.com"]qspnate@gmail.com[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 04:27 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Yea, not sure what the valley was like in the late 90's, you stated drugs and the such...Unfortunately those things you mentioned are probably around, but I don't see it on a day to day basis, this area has really changed I hear from locals, alot of newer homes have gone up all over, and I see a few are for rent directly up the street from my home. I drive on Sprague Ave often..., and seems very busy , but no prostitutes to my knowledge, then again, I'm not looking eithre... I did alot of looking around before deciding to settle down here, including south hill, 9 mile falls area and so on; and found this area sort of in the country but only 10 minutes from the Mall, all the major stores.....and theaters...

In regards to sales, and still want to pursue this avenue (considering the sales are down due to the economy) there are plenty of major automobile dealerships located on Sprague Ave., including Chevrolet, Dodge, Subaru and so on...

Renting, craigslist is always a good start, and some of the major realty offices may have some leads in regards to property management/rentals available.

I am veteran also, you can always inquire on employment possibilities on the Air Base, such as exchange or civil service positions...

Good Luck and have a beer...

Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times
Based on your description you might want to look at Browne's Addition. It has a younger feel and some things going on but it is within walking distance (or a very short drive) to the downtown core. Granted, there probably aren't any sales jobs within Browne's Addition but it is a central location so unless you're working way north or in the valley it might not be a bad spot.

There is no shortage of car dealerships in town and there are some downtown along 3rd Avenue. Lexus is opening new dealership (well, moving to a new location) at the site of an old Safeway along Maple.

You might also want to look into pharmaceutical sales. You have to spend a fair amount of time on the road (local area car trips) but it pays pretty well and the companies pay for the car/gas.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,732 times
Hi I would like to introduce myself my name is Geoff stewart,i am from Perth,Western Australia i am going to be in Spokane round dec to see the Gonzaga Bulldogs,do some sightseeing and meet some of my friends,i would like to know what too look out for as i am travelling alone,and is there a family that might want to help me out it will be greatly appreciated,thankyou for your time warm greetings from western australia thankyou

Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM

33 posts, read 106,959 times
You'll want to look out for the cold weather and a method of transportation that works in snow.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
I doubt it if snow is an issue since he said he is moving from Iowa. It snows alot more in the midwest than Spokane. I am moving away from Spokane and I will miss it. It is a nice sized town with places to go and things to do. It is a great town to raise a family. Our family enjoyed snowboarding last winter (a great activity for families). I admire you for moving to be close to your kids That is a very wise decision and your kids will be a lot healthier. Good for you!!! Try to get along with the ex... life is too short. Enjoy Spokane....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayproduct View Post
You'll want to look out for the cold weather and a method of transportation that works in snow.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I doubt it if snow is an issue since he said he is moving from Iowa. It snows alot more in the midwest than Spokane. I am moving away from Spokane and I will miss it. It is a nice sized town with places to go and things to do. It is a great town to raise a family. Our family enjoyed snowboarding last winter (a great activity for families). I admire you for moving to be close to your kids That is a very wise decision and your kids will be a lot healthier. Good for you!!! Try to get along with the ex... life is too short. Enjoy Spokane....
I think Greyproduct was talking to our friend from Down Under. Yeah, it would be a shock to the system coming from Perth, W.A. to Spokane, WA in December.
Gonzaga, I don't think you'll have much problem traveling alone in the Spokane area, or even in the Northwest. My husband(from Adelaide) traveled all over the US in the 80's--half the time by himself. His nephew was here last year traveling mostly in the southern states and had a blast. Just open your mouth and many people will be nice to you just so they can listen to your accent (of course, if you're like my husband you'd say, "what accent?" ).
:~) D

Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaga View Post
Hi I would like to introduce myself my name is Geoff stewart,i am from Perth,Western Australia i am going to be in Spokane round dec to see the Gonzaga Bulldogs,do some sightseeing and meet some of my friends,i would like to know what too look out for as i am travelling alone,and is there a family that might want to help me out it will be greatly appreciated,thankyou for your time warm greetings from western australia thankyou
Most of my best internet friends are from australia. Go figure. If you need help while walking around I agree with the other poster, just start talking to people with your aussie accent. There must be a total of four australians in spokane at any moment, so you will definitely be a novelty worth talking to.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,732 times
Thankyou Deena and Chiaroscuro for your valuable information i am very greatful and honoured for your kindness i will def let you know how my trip to Spokane goes,you can reach me on my email at geoffcstewart@hotmail.com. I would also like to know how would you go about getting a host family to stay with for a few weeks while I'm in Spokane,it would be nice to stay with the locals,any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Thankyou to all and warmest wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area