Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times

Advertisements

New Police monitored cameras in key intersections in Spokane.

Is this helpful for our citizens, to help prevent accidents?

Or just another way for our local gov't to obtain money from our citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Funny you should bring this up...my 17 yr old daughter told me this morning that she had her picture taken as she turned right on a yellow light at Francis & Division, and she's worried about whether or not she'll get a ticket. I saw in the paper this morning that most people will be getting a warning initially, so I hope that's all that happens for her. I'll keep ya posted!

Old 10-18-2008, 02:05 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Funny you should bring this up...my 17 yr old daughter told me this morning that she had her picture taken as she turned right on a yellow light at Francis & Division, and she's worried about whether or not she'll get a ticket. I saw in the paper this morning that most people will be getting a warning initially, so I hope that's all that happens for her. I'll keep ya posted!
Hi Wendy, Yes with my understanding on the local news , the warnings are through Oct and Nov should start the tickets...

Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post

Yes on both points! People definately think twice about running through a red light when they know they're going to be caught and if more people get caught, ticket revenues are bound to increase. We know that every year people are seriously hurt or killed by someone who thought they could slide through the light they knew was going to be red. Witnessed one of those a few years ago--luckily it wasn't too bad, but a second's difference and the damage would have been alot worse to car and driver.

We have some in this area and also when we lived in Australia (where they also had speeding cameras). In Australia they actually mailed you the photo. Caused all sorts of problems when teenagers were photographed places where they weren't supposed to be or when there was "another woman" in the car with some poor unsuspecting woman's husband! Such fun! :~) D

Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM

64 posts, read 233,068 times
Personally, I think it is for the best. The bottom line is it will make the businest intersections safe for pedestrians and vehicles alike. And at the same time add a little coin to the city's pocket. To me it is a win-win if the money is used properly.

For the people that complain that it is just another way to milk money out of people, I say just follow the law and you won't have a problem.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post

I think it's a little of both. I'm fine with generating revenue for the city by punishing law-breakers.

However, I will take issue with this if they shorten yellow-lights. Those are important for public safety as they give you time to clear the intersection and give other motorists a chance to slow down and stop at the light.

So, as long as they keep the yellow lights the length they currently are, or even extend them, I'm all behind the idea.

If they shorten it, and make it ONLY about money AND increase the likelihood of accidents, I am against it.

Fair enough?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 AM

26 posts, read 108,925 times
so that's what kept flashing and annoying me while having dinner at tomato street lol

Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,599 times
OK I was talkin with my friend and was wondering if you have to stop when a yellow light hits or can you still go through the light when it is yellow. It didn't turn red til after I was all the way through.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinersfan24 View Post
OK I was talkin with my friend and was wondering if you have to stop when a yellow light hits or can you still go through the light when it is yellow. It didn't turn red til after I was all the way through.
a friend of mine got nailed by one a few months ago and he "faught" it and went in front of the judge. the camera wouldn't have flashed if your car had not entered the intersection while the light was yellow. it only goes off if a car doesn't stop and inters the intersection while the light is red. so if you go into court to "fight" the camera ticket then they show you the video of your car getting nailed. you can also see the video of your ticket online before you go into court. the "good" part of this type of ticket is that it doesn't go on your driving record or get registered with your insurance company; you just pay the $125 fine and that's it.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinersfan24 View Post
You will not get a 'red light camera' ticket from a yellow light. If you believe you did then go see the video and I am willing to bet you are mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area